The "critique my shot" thread

I like the original. It's dark and mysterious.

Okay, haven't posted anything here for a while, but I need more input from people to know if I'm doing anything right with my photos.

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/re/renaultfan/2011/08/06/DSC_1829.JPG

Unprocessed, 1/30 s at f/6.3, 55 mm focal length.

It's a nice juxtaposition, but I wonder if either the foreground or the background was blurred like you used a lower f/stop number.

edit: I took a very similar shot in Chicago against Frank Gehry's Prizker Pavilion.

DSC_0303.jpg

I like creating a bit of mystery in my shots.

Last edited:
Not sure, might also be one of a few things: two separate rows of trees at different depths of field (photo was taken across a tree-lined street), or soft lighting on the facade of the building (it was a relatively cloudy day).

Not sure, might also be one of a few things: two separate rows of trees at different depths of field (photo was taken across a tree-lined street), or soft lighting on the facade of the building (it was a relatively cloudy day).

I think you misunderstood me, I was suggesting that they could be and it would be interesting. Everything looks fairly sharp on your shot.

Oooh didn't know about this thread, since I'm a newbie at this, maybe someone can critque some of mine. Don't be afraid to tell me they suck or something either, I can take it.:lol:

Unprocessed, 1/80, f/5.6 55mm
6033229771_fab366a14d_b.jpg

Unprocessed, 1/100, f/10, 18 mm
IMG_1480.jpg

Taken with a Canon 600D with a 50mm F1.8 lens, Please let me know what you think.
https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sa/santaji/2011/06/18/IMG_0220.jpg

I think a gradient filter would have made this shot fantastic. The blasted out top-left corner is a bit vague. Other than that, I like it. The composition is kind of 'halfsies' but I think it works here.

Oooh didn't know about this thread, since I'm a newbie at this, maybe someone can critque some of mine. Don't be afraid to tell me they suck or something either, I can take it.:lol:

Unprocessed, 1/80, f/5.6 55mm
6033229771_fab366a14d_b.jpg

Unprocessed, 1/100, f/10, 18 mm
IMG_1480.jpg

I like the leaf. However, I think you need to capture more of the finer detail. Perhaps a higher f/stop number would make everything appear more 'crisp' Also, the colors are a little weak, maybe some PP could bring out some contrast. I'd like to see more red in that one.

The boat scene is ok. I think if you had used less field of view, it would look less busy. I like the group of boats nearest to the camera, but the foreground is too distracting. Sometimes these sort of 'vista' shots are best capture not with a wide angle to take it all in (which never really works in photographs to me because of the lack of perceived depth) but to zoom in and try to capture the character of the scene. I love the colors though, you took that shot at a good time of day, everything looks very rich.

Last edited:
Can I get any suggestions/opinions on this?

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/re/renaultfan/2011/08/18/DSC_1997.jpg

(spoilered, maaaaaaaaaybe a very tiny bit nsfw)

I'd hit it. And the girls seems nice too.

Srsd though, nice shot saying as a layman. Seems well balanced.

I don't like the sky. It was blown out in the shot, and then the vignette (real or PSed) gives it a dark tint. Looks unnatural. NG filter maybe? Overall the tones look a bit strange. It's a bit murky. Great lookin' woman though!

So I thought I'd attempt to start doing some photography. I don't feel I am ready for a DSLR so I've though I'd start off trying to get the basics of framing first.

Warning, a lack of talent and my iPhone's camera is at work here. I did this freehand so I've attempted to compensate for the poor angles via cropping and straightening.

Always wanted a critique of this shot. It's fairly old but I always liked it.

So I'm still learning this stuff, so take all this with a big dose of salt. Someone with more experience will surely pop in here and offer much better opinions.

Argatoga: I think you're getting the right idea about framing, but the subject (the birds) are too far away in the 2nd shot. The first shot is better, but the railing that is going across the middle is distracting and detracts from your shot.

I would actually try to use one of the spaces in the railing as your frame.

An example is marked here in red:
OKIkY.jpg

Third shot: Rule of thirds yo!

Yeah it does seem in the way. The problem is the pier isn't exactly centered. I was hoping that the flying seagull would help with that. I was also hoping that the cart would frame it, but it seems too distracting even without the railing.

Last edited:
There is too much to look at in terms of landscape and not enough detail of your subject, therefore it gets lost in the image. I reckon the truck itself is more fascinating to look at than the birds. But that's my opinion.

Thanks for the help. I have another round. I think there is too much to the right (or too little to the left).

The framing of the sun in this shot was purely accidental, but I like how it turned out. Thoughts?

6307741164_20396f3266_z.jpg

Argatoga: Rule of thirds dude, you shouldn't be putting your main subject in the dead center of the image.

Emarline: I likes the bokeh and the sun, but there are too many leaves to focus on, can't really draw your eyes in on one particular leaf. The top leaf with the flare would have been perfect.