The "Things that annoy me" thread

The government - federal and state.

In one month, I will be leaving my job of almost 10 and a half years. As part of our contract, we will be getting a buyout of about $45K USD. Great, right? Well that's what I thought until I learned that after taxes that $45K shrinks to about $25K USD. So, I went to the corporate HR website to fill out a new W4 income tax withholding form, claiming "exempt" status. It turns out my company sends notification to the IRS and the state tax board asking if it's okay if I claim tax exempt status. Why do they care? IT'S MY MONEY! It's not the government's job to decide how much of my money they should let me have! Thank Crom I am moving to a state with no state income tax.

So, my exempt status may be denied by my own government, and instead of getting a nice $20-25K car, I may have to settle for a less nice $15K car. So instead of instead of driving home in triumph in this:
https://pic.armedcats.net/p/ph/phoenixsac/2011/08/24/7383118-3-5-b3498013.jpg
I will be carried home in this:
https://pic.armedcats.net/p/ph/phoenixsac/2011/08/24/7564259-3-5-0ae6edc4.jpg
As annoyances go, it's not that big an annoyance - compared to others here - but it grinds my gears nonetheless.

When I got my dad's inheritance I got similar taxes, they took an entire 100k. :|
I feel that was a little excessive.

Just think, those 100k might have been just enough to fix up dat VW.

That its not Friday.

When I got my dad's inheritance I got similar taxes, they took an entire 100k. :|
I feel that was a little excessive.

I wish I had that kind of annoyances to start with...

(Sorry, couldn't help myself :p)

It is annoying because it is every cent I have to my name, (my savings totaled a whopping 5k before it) and do to my health issues I have no idea if I will ever be able to work again, so no money is coming in any time soon and I am not sure how long the 200k I did get is going to last with the state screwing up with my health insurance. If they take too long fixing it and I don't skimp on the doctors that I need to see I could probably blow through the whole thing in a year.

I didn't know that. Also had no idea the chunk the state bit off, was so large. As far as I know, you have to pay no tax at all here, when you inherit less than 200.000 Euros. But I might be out of date about that and am too lazy to do a research.

I think it was federal that bit it off but I am still annoyed they are doing that to me when I don't have any chance at income. They are only screwing themselves over because it just makes it a lot more likely/faster that I will have to apply for at least temporary disability.

The government - federal and state.

In one month, I will be leaving my job of almost 10 and a half years. As part of our contract, we will be getting a buyout of about $45K USD. Great, right? Well that's what I thought until I learned that after taxes that $45K shrinks to about $25K USD. So, I went to the corporate HR website to fill out a new W4 income tax withholding form, claiming "exempt" status. It turns out my company sends notification to the IRS and the state tax board asking if it's okay if I claim tax exempt status. Why do they care? IT'S MY MONEY! It's not the government's job to decide how much of my money they should let me have! Thank Crom I am moving to a state with no state income tax.

Why do you think your income should be tax exempt? Sorry, but that is not how it works. You just need to get a good tax lawyer and have them work some magic.

I wish I had that kind of annoyances to start with...

(Sorry, couldn't help myself :p)

No shit.

I tried to resist, but said fuck it.

Where I work (shall remain nameless), for some strange reason they put me on the registers.

All the registers are in a fixed position and I, unfortunately have just the right height so that when they cash draw 'pops out' it hits me straight in the nuts. We are a very busy store and the register is unpredictable and opens without warning.
That's what has been pissing me off lately. I'm probably going to end up wearing a cup to work....

Reactions: h-p
Where I work (shall remain nameless), for some strange reason they put me on the registers.

All the registers are in a fixed position and I, unfortunately have just the right height so that when they cash draw 'pops out' it hits me straight in the nuts. We are a very busy store and the register is unpredictable and opens without warning.
That's what has been pissing me off lately. I'm probably going to end up wearing a cup to work....

Your Avatar alongside the 'cash draw in the nuts' story.....:rofl: :rofl: bloody brilliant :rofl:

Protective_cup.jpg

Why do you think your income should be tax exempt? Sorry, but that is not how it works. You just need to get a good tax lawyer and have them work some magic.

It shouldn't be tax-exempt, but to take 50%? It seems a bit excessive.

And it's also annoying that my company has to ask for permission from the government to let me have all of my money. It's my money, not the government's; and if I don't contribute the proper amount to taxes that's my problem - no one else's.

And it's also annoying that my company has to ask for permission from the government to let me have all of my money. It's my money, not the government's; and if I don't contribute the proper amount to taxes that's my problem - no one else's.

Ah the joys of kapitalism.... over here 50-60% of your paycheck goes to taxes directly and immidiatly whithout ever seeing it, on top of that at the end of the year you get another taxletter wich typicaly is about 10% of the yearly income.
Did I mention that for everything you buy with the money you have left after all that (about 5quid) the price gets jacked up by 21% wich goes directly to the governement aswell?

6 Governements don't pay for themselves you know....

Last edited:

Oh, they are taking half up front. That is not cool in anyway shape or form. Do you get some of that back in a refund later? If not they are treating you like you just won the lottery which is wrong too.

Ah the joys of kapitalism.... over here 50-60% of your paycheck goes to taxes directly and immidiatly whithout ever seeing it, on top of that at the end of the year you get another taxletter wich typicaly is about 10% of the yearly income.
Did I mention that for everything you buy with the money you have left after all that (about 5quid) the price gets jacked up by 21% wich goes directly to the governement aswell?

6 Governements don't pay for themselves you know....

SIX?!? How do you manage that? Wait. Do you mean city, local, national, and EU plus two others I don't know of, or do you mean "six in the last X years"?

There was a furure when they raised the sales tax here to 8% (from 7.6). Income tax varies depending on how much you earn and (critically) which city and canton ("state") you live in*. Apparently you can hit 30% if you earn a lot and live in the "wrong" place. And yet... the country runs. Admirably well, I must say. I don't know exactly how the Swiss have done it, but they have.

* I just did a calculation for a single person living in Zurich earning 100000 Francs per year - the "Steuerbelastung" (tax burden) for that hypothetical person for 2010 was 10068 Francs. So, just a little over 10%. And that's a good income here, about twice the national average, I think, earn less and you pay less tax (also in percentage terms).

There was a fly on my leg during acupuncture. I tried to knock it off and now there is a big ugly welt on my leg where one of the needles was. :(

SIX?!? How do you manage that? Wait. Do you mean city, local, national, and EU plus two others I don't know of, or do you mean "six in the last X years"?

There was a furure when they raised the sales tax here to 8% (from 7.6). Income tax varies depending on how much you earn and (critically) which city and canton ("state") you live in*. Apparently you can hit 30% if you earn a lot and live in the "wrong" place. And yet... the country runs. Admirably well, I must say. I don't know exactly how the Swiss have done it, but they have.

* I just did a calculation for a single person living in Zurich earning 100000 Francs per year - the "Steuerbelastung" (tax burden) for that hypothetical person for 2010 was 10068 Francs. So, just a little over 10%. And that's a good income here, about twice the national average, I think, earn less and you pay less tax (also in percentage terms).

1 national, wich we don't realy have at this point in time, but we have a temporary one.....kinda....anyway I count this as one.
1 Flemish governement
1 Walloonian
1 for Brussels
1 Another Walloon one (nobody, NOBODY knows how that works, even they don't)
1 For the German speaking community

This exludes parliaments (6 different ones aswell) , provincial governements and city counsils....

This is why it takes 20 fucking years to fill a pothole in the road.

When my hair gets caught in my headphones even though my hair is short (I have those ones that loop over your ear)

Not sure is this has been posted in the nearly 200 prior pages, but people who don't have a clue how to use a turning lane!

Around here, people will drive paralel to the turning lane with there blinker on (often in the LEFT LANE!) slowing to a crawl. Upon reaching their turn, they come to a complete stop, enter the turning lane, stop again (regardless of whether there is aneed to) then make their turn. For fuck's sake, enter the turning lane with your indicator on, slow gradually until reachng the turn, allow traffic to clear, then turn. How hard is that?

And the Honda Indycar commerical. Love isn't the reason you haven't had any engine failures. The reason is you have the lumps so detuned my street-legal Nova is puttig out nearly 300bhp more than your Indycars!

Last edited: