East coast earthquake: who just felt it?

Our hi-rises in DC survived without a scratch. No injuries to our personnel on site. Our other small facilities in NoVA and MD had some damage to them. Going to be putting in massive work hours for a while to ensure our facilities are safe to occupy. /me is tired.

I was sleeping haha. It woke me up but I thought it was someone being a dick and shaking my bed. Wasn't until my uncle got a text moments later that I knew otherwise.

It might not be a big one, but I do worry about the fact that nothing up there is built to handle earthquakes.

I was in a couple smaller ones in Seattle. They're kinda trippy.

Depends on what you had consumed earlier?? :p

I did not feel it up here. Just to far away I guess. I think the only time I have felt an earthquake was when I was in high school and there was like a 3.5 somewhere in northern Ohio.

It might not be a big one, but I do worry about the fact that nothing up there is built to handle earthquakes.

I was in a couple smaller ones in Seattle. They're kinda trippy.
That was my first thought too. I was surprised there wasn't a great deal of damage because of that but them mom pointed something out when they were taking about swaying buildings on tv. "Pft, when I worked in the Hancock tower it swayed every day in the wind!" So I guess the buildings are built for being knocked about somewhat which is probably why they didn't fall down.

I was in Nashville, TN when my mom told me about the earthquake. Ironic, I'm on my way to the West Coast when there's actually a quake back home. :bangin:

This morning on the radionews : A large quake has hit the US East coast, we just learned the event was so severe that the Washington monument has cracked.

My first reaction: What the fuck is this ? A Roland Emmerich movie?

Last edited:
Insurance claims adjusters will be having the most annoying time dealing with this.

Yeah, I feel for those guys right here. *thumps chest*

*burp*

Nope, that got it.

That was my first thought too. I was surprised there wasn't a great deal of damage because of that but them mom pointed something out when they were taking about swaying buildings on tv. "Pft, when I worked in the Hancock tower it swayed every day in the wind!" So I guess the buildings are built for being knocked about somewhat which is probably why they didn't fall down.

The buildings most susceptible are brick ones. Wood is much more forgiving to be shaken.

I felt it and thought it was super fun. (Disclaimer: I might be a geology student.) I was in a ground-floor classroom about 87 miles from the epicenter with a geology nerd friend. When the shaking started, we looked at each other, eyes alight. We don't get earthquakes here, so it was sooooper exciting. I laughed to myself as I wiggled involuntarily in my chair, and since I never for one moment felt that we were in danger, I also got a kick out of watching the walls sway. As soon as the shaking stopped, our prof calmly suggested that we go outside, so we did. My buddy and I made a beeline for the science building, where we met up with our geology professors and our other geology nerd friends. We were like an oasis of happy people in a desert of frightened ones. We got some really weird looks from the crowd of deeply unsettled people around us, lemme tell ya. After a while four of us took off for the bar, where we drank in celebration of the quake.

I got home to find extremely minimal damage and one monumentally freaked cat. My parents live 4 hours southwest of me and didn't feel it, so I made a little video for them. Afterward I cleaned up the mess. It took about 15 minutes, and I giggled to myself the entire time; cleaning up earthquake mess struck me as absolutely ludicrous, considering that I live in the most geologically and meteorologically stable place in the United States!

Here's the sum total of the earthquake damage in my humble abode. (Mind you, I just now noticed two additional items that tipped over on a shelf. Onoes!)

In other news, a hurricane may strike here over the weekend. I so hope it does. A week that has both an earthquake and a hurricane can only be epic.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that if I LOL at our east coast members for that earthquake, then karma will make it snow here come winter, which will of course make all the CA drivers who haven't driven in snow ever to slow down to 10 mph on every road everywhere...

So I'll just say I hope no one on here was unlucky enough to have bits of buildings fall on their cars, and I hope picking up all your stuff that fell over goes quickly and smoothly for all of you :)

I felt it on the 13th floor of a skyscraper in downtown Boston. I thought someone was shaking my desk :lol: Everyone started freaking out over it for some reason and I can't believe buildings in Boston were actually being evacuated; I hardly felt it!