The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Following the tragic death of Red Arrows pilot Fl Lt Jon Eggar there was a book of condolence on one of the stands at the Wings and Wheels show at Dunsfold over the weekend.

Hope nobody minds but I signed it thus: "Godspeed from all of us at the Final Gear Forums."

That is pure win.

Same here - they're like fighter jets that just happen to look like business jets.

Having said that, there arent many here. Most of the bizjets i have seen are either gulfstream or Bombardier. VLJs are really taking off too.

I will say, I'm more partial to the 3-holed Falcons (50, 900, 7X), but I can't think of a single 3-engine'd jet I didn't like. Something about them looks badass!

1420020.jpg

1929172.jpg

0596352.jpg

1389044.jpg

1794692.jpg

I will say, I'm more partial to the 3-holed Falcons (50, 900, 7X), but I can't think of a single 3-engine'd jet I didn't like. Something about them looks badass!

Think I prefer the DC-10 series to the Lockheed Tristar and going back, the HS Trident never really sold well nor looked that good.

Moving back to four fans, these, however, did sell well and I think looked quite cute. But I believe had some problems.

BAe146 (wiki) said:
Problems

The ALF 502 turbofans suffered from some reliability problems. The internal electronics were prone to overheating, which could trigger an automatic shutdown of an engine with no option of in-flight restarting, and certain rare atmospheric conditions caused loss of engine thrust due to internal icing.[7]

The BAe 146 experienced aerotoxic syndrome due to leakage of tricresyl phosphate (TCP) into the plane's bleed air. This has been blamed on problems with leaking engine seals.[8] Neurotoxic fumes have been known to incapacitate pilots.

Dunno how accurate this is, all I heard was some problems with the original engines.

Wiki - BAe 146

Last edited:
Moving back to four fans, these, however, did sell well and I think looked quite cute. But I believe had some problems.

Dunno how accurate this is, all I heard was some problems with the original engines.

The 146 was flown for a number of years here in Canada by Air Canada Jazz and its predecessors. While it had some neat party pieces (like being able to operate out of 3500' long runways), it was derided by just about anyone who worked with it. It wasn't fuel efficient, the engines were crap and the electrical system was uniquely British. My boss flew the 146 for several years; he refers to it as "four oil leaks connected by an electrical fault".

The only reason why it sold well was because it was the only aircraft in its class for well over a decade.

Last edited:
My boss flew the 146 for several years; he refers to it as "four oil leaks connected by an electrical fault".

The only reason why it sold well was because it was the only aircraft in its class for well over a decade.

:lol:

It is always best to have a first hand account, thanks for the info.

Yo dawg, I heard you liked planes so I put a plane in a plane:

https://pic.armedcats.net/v/vi/viper007bond/2011/08/31/planeinplane.jpg

Members of the 451st Expeditionary Logistics Readiness Squadron aerial port flight and 22nd Airlift Squadron prepare to load a U.S. Navy F/A-18 Super Hornet fighter aircraft onto a U.S. Air Force C-5 Galaxy cargo aircraft on Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, Aug. 18, 2011. This marked the first time ever that a U.S. fighter jet has been loaded into a cargo aircraft for transport back to the United States. After months of coordination and planning, senior leaders at the Navy's Naval Air Forces and the Air Force's Air Mobility Command approved a plan to transport the aircraft back to its home station at Naval Air Station North Island near San Diego, Calif. (U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman David Carajal)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/usairforce/6073226848/in/photostream/lightbox/

Oh, and here's some pictures of cars that Lufthansa have transported over the years: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150284771734004.356491.113994684003&type=1

https://pic.armedcats.net/v/vi/viper007bond/2011/08/31/285902_10150284771904004_113994684003_7643553_8066034_o.jpg

Last edited:
I saw what looked like a B-29 or B-17 do a low flyover past I-35 north of Dallas, and it had a large white "A" painted on its black vertical tailplane. Anyone know the story behind such a plane?

I saw what looked like a B-29 or B-17 do a low flyover past I-35 north of Dallas, and it had a large white "A" painted on its black vertical tailplane. Anyone know the story behind such a plane?

Wild guess, wasn't this one was it?

NineO-Nine (wiki) is based in Stow, Massachusetts, registered as N93012, owned and flown by The Collings Foundation.

Even if it's not this one, still a nice picture anyway.

:smile:

Last edited:
Dallas is the new home for the world only flying B-29. My home is on the flight path of Addison airport and every couple of weeks the plane fly's over my house. Its way cool. :)

I was quite surprised (in a most positive way) by the amount of low-altitude activity by the RAF in the glens of the Isle of Skye and around Ft. William.

I want to know how much hearing damage the guy suffered as a result of that.

I know i'm a bit late regarding the Red Arrows crash, but still.. I'm a massive fan of the Red Arrows and this was really sad news.

Absolutely some of the best pilots in the world.

It must be every pilots worst nightmare, yet he still had the skill, level-headedness and balls to save the lives of others on the ground knowing full well he probably wasn't going to survive... R.I.P Jon Egging

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14608073

Taken from the Red Arrows website:
"It is with great sadness that the Red Arrows return home to RAF Scampton without our teammate Red 4, Flt Lt Jon Egging. The pain and shock of losing Jon is still very real, and very raw, and all of our thoughts and prayers are with Jon?s wife Emma and with his family.

Whilst we are feeling a very personal grief, the public response to Jon's tragic death has been overwhelming and humbling and I would like to thank all those who have paid tribute to Jon by sending flowers, cards and letters and be assured that these have been of great comfort to Jon?s family and to us. In particular, I would like to thank the people of Bournemouth and Lincolnshire and, especially, the Dorset emergency services who have all shown great compassion and sensitivity.

Jon, as a Red Arrows pilot, encapsulated everything that is the 'Best of British'; he was an exceptional pilot, a dedicated RAF Officer who saw service for his country but, moreover, he was a selfless and compassionate friend who will be sorely missed. The fortitude, resilience and pride that Jon showed in life are exactly the qualities that define our Armed Forces and it is these that will enable us to get back on our feet and move on. For that reason, and in Jon's memory, the Red Arrows will be displaying to the public again at the earliest possible opportunity."

For decades the Red Arrow aerobatic display teams have flown at airshows across the country with nine planes in their trademark formations.
But today poignantly just eight aircraft took to the sky as they resumed training for the first time since Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging was killed in a crash.

article-2031719-0DA1A36000000578-739_964x583.jpg

:(