Question regarding video cards....

Koenig

So I'm looking to buy a new computer, one that will be able to play games like Crysis and Hellgate London flawlessly.

A few questions though:
- whether to get one or two 8800GTX's
- whether it's worth it to get the 8800 Ultra
- if I should get Vista for DX10

to answer your questions in order: two, no and yes but make sure you get ultimate and only if the price is right.

Oh, and another question. Given the option, should i take the E6850 or the quad core Q6600? I read that for most games, the dual core is actually faster.

Unless you have a lot of extra money to burn, I would only get one GTX.

I would also vote for one GTX if your monitor is under 24".

If your monitor is 24" or greater get one and test then maybe upgrade to two of them

Oh, and another question. Given the option, should i take the E6850 or the quad core Q6600? I read that for most games, the dual core is actually faster.

the quad core...for the time being it will be slightly slower, but you'll be futureproofing your system. as for the video card, 1 gtx is probably ok, but if you've got the cash, 2 is INSANE. I know from personal experience...I :heart: my superrig.

SLI is overrated. Stick to one card.

I've got the BFG 8800GTX OC2, I run this on my Dell 24" Monitor. I will have no worries for running Crysis, and full res and on high settings.
Games I play currently (CoH, HL:2, CS:S, C&C3) can all run at full res, and usually on the highest settings.

Dont bother with SLI, get a better single card. I would also consider the Q6600, its quite far ahead of the core2's.

Okay, so I guess the quad core is the one I want. I only have one issue. The computer is a gift to me from my uncle, but it's going to be a Dell (he works at Dell so he gets deals on their comps). He's letting me spec it how I want, but I'm restrained by the fact that any XPS system other than the H2C (the most expensive one) is bound to a 700W power supply and only one GPU. I have no idea what mobos Dell's come with, which worries me, because if I did get a Q6600, I was planning on overclocking it.

Hellgate's requirement is pretty low. I think the minimum req is a 9800pro. So even a single 8800GTS should be able to max it. But Crysis (from what I've read) have really high requirements. You'll probably need two 8800GTX in SLi to max it.