How to access XP drive files on Vista?

Aston Martin

Proudly supports terrible french cars
Car(s)
Cactus and Panda Classic
They're connected together, but when I try and open a folder Vista gives me 412 security access messages. I approve them, I get folder access , but then the files say access denied. I need to recover the basic types of file of the Harddrive.

The XP wasn't password protected as a windows drive

Last edited:
connecting it to xp, doesn't give me access either. Even after sharing.

They're connected together, but when I try and open a folder Vista gives me 412 security access messages. I approve them, I get folder access , but then the files say access denied. I need to recover the basic types of file of the Hargrove.

The XP wasn't password protected as a windows drive
You need to take ownership of the files. This is from memory on how to do this on 7 but it's right click and Advanced I think. Alternatively grab any live cd with Linux on it, it should mount the drive just fine and copy off them that way.

I've tried the advanced way and its still not letting me, I thought about the linux way.
I think I have a live cd somewhere, if not I'll burn one.

I tried Puppy, during boot up I got an error. Turns out i might have to change an ini file... which is a bit late, now that ive burned the bastard.
Tried another light one, Ubuntu Mini Remix which contains no desktop. Because im on a wireless network i couldn't download in the command.

Knoppix cd downloading.

Ok tried Knoppix, it went into an infinite loop of penguin hatred.
Restarted and it worked flawlessly, accessed and copied the files fine.

Having a live cd is one of those things I'll have to use once every 5 years, but they always make it soo easy.

W00t! LiveCDs are indeed awesome tho funnily enough at some point my friends' file system was so screwed up that i ended up having to use Win7's recovery console to get it back to workign order before a LiveCD worked. Also Knoppix ftw, it's the best of all the live cds.

EDIT: German engineering win :p (Knoppix is German)

Last edited:
Nice to see you fixed it. I'll post this anyway in case anyone else runs into the same problem. There should be no need for a live cd or anything to fix that sort of problem.

Basically you need access rights to both the files and folders. The easiest way is to do that use the "Advanced" portion of the security tab to propagate the necessary entries to every file.

Go to "My Computer"
right click on the xp drive you want to take ownership of
go to the "security" tab
click "advanced"
Make sure you are in the "permissions tab"
Click "Edit"

If you just want the files to be accessible to yourself, see if your user account is already listed. If it is, then click "Edit" and give yourself "Full control" or "Read and Execute" permisisons as necessary. Otherwise click "Add" to create an entry for your account, give yourself "Full control" or "Read and Execute" permissions.
If you want the files to be accessible to anyone, click "Add", and create a "Read and Execute" entry for "Everyone"

Make sure the checkbox for "Replace all existing inheritable permissions on all descendants" is checked.

Click "Apply", wait for the permissions to be applied to everything.

Profit!

Last edited:
Nice to see you fixed it. I'll post this anyway in case anyone else runs into the same problem. There should be no need for a live cd or anything to fix that sort of problem.

Basically you need access rights to both the files and folders. The easiest way is to do that use the "Advanced" portion of the security tab to propagate the necessary entries to every file.

Go to "My Computer"
right click on the xp drive you want to take ownership of
go to the "security" tab
click "advanced"
Make sure you are in the "permissions tab"
Click "Edit"

If you just want the files to be accessible to yourself, see if your user account is already listed. If it is, then click "Edit" and give yourself "Full control" or "Read and Execute" permisisons as necessary. Otherwise click "Add" to create an entry for your account, give yourself "Full control" or "Read and Execute" permissions.
If you want the files to be accessible to anyone, click "Add", and create a "Read and Execute" entry for "Everyone"

Make sure the checkbox for "Replace all existing inheritable permissions on all descendants" is checked.

Click "Apply", wait for the permissions to be applied to everything.

Profit!
This is why I love my *nix (including OS X) machines.
Code:
su, type in password, chown -r myuser:mygroup *
:D

There is actually a windows equivalent that can do exactly that (change all the permissions using one line in the CLI):
XCACLS

Thing is you probably don't have it unless you're running a server edition of windows. :lol:

There is actually a windows equivalent that can do exactly that (change all the permissions using one line in the CLI):
XCACLS

Thing is you probably don't have it unless you're running a server edition of windows. :lol:
Ewww ACLs :p I wonder if you could do it with the power shell, I haven't played with it too much.