Rental car on Nurburgring?

rahulsood

Car(s)
BMW M3, BMW M5
After visiting Final Gear for years, I finally decided to make the plunge and become a member. And I am opening with a question. I am flying into Frankfurt for a day in December end. Being a gear head, I could think of nothing better but to head to Nurburgring and do a few laps and head back to the airport. But I faintly remember from my previous trips to Germany that rental cars are not allowed on the "ring". Is it so?

Also, is it feasible to drive from FRA to Nurburgring and back in the same day? Any thoughts or advice would by much appreciated.

"Normal" rentals are not insured on the 'Ring. The 'Ring personell sometimes allows rentals on the track, sometimes it doesn't. But there are specialized rental companies like Rent4Ring who rent out hot hatches especially for use on the 'Ring. Don't expect it to be cheap, though.
Google maps estimates Frankfurt Airport to the 'Ring at 1 hour fourty minutes.

Dr_Grip - much appreciate your reply. Follow on question - I understand that the ring is really just a toll road (you pay a tell and get on with it). Are there dates that the ring is closed? I am arriving on Dec 30 and leaving on 31st morning.

Thanks much!

Scheisse! I saw the same on their website as well - but I thought that it's for passenger driving tours. Can someone confirm that you really can't just drive onto the ring? My tickets are already booked to FRA (and then onto SIN).

If this does not work, what are some of the other driving heaven things to do in Deutscheland?

Autobahn. Of Course.

Can someone confirm that you really can't just drive onto the ring?

One does not simply drive onto the ring.

No man in hi-vis, no entry.

If you're in FRA you could do the dead-straight section of the A5 towards Darmstadt. Also, you could get route instructions from previous scenic drives to/from the 'Ring and retrace them.

Last edited:
Given the date you have, I wouldn't place any serious investment into car stuff. Road conditions are fairly likely not to permit outdoor activities, and indoors may always be closed around New Years. Honestly, depending on how much usable time you have, you're pretty much screwed. Enjoy the beer instead.

That sucks bigtime. Do appreciate the candid replies though. Would hate to sit in the airport... Since I have to be there for a day anyway, any other recommendations? Really appreciate the help guys! I will drink some beer though!

[...]Since I have to be there for a day anyway, any other recommendations?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt#Landmarks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt#Museums

Frankfurt, while generally not considered a tourist attraction, has a lot to offer. Don?t know what else you are interested in despite the `Ring so it?s hard to give you any recommondations ... but chances should be good that you?ll find something that matches your interests in Frankfurt ...

Make sure to check the winter tires option or ensure that your rental has them, as not all rental cars are provided with those IIRC.
Thus equipped you might want to check out the A 45 up to L?denscheid. It is a 2 hour drive oneway. If, and it is a big IF, there are no or at least few worksites it is a nice piece of Autobahn. A lot of scenery as it winds along the mountains.

Edit: Here is little round trip to get rid of a full tank of gas:

Last edited:
Keep in mind though it is customary for rentals to do both handovers with a full tank. If you return it without a full tank you'll get a significant bill.

Thanks all! I think I will just do some highway loitering.
If you go on new year's eve around midnight, you'll have to roads to yourself. :D

Make sure to check the winter tires option or ensure that your rental has them, as not all rental cars are provided with those IIRC.
As winter tyres are now required by law in winterly weather conditions, the danger of getting a car with summer tyres is not as high as it used to be. But yeah, check that.

Thus equipped you might want to check out the A 45 up to L?denscheid. It is a 2 hour drive oneway. If, and it is a big IF, there are no or at least few worksites it is a nice piece of Autobahn. A lot of scenery as it winds along the mountains.
Well, last time I checked (end of August), the A 45, which is indeed an awesome stretch of Autobahn especially from Frankfurt to Siegen, had roadworks at about everyone of the big bridges. So it's not fun at all.

I propose an alternative including the Kassel mountains. I don't know the roadworks situation there, though.

Last edited:
http://www.rsrnurburg.com/

Rented a Clio cup off these guys last year. They specifically rent out for use on the ring, but it isn't cheap (500+ Euro's a day...). You can also ask them wether it'll be open that day.

There's plenty of other companies around there that rent out cars though, they just do some googling.

I am pretty sure they are all closed for the winter.