I need a new solution for watching videos and listening to music in my living room because my current setup consists of a half-broken laptop from the stone age and a fairly old BluRay player that can also play videos from the home network (DLNA), but is unable to decode some of the most modern codecs.
The environment in my home is:
- Network is provided for (LAN and WLAN);
- videos and music are hosted on a NAS (Synology) and can be presented via the usual network methods (SMB, SSH, DLNA).
- Spotify is an additional - or perhaps the main - source of music.
- Sound and picture are handled by an AV receiver (Onkyo TX SR507) via HDMI.
So I am thinking about buying something that can run KODI, because that seems to be the platform of choice for this.
The question is: What should the ominous something be?
- It should be able to handle 1080p video, and for the future, 4k ability would certainly be a good thing.
- Usability: I have a remote keyboard/trackpad that works with a USB dongle, but for just controlling media playback, a more classical remote would be more convenient.
- Power, HDMI out and LAN are necessary.
- Price range: I think due to the increased resolution of videos, a Raspberry Pi (whatever the current incarnation is) might not be enough, but I'm not willing to spend more than €200. Less is better.
- Availability in Europe is a must.
Any recommendations, both for the main thing and for a remote? I also have the remote of my Onkyo TX SR507 receiver which might be usable for this.
And no, I don't want an AppleTV or a ChromeCast or whatever, but a standalone solution.