[01x01] February 22nd, 2009

[01x01] February 22nd, 2009

• Total voters
I so can't help this one...

"In Soviet Russia Top Gear watches YOU!" :rofl:

Sorry.

Seriously though, have any of our Russian speakers confirmed the accuracy of the subtitles? Maybe they're really smart and funny and the subtitle dude can't translate for crap. What? It's possible...

Do you suggest that the subtitles were written by some random bloke who speaks neither language? :lmao:

Seriously though, have any of our Russian speakers confirmed the accuracy of the subtitles? Maybe they're really smart and funny and the subtitle dude can't translate for crap. What? It's possible...

It was us who made the subtitles :rolleyes:

First up, thanks to the guys that subtitled this! For those of us non-Ruskies out there that wanted to have a look at TGR, this is much appreciated.

I have to say, I find the novelty value of this the most interesting part. Seeing the TGR set, hearing the music etc ... the novelty value isn't quite as high as it was when TGA debuted, but it's still quite novel. Introducing the presenters by the cars they drive was quite a nice touch.

TGR's producers do a much better job of filming the test track than TGA. Perhaps SBS/Freehand could start using a couple of cameras on cranes similar to what TGR use? But TGR still didn't SHOW us what the track looks like! This was an annoyance with TGA, I think we'll have to wait for someone here to make up a map of TGR, although given the 'top secret' location of the track, it could be awkward.

The production values are similar, although it does seem like TGR looks a little more austere than TGUK/TGA. Maybe Wilman needs to give them a couple more lessons in production values? That's the thing that really sticks out with TGR vs TGUK vs TGA. TGA has the best production values of any Australian produced TV show. TGUK has the best production values of any TV show, full stop. I suspect that TGR is at the pointy end of Russian TV production values, but it still has a little way to go before the superficial qualities of the show (i.e. camera angles, lighting effects etc) are commensurate with the TG brand.

Now, the presenters ... I'm not sure if it was the subtitles, or the crazy Russian voices or what, but the chemistry seemed a little contrived in places. No doubt it will become more natural once they've done a few more episodes. The hatred towards the Mazda MX5 seemed put on as well.

Oh, and it must be said that Comrade Clarkson > Charlie Cox. Although Russian scriptwriters aren't much better than Aussie ones. :|

It will never be TGUK. That said, neither will TGA. What will be interesting is how far off TGA and TGR evolve from the TGUK base. I'm not going to compare TGR to TGA yet as it's too soon. TGA did evolve quite quickly, and it got better as Series 1 progressed. Will be interesting to see how TGR evolves.

A decent effort for what it is. 6/10. Will probably keep watching it. I might even pick up some Russian on the way. :lol:

Last edited:
TGR's producers do a much better job of filming the test track than TGA. Perhaps SBS/Freehand could start using a couple of cameras on cranes similar to what TGR use? But TGR still didn't SHOW us what the track looks like! This was an annoyance with TGA, I think we'll have to wait for someone here to make up a map of TGR, although given the 'top secret' location of the track, it could be awkward.
Ahem!

I actually enjoyed it, it's more entertaining than the aussie version !
Although i still wonder if they dubbed a gallardo on the porsche on the track :D.

First, I was semi-joking about who did the sub's. After watching the 1st episode I have to say that nothing stood out as ameteurish at all. I would have guessed that they were done by a professional translator...;-)

Second, I didn't think the episode was bad at all and I'm not sure why so many people on here are ripping on it. Other than the weirdness of not understanding what they're saying I thought it was at the very least interesting enough to watch and downright funny at times. I am interested in getting the 2nd episode after watching the 1st. That should speak volumes knowing that the Australian version didn't really do much for me and I don't plan on continuing with it next season.

It wasn't bad at all, but it will never be that good as the original. I'm Bulgarian, our languages are very similar, and without the subtitles i was a bit disappointed. The presentors are emotional . . like a rhino, not at all. And . . to compare grandfa's Porsche (but still, it's a proper Porsche) with nearly 3 tone diesel Range Rover is stupid in any respects. But the race, between the boat and the Boxter was good, in truly Top Gear style something's gone wrong on both sides. Sorry for my bad english.

Greetings from Bulgaria :)

Just watched it, I thought it's slight worse than an average ep of Fifth Gear, definitely worse than TGA. I'm used to watching anime with subs, so the subs doesn't bother me too much. (Just a slight comment on the subs, I think they are putting too much subs on screen at once, you usually want to keep the subs within one line, it makes it easier to read imo) But the show just seems like a bad imitation. It started out ok with the three presenters comparing each other's cars. But the SIARPC and Boxster vs speed boat was pretty bad. Still for a first attempt, I would give it 6/10.

I think overall it was an ok pilot, and I think the problems about production values and stuff will get better. after all it was a pilot. Also you have to keep in mind that this is a country that up until a couple decades ago was communist country. So i think them having top gear shows that the country has come along way since those days.

as for the cast, who knows, like both the UK and Aussie version the cast may change for better chemistry after the first season. but i do think there is a culture and language gap since this is the first TG that is not in english. But i personally feel that they did a good job in trying to be unique in the personalities of the cast rather than trying to copy the UK version too much (i.e. old guy, young guy, boring guy) and that might be why many seem to not like the show. their expecting it to be too much like the UK ver. I think if you keep in mind that their trying to put their own flare on the show it is a little more forgiving. I mean it makes no sense in watching a show thats exactly like the original. Other subtle changes like the studio set and the hosts attitudes and feelings about cars will give a different view than say the UK hosts and thats something im looking forward to hear as well.

basically i think we just need to be patient.

One thing i think is that this show is gonna have is less safety related stuff since it seemed that the guy driving the porsche through st. petersburg seemed to be going really quick through busy narrow city roads. i mean, the buildings werre going past the driver's window much quicker than i would have expected through such crowded streets. not to mention he got pulled over.

Last edited:
It was ok. I am fluent so I didn't need subtitles.

The main guy comes off like a bit of a scumbag though.

Finally got around to watching it, and this is by far the worst motoring show I have ever seen in my life, it's amazing how bad it is and how bad the hosts are.

One fits every stereotype of the sleazebag so much that I can't help but think he's a character acting like that because nobody can be that bad. He dresses and acts like he's 20 something but he's really got to be closer to 50. The other is inept when it comes to cars and can't even drive a manual than can't even handle a simple miata and has to blame the "crappy car"(why was he allowed on a car show again?). Than the 3rd is some "punk rocker" who looks more like the lost member of the Jonas brothers who like his other 2 doesn't offer anything ... ever.

Nowhere in their tests did any of them make a valid argument, they just tried (and failed) to be witty and funny. Horrid segment.

The "track" ... or abandoned parking lot fit in with the theme of the show. I didn't think they could manage to find a "track" worse than the aussies but they did, and they did it with a lot of room to spare. I've seen auto-x courses in wal mart parking lots that look better than that. If the MX5 bounces around like that what will happen when a real car hits the track? Good luck getting a zonda on there.

News was garbage, it would make the worst tg:uk news segment seem like the meat sword episode.

Tried watching the race but by than I was so tired of the show I skipped through, seemed like the rest of the show dull and unoriginal. Saw the both got in trouble with the police, much like TG:uk's boat vs car.

Literally the only positive thing I can say about the show is they managed to get more good looking girls in 1 episode than TG:Uk gets in a few series.

And why did the luge guy finish with 1:13.4, while the Porsche driven by the stig only get a 1:13.1 and the miata did 1:22.1, was it a different track that I missed when skipping or does their stig just suck? Looking online the best they can have is still sub 100hp, damp track or not there is no way it should be 9 seconds ahead of a miata. And if they use 2 different tracks than that's just stupid.

As for the score, if I could give it a - number I would so I'll just vote the lowest possible. Utter garbage.

I think overall it was an ok pilot,

Actually there was no pilot, it started regularly.

and I think the problems about production values and stuff will get better. after all it was a pilot.

Judging by the discussions with TGR chief editor it's not a pilot problems, it's the way to be. They actually mean every piece of this except the camera work - from time to time the cameramen was supervised by the more professional one. So the results are differ from episode to episode.

Also you have to keep in mind that this is a country that up until a couple decades ago was communist country.

There's nothing to do with soviet past. The russian TV just copies all the junk from the american one, throwing away the high quality standards of the soviet TV.

as for the cast, who knows, like both the UK and Aussie version the cast may change for better chemistry after the first season. but i do think there is a culture and language gap since this is the first TG that is not in english. But i personally feel that they did a good job in trying to be unique in the personalities of the cast rather than trying to copy the UK version too much (i.e. old guy, young guy, boring guy) and that might be why many seem to not like the show. their expecting it to be too much like the UK ver. I think if you keep in mind that their trying to put their own flare on the show it is a little more forgiving.

I don't know how it looks from outside, but the presenters (and the creators) ARE trying to copy the UK original.But the visuals only.There was some thoughts at the russian TG related forums about altering presenters images, but there's still no chance for changes.

Good start for the first show, few clunks here and there but I enjoyed it and will catch up the other episodes.

Big thanks to the Final Gear Subtitle crew, it wouldn?t have made sense without them! :D

Finally got around to watching it, and this is by far the worst motoring show I have ever seen in my life, it's amazing how bad it is and how bad the hosts are.

One fits every stereotype of the sleazebag so much that I can't help but think he's a character acting like that because nobody can be that bad. He dresses and acts like he's 20 something but he's really got to be closer to 50. The other is inept when it comes to cars and can't even drive a manual than can't even handle a simple miata and has to blame the "crappy car"(why was he allowed on a car show again?). Than the 3rd is some "punk rocker" who looks more like the lost member of the Jonas brothers who like his other 2 doesn't offer anything ... ever.

Nowhere in their tests did any of them make a valid argument, they just tried (and failed) to be witty and funny. Horrid segment.

The "track" ... or abandoned parking lot fit in with the theme of the show. I didn't think they could manage to find a "track" worse than the aussies but they did, and they did it with a lot of room to spare. I've seen auto-x courses in wal mart parking lots that look better than that. If the MX5 bounces around like that what will happen when a real car hits the track? Good luck getting a zonda on there.

News was garbage, it would make the worst tg:uk news segment seem like the meat sword episode.

Tried watching the race but by than I was so tired of the show I skipped through, seemed like the rest of the show dull and unoriginal. Saw the both got in trouble with the police, much like TG:uk's boat vs car.

Literally the only positive thing I can say about the show is they managed to get more good looking girls in 1 episode than TG:Uk gets in a few series.

And why did the luge guy finish with 1:13.4, while the Porsche driven by the stig only get a 1:13.1 and the miata did 1:22.1, was it a different track that I missed when skipping or does their stig just suck? Looking online the best they can have is still sub 100hp, damp track or not there is no way it should be 9 seconds ahead of a miata. And if they use 2 different tracks than that's just stupid.

As for the score, if I could give it a - number I would so I'll just vote the lowest possible. Utter garbage.

You made it further than I did before I closed it and deleted it in disgust. Pure and utter garbage and your right the main host is a sleezebag.

After reading the post here on Finalgear I was expecting something really awful, but this was not bad at all.

I agree with those above who said they have captured the crazy stupidity of the original.

The production was obviously not as good as the British version (although better than I was expecting), but the script was actually pretty good. I chuckled quite a bit.

Once I became comfortable with the subs I actually enjoyed it. Overall I'd say it seems a lot more relaxed and a lot less contrived than TGA. I gave it a 7 and will be watching more.

:)