Votes: 20 20.4%

Votes: 6 6.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters
-The American. I think I may have seen his name in a magazine somewhere. So for the mainstream audience he's just a random guy thrown in because he can drive. Apparently.
-Having a non-English speaking driver test all the main cars was inappropriate. I would have loved to hear the difference of opinion between 'normal' drivers and a racing driver.

As an American growing up around stock car racing, having Skinner on there is absolutely awesome.

Jerome speaks English, they just had him speaking in French as part of the gag.

P.S.: If someone speaking French finds the time, I'd like to know what he really said about the cars ;)
I doubt he was there for anything else than this gag.

The gist is:
The Porsche is the easiest to drive, mostly neutral. Very good drive train, you only need a couple of laps to get used to it.

The Ferrari is a magnificent car. A neutral balance. Between all 3, the Ferrari is the best compromise. Also it takes very little time to get confidence

The McLaren is the most difficult to drive. Very easy to make an error. A car for the big boys (guys?). You have to pay attention and it is difficult to make a lap. The least effective (efficace).

If you want the full transcript, then someone else has to do it, I don't understand what he's saying at the end for the Porsche and the Ferrari.

Last edited:
The opening sequence was brilliant, up to the point where they arrived at the tent. The stage thing was just too much of a "look at us, we are like rock stars" thing. Quite cringeworthy.

I was a bit disappointed about the seasons preview. There have always been three sorts of films in TopGear: the solid serious ones (like the car reviews), the funny ones (like most of the cheap car challenges) and the silly ones for 8yo (like the ambulances and police cars). I never really liked the latter and unfortunatelly, much of what I saw in the preview seemed to be just that. I hope, time will prove me wrong.

That's all I had time to watch, this night. The rest of the episode will have to wait until monday, I'm afraid. :/

Ok, the films, just as good, if not better than the BBC

I found it overall to be better than the last BBC series with CHM (which had actually been shaping up to be one of the better ones before The Incident). It was an entire universe better than the BBC's rushed-out abortion with that redheaded loudmouth radio pervert that exposed his genitals in company meetings.

As a follow-up to this post: Now that I've seen the first episode of The Grand Tour, it's confirmed that the BBC has been surpassed despite their claims of impossibility. Perhaps it is just as well that they blew up what had become one of their cultural institutions over a rather Marxist policy of 'cutting everyone's catering equally' to meet budget reductions instead of canning crappy shows nobody wanted to watch.

- - - Updated - - -

The killing off of the star segment was funny, but dragged on a bit

Judging by how they presented it, I rather suspect they've been reading all the years and years of comments on FG about Americans (and others) simply skipping the SIARPC segment on CHM Top Gear. :D

Last edited:
WIll watch again and absorb, but liked the 'Burning Van' as opposed to 'Burning Man', with a burning caravan hanging from a crane.

For the record, I was able to stream the episode perfectly legally from Finland via Amazon Prime. I don't know why it works.

- - - Updated - - -

WIll watch again and absorb, but liked the 'Burning Van' as opposed to 'Burning Man', with a burning caravan hanging from a crane.

At first I thought it said Birming Ham :lol:

I loved it. The opening sequence was as spectacular as promised. The song used at the beginning was genius. I admit to getting a bad case of the feels when the guys joined up on the road. I loved the Mustangs and, of course, the Holy Trinity. I was surprised at the final outcome, but when the bet was made I knew which car wouldn't win. I thought The American was funny. I don't know if I'd find him funny every week, but for a one time bit, it was good. I loved Conversation Street. The RAF v. USAF went on a bit long, but it wasn't terrible. The celebrity bit - well, it may have been funnier if I knew the celebs. The only one I'd ever heard of was Carol Vorderman (spelling?). The two guys - no idea who they are. It was wonderful to see Richard, James and Jeremy looking so happy. As far as a rating goes, this is like the final episode of the CHM era of that other show - it's too important to get anything less than a 10.

Last edited:
I already had an Amazon.com login so I signed up for Amazon prime (from Canada) and I was able to watch the show without a problem. Even opted for the Prime free trial so I didn't have to pay anything (not yet, at least). ;) Couldn't give it the attention it deserved, so I'll be rewatching it later. Sounded good, though.

So happy! It's good to see them back!

BTW, Jeremy REALLY needs to borrow Hammond's whitening kit, his teeth are starting to look like they're made of wood...

8/10
My only negative point is "The American", who I think shouldn't talk. Other than that, great show.

Last edited:
I am very glad to have these three back, doing what they do, insulting each other in a funny way, falling over and catching on fire.

Parts, for me, were excellent, but a few bits brought the average down.

One was that not-the-Stig didn't deliver his lines in a way that allowed me to warm up to him. I think I've read that all the shows have already been filmed so any changes won't appear until the next season, but so far I'm not liking him.

Then there was the pretend battle with the studio audience, which may have seemed funny in person but it didn't work for me on the screen.

Finally the dead celebs was fun but went on one celeb too long, I thought, or maybe the whole segment should have been cut somewhat shorter.

I do miss the News segment as it was one of my favorite parts of the old show.

Aside from these grumbles I was very happy with what I saw and enjoyed it. I expect the three to settle into the groove as the episodes go on and feel freer in their chatty insults. I'm glad they haven't lost their edge.

I think I heard Clarkson say that ep 2 will be less car focused than ep 1, so I might see more of their personalities given more exposure in there.

Great to see that it's business as usual. Just bigger and better.

As for weakest part of the show; i.e. The American;
"Some say he voted for Donald Trump...and he's already regretting it."
:lol:

I loved NASCAR guy. But that might be because he really hits home for me - I know racers EXACTLY like him.

The celebrity segment was a bit cringey but I'm pretty sure that was the point - to beat that horse until it was assuredly dead so nobody would ever ask why they didn't carry forward the celebrity segment (which, frankly, I suspect was forced on them by the beeb anyway).

This episode had a lot of extra jobs to do, so subsequent installments should flow better.

I, too, think that they should ditch the celebtrity segment.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't invite guests, only not just for an interview or because they want to plug a new film or album but rather integrate them into the films, like they did with Bruce Willis in the Skoda Yeti review. That was hilarious.

Motoring journalist > F1 pay driver? Lols.

Chris'es times were done on a flying lap, belgium's times from standing still. Starting point of the lap was also diffrent, chris at the start/finish line, f1 driver at the back of the field.

My best guess is, they actualy timed the same lap, from the start/finish line, BUT, F1 driver only had the start/finish straight to get up to speed, chris had it from the last corner.

Last edited:
The only cringe worthy parts involved The American and possibly the Royal Air Force bit. Aside from those, it was utterly brilliant, a definite throwback to the Top Gear of glory days, and it totally allayed my fears of the trio overdoing the show and failing to meet the hype. And there definitely was a mountain of hype leading up to the first episode.

But, yeah, The American. Ben Collins really needs to gain a full-time gig in the show, playing himself, of course. Anyone but The American.

Last edited:
I loved it. The opening sequence was as spectacular as promised. The song used at the beginning was genius. I admit to getting a bad case of the feels when the guys joined up on the road. I loved the Mustangs and, of course, the Holy Trinity. I was surprised at the final outcome, but when the bet was made I knew which car wouldn't win. I thought The American was funny. I don't know if I'd find him funny every week, but for a one time bit, it was good. I loved Conversation Street. The RAF v. USAF went on a bit long, but it wasn't terrible. The celebrity bit - well, it may have been funnier if I knew the celebs. The only one I'd ever heard of was Carol Vorderman (spelling?). The two guys - no idea who they are. It was wonderful to see Richard, James and Jeremy looking so happy. As far as a rating goes, this is like the final episode of the CHM era of that other show - it's too important to get anything less than a 10.

Huh?

You live in the US and don't know who Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye in the Avengers movies, also played in a Bourne Movie) and Armie Hammer (Winklevoss twins in the Facebook movie, and also Lone Ranger) are?

I'm the opposite. The only celebrity I have never heard of was the British(?) one that was laying in the studio.