Votes: 20 20.4%

Votes: 6 6.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters
I think I was so hyped about this I couldn't quite digest it. Anyway, let's discuss!

*spoilerz*

Motoring journalist > F1 pay driver? Lols.

You do realise the GT laps appear to have been done on a slower configuration layout of the track? ;)

Last edited:
Yes its old TG back, just with a new name.
Loved the inicial segment, very nice done, Clarkson reunited with his mates. Nice.
Didn't like the RAF argue with the oudience.
Overall its a 8/10 for me.

Did anyone notice that old lady's house corner has the same markings that the hammerhead?

Cheers

Heavily scripted, but I expected that for the first episode. Loved the intro! The pictures and the sheer quality of the film was stunning and I really like the tent format. Think it will get only better from here on. 7/10

- - - Updated - - -

The P1 was fastest when Chris Harris drove and compared them...

Correct, but as Harris correctly mentioned, he was in Track Mode (which is not street legal) and on Trofeo R tires.

Correct, but as Harris correctly mentioned, he was in Track Mode (which is not street legal) and on Trofeo R tires.

It's a track test, using track mode. I see no problem. With both sets of the tyres the P1 was fastest in his test.

It's not Amazon's idea to do the bleeping. The guys want it. They've all said they want to do a family friendly show and they feel that certain words should be off-limits.
If that is the case (have a quote on that?), they should simply avoid saying things they don't want people to hear. It's not that fucking difficult. :p

Hubby and I enjoyed it immensely In the opening sequence with the dozens of mad cars, does anyone know anything about the giant rolling metal bicycle rack? 8/10.
the-grand-tour-opening_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Edit: Found the car at http://firedupmanagement.com/
It's one of their art cars. Awesome piece of work.

Last edited:
I don't know if you know what a circle is, but those are squares!

Hubby and I enjoyed it immensely In the opening sequence with the dozens of mad cars, does anyone know anything about the giant rolling metal bicycle rack? 8/10.
[/URL][/IMG]

I was wondering the same thing. I didn't see it but that wasn't in that last Mad Max movie was it?

Heavily scripted, but I expected that for the first episode. Loved the intro! The pictures and the sheer quality of the film was stunning and I really like the tent format. Think it will get only better from here on. 7/10

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect what really made the difference was that Chris' lap times were done on a rolling start and the Grand Tour times were done from a standing start.

Another thing to remember about the lap times, is that the racing driver doing the driving for the Gran Tour test is a much better driver than Chris Harris.
For any proper test between 3 such cars, you need a driver that can extract the best out of all the cars.

Anyways, happy to be enjoying a new episode from the lads.
Looks very promising for the rest of the series, I'd score it 7/10.

A thing I just though of is what the hell is the point of BBC Top Gear now?
They should just cancel it, as it will just be an utter shite version of Gran Tour.

Last edited:
A thing I just though of is what the hell is the point of BBC Top Gear now?
They should just cancel it, as it will just be an utter shite version of Gran Tour.
There seem to be millions of people who say they'd go back to watching it if only it became a show about cars again.

I guess their bluffs could be called. :)

Otherwise, yeah, with TGT on air, TG ratings are surely going to drop further.

If BBC TG is all about LeBlanc, Harris and Reid testing interesting cars, I have no problem watching it. It could become a good Fifth Gear of sorts :lol:

I'm a bit disappointed, to be honest.
First of all, the "star died away" joke was funny at the beginning. It went old when they killed the second one, and was an offence against my humor when they killed the third one. Come on, I got the joke, move on now, it's starting to get embarassing!

But the thing that really put me off was the audience. It was SO american. Hysteric laughter after even the weakest jokes. Unfortunatelly, that's not the americans fault. I was in the tent, when they filmed the studio-sequences for the german episode, last week. The audience there was exactly the same. The problem is, that they really "heat the room", before the boys arrive. So everyone is super-excited by then, and you can clearly feel this when you watch it on telly. I'd wish for a much calmer, laid-back atmosphere inside the tent. This would make the show feel much more natural and homy. The least thing they could do: Tune down the audience a bit.

Oh, and when we are at tuning sounds: The voiceover is just too quiet sometimes. I totally get the idea of carsounds dominating the scene. But as for most people who watch the show: english is not my native language and when the voice is drowned by engine sounds, I really need to concentrate hard, which is a bit tiresome.

One last thing: I didn't like the comments of "the american". He seemed to be a decent driver but I'd prefer him to talk sense, rather than nonsense.

The films were alrigth, I think. Oh, and I love the new racetrack. It looks challenging. :)

Last edited:
FINALLY had time to watch!

It deserves a 9/10 for great cinematography and editing. (7 out of 10 for everything else)
Final verdict: 8/10
The American driving the M2 was awful. That's my only complaint.

Also, I am going to miss the BBC track so much.. This new track is fine, i suppose, but feels confined/cramped. I'll get used to it eventually.

My prediction for the 3 cars was: P1 > LaFerrari > 918

oops?

Last edited:
Don't know why I should defend Amazon more than I would the BBC but I'm kind of annoyed that people are putting this on Youtube. That said, if a UHD download became available I'd snaffle it up, I enjoyed watching it at that resolution through the built-in app on my TV but it did drop down a few times.

Same old, same old.

I was stuck between excitement and "this is going to go downhill like the last Series of TG".

Visuals are great, the scripted humor not so much. They are really continuing were they left and that does not really bode well for me. I was hoping (not expecting!) for something new, for maybe the mistakes and weaknesses of the show to suddenly disappear, but so far they've only really changed the Name and combined it with TG-live.

[/URL][/IMG]

Edit: Found the car at http://firedupmanagement.com/
It's one of their art cars. Awesome piece of work.

I was more interested in the 2017 Super Duty behind that thing. It had a few other prominent screen placements throughout the intro too.

NnmYlTw.png

WrCiJFw.png

Seems like a strange choice to have up there in the front row. Especially because at the time this was filmed it wasn't even out yet, so it must've been an M-plate media vehicle. Wonder how much Ford payed to get that thing in the lineup as it more likely than not wasn't chosen naturally since it doesn't fit the theme they have going there. Oh, and while getting those screencaps, I found a 2017 Raptor (white one, between the Super Duty and GTR) which also isn't on sale yet, but at least makes a little more sense since its an enthusiast vehicle. There's also a blue Focus RS in the pack.

EDIT: Another watch through. Found a Cadillac CT6. While that one is already on sale, it also doesn't fit in, and I think the plate is an M-plate from the looks of it.

n4N49Hi.png

ktnCwMy.png

Another view of the Raptor in that second shot, different location than above.

Last edited:
While I was enjoying the episode I couldn't help but wonder just how many stuffed shirted jackholes at the BBC were also watching and grinding their teeth at the new show's production quality, as it blew their poncy little attempt at a revised Top Gear right out of the water. I have to say it looks like net produced shows are the future and dinosaur establishments such as the BBC had better prepare to either change with the times or kiss their ass goodbye.

It's not the production quality. Amazon mandated them to work with 4K cameras which the BBC doesn't have, and TGUK still retains a fair number of the camera people from before.

What the BBC was missing was two things:

1. The series' attitude. The CHM era TG had a strong viewpoint that people could understand (i.e. electric cars are rubbish, caravans are evil, traffic wombles don't know what they're doing), something that was missing from a show that could only be offensive to the "right" target. Not so much "screw authority" as a "who gives a **** about what authority thinks".

2. The camaraderie. The BBC seemed to forget that chemistry can't be manufactured, nor have the created an environment where such chemistry could be nurtured.

It was good, even though it basically felt like someone recorded an episode of Top Gear Live. Stunning visuals tho, I hope in the near future we'll get more car content, the two 'tests' felt rather short and shallow.
7 points for the recorded bits
-1.5 points for the forced banter (including the American driver) and terrible studio bits
+3 points for the opening montage

= 8.5/10 final verdict after 3 runs.

Has Jeremy changed his name yet? Will the next episode have Jennifer Clarkson in the credits?