[01x01] November 21st, 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibby

Car(s)
Ford Fiesta ST & Triumph TR7
Just thought I would make a Pre-Episode Discussion thread as I could not find one.

Thought this was worth a post:
Sniff Petrol:
ATTENTION AMERICANS: Top Gear USA (featuring some shit jokes by Sniff Petrol) starts tonight on History, 10/9c.
:lol:

So Richard Porter is writing for TG USA as well as British Top Gear. It's All looking Good for TG USA.

(Sorry if this is a repost or if there is already a Pre-Episode thread.)

EDIT:
Also worth a quote:
Sniff Petrol: @Dharma115 Truth is, TG USA isn't trying to fix anything, just add another layer of yummy stuff to the TG cake. Watch it, you might like it

Last edited:
Fantastic, Top Gear comedy... :(

Surely Mr Porter's writing is not a bad thing? He seems to be a funny bastard, in my view. Although it will be interesting to see how his jokes play in the US version.

I think it will be a little shaky the first couple episodes at least, but I'm happy to have it, and will watch every US episode. Its not like you can't watch Top Gear UK AND US. I watch every Top Gear episode I can get my hands on, US, UK, or AU. I'm just worried that the show will get canned before its able to hit its stride. Its happened to a lot of shows, they never get a chance to become what they should be and all they need is a bit of time (Firefly comes to mind most prominently).

EDIT: This first one will be a bit thrilling because I've heard they are to use a car just like mine (old 300ZX) for a cheap car challenge. :)

Last edited:
lets just remember to keep an open mind and not expect perfection on the first epp. im going to make a BOLD prediction lol, some newbies will come on to the eppisode discussion after the show airs and tell us all how terrible it was because they are trying to hard or some shit...just sayin :)

Well I am anticipating it and hope to have enough of an open mind not to try to compare it to the original (all the time). Not sure if it can be done really, by virtue of the show being called Top Gear, I don't think they can escape that. But we'll see, hopefully lessons have been learned from TG AUS and past TG in USA attempts and S1 will be good enough to grow. The only real worry I have w/r to the show itself is whether the comic edge will be completely lost due to the incredible political correctness we suffer from. Still, I'm actually pretty excited.

i dont think the PC bug will show its face here, i know that the reason why the show works in the UK is because its NOT PC. i am sure that the BBC made that a point when the deal was made. then again, we dont have someone as ignorant as Jezza, lol. we shall see...

Well I am anticipating it and hope to have enough of an open mind not to try to compare it to the original (all the time). Not sure if it can be done really, by virtue of the show being called Top Gear, I don't think they can escape that. But we'll see, hopefully lessons have been learned from TG AUS and past TG in USA attempts and S1 will be good enough to grow. The only real worry I have w/r to the show itself is whether the comic edge will be completely lost due to the incredible political correctness we suffer from. Still, I'm actually pretty excited.
This is exactly the discussion i was having on the TGAU thread, on why the UK version works and the others havent yet, too much PC and feelings involved.

http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear-australia/why-tga-is-much-worse-than-tguk-46865/#post1520030

even still, ill watch every episode of it faithfully

"Top Gear, sponsored by Mercedes-Benz." Oh great.....:?

Watching Ice Road Truckers Deadliest Roads before the real action begins.

Hopefully, but doubtful, they actually are unbiased, and actually have the gonads in place to explain to any automotive sponsors that they will tell it like it is even if that company sponsors them, for good or bad.

While I hope it does well, it will probably take a few episodes to really get going.

I still haven't watched all the episodes from Season 1 from new Top Gear, because so many of them were just crap. Maybe Top Gear America will do better over time.

And I am praying it does. Maybe this will help get more people interested in what a good car is, how a car should drive and start looking at them as more than just another appliance they have to own. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.