• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

[01x01] November 21st, 2010

[01x01] November 21st, 2010

Votes: 10 1.8%

Votes: 14 2.5%

Votes: 71 12.5%

Votes: 145 25.4%

Votes: 122 21.4%

Votes: 71 12.5%

Votes: 47 8.2%

Votes: 33 5.8%

Votes: 28 4.9%

Votes: 29 5.1%

• Total voters
I thought the show was pretty good but it is missing a key ingredient - music. The cinematography had enough good elements to make the Viper chase look epic but the music behind it was... generic banjo? really? I know music rights are different in the US vs the UK and especially on a public broadcasting station but seriously, when you've already paid to close down a town to do a helicopter vs supercar chase, pay the extra few grand to throw some epic music behind it!!! It changes the scene from "that was cool" to "that was AWESOME!". E.S. Posthumus.

Worst part is that no one from the show is going to read this thread...

You know, I can't hate on TGAm too much. First/pilot episodes of any show are uncomfortable, lacking in rhythm, and generally painful to watch. I'm going to give 'em 4 maybe 6 episodes to get their 'groove' right. My only minor complaint content-wise is that I've seen these bits before, but it's gong to be difficult for them to jump out of the gate and BE TGUK.

What they are missing, though, is a sarcastic, loudmouthed, generally-unpleasant-and-bigoted a-hole like Clarkson. I figure if Ferrara is going to take the Hamster role, and Foust is going to be the really fast Capt. Slow, then what's-his-nuts (sorry, they told me his name, but I couldn't bring myself to care) needs to step up and piss people off. Based on the archetype they're trying to re-create, it's his duty to America and the world.

The hosts also need to find a way to start hating each other. It gives that spark of fun.

And finally, they need to get stupid. I mean really stupid. One of the things, I think, that brings the blessing of awesome to TGUK is the number of times you find yourself laughing out loud and saying "you guys are IDIOTS!" to the TV. (Okay, that may just be me, but I'm sure some of you can relate.) Maybe stupid is not the exact term I'm looking for, but they can't be afraid to get silly.

Right now, they're tense and dry, but I write that off to "opening night jitters". They're still better than MotorWeek or some of the more recent seasons of Fifth Gear. So, overall, a 6 with potential to be much better.

One final thing: The first time I detect that they're kissing ass to Mercedes on ANYthing...it's over. A fair review is a fair review, be it good or bad, but toadying to sponsors is what's wrong with just about every American car show there has ever been. If TGAm starts with that disgusting habit, I'll never watch again...and I do mean never.

These guys are boring! Chubby and The Mole have to go. Did they not do screen tests? My god this is almost painful to watch. These guys are trying to be funny and bombing badly. Why they didn't use someone who naturally comes off funny like Xzibit or that comedian they originally drafted is beyond me.

1 out of 10. I would put in zero, but it is not an option.

I think that the hosts just need to be themselves. I don't really like the set since it is a copy(or somewhat close copy) of the TGUK set. The table is the same as TGUK.

The overall picture I get is that TGUS is a copy of TGUK but it should not be that way.

TGUS should be a US version of TGUK not a clone.

About the Hosts:

Tanner: I never really liked him on other shows (Speed channel). He seems dry, not much of a personality.
Adam Ferrara: Don't know much about him, but he seems to be the best of the three hosts. He seems to be the most natural.
Rutledge Wood: I don't know anything about him, but I do like him better than Tanner.

The Commercial Breaks:

The commercial breaks felt the same as any other "American" show that has suspense. Suspense, Suspense, Suspense...Commercial Break....Resume segment.

We could benefit from music during segments. The studio parts felt rushed or short. Big star in Small car felt short, with very little interaction with the Star. I did like how they showed an example of Buzz's cars during the interview.

I think that the hosts just need to be themselves. I don't really like the set since it is a copy(or somewhat close copy) of the TGUK set. The table is the same as TGUK.

You, of course, realize that TGAUS has the same set as well. The set is part of the Top Gear identity. The only things that differ between the three are the track.

You, of course, realize that TGAUS has the same set as well. The set is part of the Top Gear identity. The only things that differ between the three are the track.

No, I didn't realize that. I have watched TGAUS, but that was maybe a year ago. Thanks for the enlightenment!

I've been following Finalgear for some time and watched TGUK, FGUK, and TGAU but never register to join this forum, but after watching Top Gear America 1st Episode, I just had to comment on it.

To the point:
1. I'm not from America, and I don't really read up about the three dudes who were selected to host this TGA;
2. First impression: Not bad, really;
3. The live audience sucks ... either their clappings or shoutings or response ... just sucks (do they use prompter or something?)
4. Agree with many posters, the hosts should try being themselves;
5. Cobra chase Viper: Cool Chopper and Car, but editing of the chase sucks;
6. Onboard Camera: Not only does it shakes, the colors and quality seems very bad;
7. Commercials in one segment? very bad (I don't know because I watch it through download);
8. Lambos: Cool, BUT, I think it could have been better, especially on the straight drag, the video shot could have been better;
9. Ending: Lousy, while not expecting them to emulate Clarkson's bombshell phrase, it could be something american;
10. Overall: Just ok ... looking forward to next episode and hoping it will be better.

Last edited:
All I can say is I hope Freehand and the TGAUS crew were watching and taking notes, because this is how Top Gear is supposed to be done. American Top Gears 1st episode is better than anything Australian Top Gear has produced in 3 seasons. Look forward to seeing how this one improves.

I disagree completely. I think we can compare the two.

As janstett alluded to, Old TG and Current TG are two totally different things.

Old TG was a straight up motoring news-magazine-type show with little frill. Current TG is something of Jeremy and Andy Wilman's invention, how they envisioned it to be. (As an aside, let's also remember Wilman was a presenter on Old TG during the 1990s.)

That's sorta what I mean. In a way. :)

The reason Jeremy quit the old Top Gear, and then later made it (with Andy) was because he wanted to do it the way he wanted.

Even when the new TG started, Jeremy had been doing it for years. And as one of the 'makers' of the series, he had a lot of leeway to run with it. He also writes a lot of it himself.

He already had a working relationship with not only Andy, but quite a few of the folks that transitioned over from the old series. (from what I've read) And then in the second series with James. He was clearly comfortable doing what he does. These guys just aren't yet.

These three guys, (as far as I know) don't have the benefit of working with each other for anything close to that sort of time. Nor do they I think, do the writing.

I readily admit that this series has a lot of kinks to work through, and I honestly hope it does work out. But, it's going to probably take the rest of the season to get these guys used to working with each other, and to hopefully settle into the roles.

I readily admit that this series has a lot of kinks to work through, and I honestly hope it does work out. But, it's going to probably take the rest of the season to get these guys used to working with each other, and to hopefully settle into the roles.

I think one of the biggest challenges is their filming schedule. TGUK has the benefit of being shot over a longer period of time with the segments being filmed every Wednesday so the hosts have time to prepare and gel together. The budget for this show is obviously not even close to what they have over there, so they have a very tight film schedule, which limits the time the team is together - but the cinematics and ESPECIALLY the music are hurt by it. I hope the show becomes successful because they need the budget increase. The first ever 'new' Top Gear had one of the more successful electronic tracks ever to start out ("Angel" by Massive Attack) and that continued each season with high-budget excellent electronic licensed tracks.

I honestly think their budget is either spent on the wrong things (I'm concerned they aren't going to test any 'normal cars' which has produced some of the most memorable - in my opinion - segments of the original show) or its not even in the ballpark to what the other show gets.

And did anybody else see the Mercedes commercial? I thought that was one of the holy grails - the show could not be sponsored by a car company so if they tested a crappy Mercedes they could actually say that.

-mC

These three guys, (as far as I know) don't have the benefit of working with each other for anything close to that sort of time. Nor do they I think, do the writing.

On another forum I'm on, a couple of the guys were at some of the studio tapings last month, (so they were for middle bits of the season) and they said the chemistry was pretty good by then, and ferrar was really funniy in his interaction with the audience and keeping them entertained between takes. One can only hope that he gets to have more say in what he says on the show, as right now it seems like so many sitcoms based around a stand up comedien who isn't really allowed to do his stand up, and thus loses a lot of the funny.

I've heard from a lot of sources that the middle part of the season (from episode 3 on) really pick up as far as the feel of the presenters. I also posted Rutgledge's forum response in another thread here: http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gea...eave-tga-so-that-the-show-is-sucessful-46919/

He seems a lot more real and likeable after that response.

I definitely agree about the budgets hurting the show, especially for music. And yeah, as was mentioned, they gotta get normalized frame rates so that it doesn't flop back and forth between film look and shot-on-video. But man, it's still so much better than anythig ese we've got in terms of mainstream car shows.

IN onanother forum that the average age of the people is mid to high 50s. Most never even heard of top gear or only seen a few you tube clips of it. They are all old school gear heads who fabricate, do engine swaps into old sports cars, etc. All hands on men. One guy watched it summed it up something along the lines of : why would they hire 3 metrosexuals to prance around and giggle like girls for a show about cars?

I really loved the Viper segment on the show. It was a lot of fun with some great driving, pictures and sound. I thought the Lamborghini portion was kind of boring, which is a hard thing to do with Lamborghini. A standing mile is great, but they should have added more tests.

One guy watched it summed it up something along the lines of : why would they hire 3 metrosexuals to prance around and giggle like girls for a show about cars?

Ouch, but he kind of has a point. All three come across as being very similar on-screen. (at least in show #1)

IN onanother forum that the average age of the people is mid to high 50s. Most never even heard of top gear or only seen a few you tube clips of it. They are all old school gear heads who fabricate, do engine swaps into old sports cars, etc. All hands on men. One guy watched it summed it up something along the lines of : why would they hire 3 metrosexuals to prance around and giggle like girls for a show about cars?

Should have told him is was better than yet another show with some fake gearhead being all excited about another part he's bolting on that he's been told to sell.

I agree with socorob definitely should put the commercials between segments, not in the middle of them. I'm going to give it a chance its time for American cars to get the spot light. (ssc ultimate aero)

Better than I expected

Better than I expected

I thought this would be a total disaster, especially with one of the hosts being overly enthusiastic(the fat one with the beard), that it would have nothing good at all. But it had some nice parts, like the track. Still, it doesn't deserve anything more than a 6/10, yet.;)

Last edited: