• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

[01x01] November 21st, 2010

[01x01] November 21st, 2010

Votes: 10 1.8%

Votes: 14 2.5%

Votes: 71 12.5%

Votes: 145 25.4%

Votes: 122 21.4%

Votes: 71 12.5%

Votes: 47 8.2%

Votes: 33 5.8%

Votes: 28 4.9%

Votes: 29 5.1%

• Total voters
Good first effort. Gave it a 6. Plenty of room for improvement.

They should have edited out Tanners dumb comment about high speed in what looked like within city limits.

Give them a chance.

6 out of 10.

Decent for a premiere of a series.
I did enjoy the Viper segment and would have enjoyed the Lambo piece more if I had covered the screen and only listened to it. The endless camera work of in focus--blurred--back in focus was fine for the first couple of times used, but got very annoying the longer it went on.

Someone several pages back mentioned Buzz Aldren was on the wrong side of the car. That's exactly what I thought at first. Took me a second to realize it was an American show and not British or Australian.

Definately missed seeing a news segment and hope they include it in future eps.

For a pilot is wasn't bad and I am looking forward to future episodes.

I think it's decent for a first attempt, I'm hoping it'll get better and develop a sense of identity over time.
The two biggest WTFs for me were the shaky shots that others have commented on (Seriously? I've shot in-car video myself with a crappy camera and a suction cup and it was never shaky like that), and Ferrara. At least in that first episode he brought zero to the table, he wasn't funny, he can't drive, the only thing I remember from him in that episode is delivering that one good line ('it's like being aroused at gun point') and even then the delivery was rather poor. He needs to step up his game or go (and maybe give the 'star' interviews to someone else to do, that interview was painfully awkward). Chubby seemed much more comfortable and cracked a few spontaneous feeling jokes, so he should get even better going forward.

All in all, I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Merc63 posted this in another thread, Rutledge commenting on the Honda Tech forums:

What's up guys...

Tom called me as I was raking leaves in the backyard and we talked about the thread. He thought I should drop in and at least say hello. Cool to see so many people watched...so thank you for that.

I'm not on H-T that much anymore, and I lost my old screen name because I never posted....I was one of those people that didn't enjoy it when new people asked "dumb" questions and all of the lovely H-T Elitists crapped on them. So...now I'm on because I'm working on an 83 Civic Wagon. I'll post some pics soon...VtecKidd has been a big help on it so far.

And I should definitely say thanks to Mike and Tom for vouching for me....nice dudes.

Here's a couple things I can shed some light on and maybe I can answer some questions at some point-

1. I am indeed 6'3'' 225lbs, so if the skinny bitch wants to drop the "he's making fat jokes" let me say this. I'm not fat. I can't fit in that tiny ass seat in the lambo and after 4 days, I had bruised my hips a bit. When you stand next to two guys that are 5'8'' and a buck 50, you look bigger. And if you've lived under a rock and never heard the phrase " the camera adds 10 lbs" then let me tell you that's not just a saying...Most importantly if the funniest thing you can come up with to not like me for is my weight, then congratulations..we went to Middle School together. Now say something about my mom and we'll fight after school.

2. I'm a car guy on tv, not the other way around, so I don't know much about cameras and mounts. The reason the camera was so shaky on Tanner's Lambo run was because he killed a set of $1300 tires that morning drifting that thing around the airport. As he was doing the standing mile chunks of rubber were flying off. Not something I would have done, but then again, racecar drivers are stupid

3. Brace yourself for this statement: A LARGE MAJORITY OF THIS COUNTRY HAS NEVER HEARD OF TOP GEAR. Whew. Sorry. All caps needed. We had to do certain things to explain the format to people who've never seen any worldwide version of Top Gear ever.

I think the shows get better and better...and I hope everyone will watch and tell their friends about it. If you'd rather go back to watching "Pimp my Ride" I think that's your loss.

BBC Worldwide Productions (who makes TG UK) made this show hand in hand with History. The goal was never to attempt to fill the roles of the three unique hosts of the UK show, or it would have been a failure from the start. SO what you have instead is 3 very different car guys with very different backgrounds. As the season goes on, our roles and backgrounds and what most people would call "characters" will be more defined and much richer. But that takes time. We have 44 minutes to have fun with cars and try to entertain you.

This is a sister show to the UK one. We had many of the same producers and writers that the UK show has. It is not meant to be a replacement show, but a companion. I certainly understand why everyone is comparing to the UK show, but I didn't have time to call all the fanboys like me across the US to explain what we were doing.

A tiny bit about me: I love cars. I always have. I have too many of them. I love my Hondas that I've had, and I wish terribly I was short enough to fit in an S2000 without killing my legs as is the current situation.

The highlights for me in making this show have been all the cool people I've met. Two of my favorites : Brian Gillispie from HASport and MerritITR from this here website.

Brian is one of the most down to earth people I've ever met in the auto industry and a guy who's followed his heart without excuses and has made some rad cars.

Merritt is a brilliant woman who, if you don't know, was really one of the first females in the Honda game that took stuff to the next level. Not only is she cute, and sweet, she's smarter than me and almost anyone on this board. She now works for GM and I believe in my heart she might make a Chevy Volt cool and fast.

I also have a little perspective. I'm on tons of forums because I love and have owned so many different cars. I'm a husband and a father, and that's the most important thing in the world to me...not wether or not strangers like it when I wear plaid, which I did in almost every show. I like to have fun. Whenever and in whatever I'm doing.

I also am the only host who can't wait how to incorporate a 96 Midori green EK hatch with a HASport mounted K-swap...so I've got that going for me...which is nice.

I've also had a $110,000 Maserati Cabio Corsa loaned to me for a weekend many years ago, and I got my ass stomped in it by Tom's ITR powered EG which I believe he has less than either 13K or 11K in it. Now how many other Top Gear hosts can say that?

Lastly, I hope you watch. I hope you tell your friends to watch. There's no reason we can't or shouldn't have our own version of Top Gear here in the US, and it's happening. I'm damn glad to be a part of it and I hope you watch. If you liked it, watch. If you didn't like it, watch and then get online and tell someone why.

BUT if you think this country should have bad ass automotive programming that's still part of the mainstream, then sit back, make some popcorn and watch a fun show with 3 idiots doing things in cars that you talk about with your friends.

Peace,
Rut

If nothing else, some definite takeaways they should get from this are:
1. Clean the track
2. Better camera mounts
3. Not so quick scene changing, hard to see what's going on
4. Just go to a commercial, just cut the action, show some Mercedes or whatever, and come right back in, that would make them a little less intrusive to what's going on, no talking about it, just do it, we all know what a commerci is and what we just watched.

These are very easy things to fix that would raise it at least half a point.

Last edited:
This show is a prime example of what is wrong with American today. None of the hosts articulated a proper dialogue and the conversations seemed as pathetic as the show. The Set was full of copy cat props from the real Top Gear show. If you watch Seasons 1 and 2 of TG UK they sucked too really boring, not exciting but there was character! Top Gear US has a long way to go I see it getting cancelled within the first year. Sorry to say I was hopeful but had a gut feeling it would be awful and I think it tanked much worse than I ever thought it could. I hope they take it off the air frankly I am embarrassed.

This show is a prime example of what is wrong with American today. None of the hosts articulated a proper dialogue and the conversations seemed as pathetic as the show. The Set was full of copy cat props from the real Top Gear show. If you watch Seasons 1 and 2 of TG UK they sucked too really boring, not exciting but there was character! Top Gear US has a long way to go I see it getting cancelled within the first year. Sorry to say I was hopeful but had a gut feeling it would be awful and I think it tanked much worse than I ever thought it could. I hope they take it off the air frankly I am embarrassed.

:lol:

Hyperbole much?

I didn't like it, Found my self fast forwarding through every segment.

The shows ultimate demise will be the lack of subjective opinions and the advertisers. Other thing that kills it, other than I guess for Foust is they aren't car guys and don't know auto history [this sounds very poncy, what can I say :)

Im already a TG purist and I can't see this show grasping my attention. TGUK already has a hard enough time with that.

Last edited:
This show needed a right wing kind of guy that would call out auto manufacturers and the greenies trying to take away our petrol cars and other stupid government rules & regs. ... Wish Clarkson would take this role but thats a diff thread :)

Last edited:
Anyone notice Matt Farah in the audience? IMO he should take over one of the current presenters spots, at least he knows something about cars...

Anyone notice Matt Farah in the audience? IMO he should take over one of the current presenters spots, at least he knows something about cars...

I was actually thinking about that earlier. Not Matt going to TopGear, but just how good The Smoking Tire is, with an even smaller budget than TGUSA.

i enjoyed the 1st episode. gave it a 7/10. i can see the 2nd episode only being better than the 1st. and soon, Top Gear will have it's own fan base.

Just wait people.

Just wait people.

The studio bit was terribly awkward. Even the "big star small car" deal! Come on, at least be able to get along with the guest gaahh! This show just goes to show how Americans truly aren't capable on handling more than one talent.

This post just personifies the entire community's impatience. And the American joke is just over the top, couldn't you think of something more creative like cheap beer and wife-beaters? The show has just started. Yes it was a bit contrived (since we've all seen the heli skit,) but it was entertaining. I watched it as it aired and found many objections just as plenty here have stated, but I watched it back a second time and most of those faded away. Face it, anyone posting here is a big fan of TG:UK and has preconceptions going in. Everyone is approaching this like a sequel that can never live up to the original. While I would love the same show that we get from the original, it isn't the same thing. If the original show were possible in the US then HBO, Showtime, or Starz would've grabbed it and played it in it's entirety (if the Ricky Gervais podcasts set to cartoon play well here then I would think TG:UK would gain quite a following - much more than 2am showings on BBC America.) Point being, this is a different animal. Hopefully we'll eventually get to the point of having a bit of gravitas about the show, but for now just take it for what it is and you may just enjoy it. After all, TG:UK is off air now and what are you watching that is more entertaining on American television - on Sunday night?

I quite liked it and gave it a respectful 6.. what it lacks is a solid british humor and charisma of presenting.. but I liked both the viper and lamorghini parts..
and how about buzz aldrin? what's with two watches and all the jewelry? do all old people look like that overseas or is it just him? :blink: however, talking about flying to the moon like he's actually done it was hillarious :lol:

Last edited:
I am a huge fan of the original Top Gear, I believe it is the best show on TV anywhere. That said, it's going to be quite difficult for the US version to even come close, given the obstacles that the show has.

First, commercials. Kills flow, people change channels and forget to change back.

Second, budget. I don't know what the budget is for the UK version, but I do know that budgets for cable TV shows tend to be on the small side comparatively.

Third, expectations. I've already said that I think the UK show is fantastic, and the fans of that show will be disappointed by anything else. Jezza and company have perhaps the best chemistry I've seen, the US hosts feel like two variations on Jason Dawe, with Ferrara as a poor man's James May.

That being said, I believe that this is a great TV show, it's probably going to be one of my top five favorite US shows, and I will continue to watch it and recommend it to my friends. The fact that it's not as good as UK top gear is meaningless to me. It's not a replacement, it's a supplement.

Last edited:
and how about buzz aldrin? what's with two watches and all the jewelry? do all old people look like that overseas or is it just him? :blink: however, talking about flying to the moon like he's actually done it was hillarious :lol:

From NASA's website and Buzz Aldrin's bio: "He served as lunar module pilot for Apollo 11, July 16-24, 1969, the first manned lunar landing mission. Aldrin followed Neil Armstrong onto the lunar surface on July 20, 1969, completing a 2-hour and 15 minute lunar EVA." Source: http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/aldrin-b.html

Buzz has been to the moon. I thought he was a cool guest on the snow. None of you people will ever be that far from the surface of the earth let alone walk on another rock. Buzz is a classic American figure.

As for the show, I didn't really like it much. I understand it's the first episode but the Cobra/Viper thing is played out although I'm impressed that our government allowed it to happen.

What I missed was ANY review of ANY SORT. They competed 3 lamborghinis against each other, but who cares? They're all fast, they're all out of 99% of our price range, and they didn't do anything dumb enough with them to really be entertaining. Maybe I'm spoiled by Hammond, May, and Clarkson but come on... lol. Let's see a review of the new Mazda2 and complain about how the gearbox isn't as smooth as a 95 Civic but it'll do the job anyway.

I think it's got great potential, but it seems like they tried to be season 9 of top gear UK before having their own first episode.

Don't try to be the British show. Just do your own thing. It'll be ok!

-Eric

OK, am watching it now. sofar liking it a bit.
tanner and rutledge i can get to like them i think. adam ferrara however irritates me immensly.... i just cant stand the guy. i dont have any reason for this just something about him irks me. (sorry to any fans of him, maybe he'l grow on me :p)
they need to learn to talk and look to the camera when driving a car on the track though. and the american accent throws me off a lot too compared to normal TG. but hey i bet that'l grow on me as well. only real annoyance (besides ferrara) is the commercial breaks. totally breaks the feeling
and judging by the series preview it seems like they're copying TG uk toomuch. i'm fraid it's going to be TGuk but then dumbed down all the way. but hopefully as the show progresses they'l be able to do their own thing, and get the team chemistry going. for now i think it's crap. but hopeful that it'l grow into something good in a few series.

edit2: am reading the thread and yeah the big star small car bit made me cringe xD and the interview did seem forced and rushed.
however, talking about flying to the moon like he's actually done it was hillarious :lol:
i'm confused. what did you mean by this? buzz has obviously gone to the moon. and ferrara didnt try and act like he actually went there?

Last edited:
This show might be fun for those who have never seen the original Top Gear; it's better than other car shows made in the States.. and I tried to give it some leniency because it was the very first episode, but my major gripe is its lack of identity.. yes that is something that is developed over time, but i am really not fond of the copycat segments and the hosts' plagiarism of the real Top Gear presenter's lines.. It seemed as if they had a cram session watching Top Gear episodes trying to pull out funny quips and similes, but after putting their own boring and uncreative spin on it, and completely butchering the delivery, they failed to make even Clarkson's lines entertaining.. "it's as if this car is trying to kill me" or something along those lines doesn't sound nearly as clever coming from some random dude with a jersey accent.. everything they had to say about the cars seemed over-rehearsed and mundane.. having been spoiled by Top Gear, car-talk loses its charm with me when i'm not hearing it in a British accent (and this is coming from a New Yorker), but they could at least try to be original, and penis jokes only work if they're funny..

at least they didn't have a copycat Stig introduction..