Votes: 145 25.4%

Votes: 122 21.4%

Votes: 71 12.5%

Votes: 47 8.2%

Votes: 33 5.8%

Votes: 28 4.9%

Votes: 29 5.1%

• Total voters
Imagine American actors recreating Monty Python. That's what I feel like I've just watched.

Well...was it as good as TG UK no, but it's a start. I was rather bored during the Viper segment, just felt like I've seen it already. The BSSC was horrid and needs to be polished. The Lambo segment was easily the best. I think the hosts will get better. They were too stiff and there was no chemistry, but there wasn't for the first couple of seasons of TG UK. You can't expect them to walk in to the show and blend as good as Jezza, May, and Hammond. I mean what are you really expecting, something as good as the UK version the first day. You could see in the Lambo segment they are starting to blend. Give it time...TG UK had VERY humble beginnings. As for they should have got more help, I don't want this to be a carbon copy of the UK version. That's what the UK version is for.

Also for the US crowd, was it a little odd to hear the show in Amurican.

Have any of them worked together before? I know Jeremy and James were on old Top Gear together, and Richard did some work in radio.

They haven't worked together, as far as I know. And didn't James start on Old Top Gear after Jeremy was fired/left?

Give it a chance

Give it a chance

Given the fact that TG UK is already well-liked by a serious cult in America, TG US already has a big uphill battle. But realistically, it likely won't "happen" for a bit. TG UK was even boring and spartan in the first season with Jason Dawe and then with James May. But 15 seasons on, it's a riot.

Liked:
1. Some of the cinematography was good (except the shaking cams)
2. Featuring some American cars alongside some of the world's greatest supercars.
3. Great test track - proves American do know what corners are

Needs Improvement:

1. Overall chemistry between hosts. They all seem to agree with one another. Jeremy, James, and Richard are more individualistic in their opinions and commentary and I love it when they butt heads with one another. Adam, Tanner, and Rut need to come out of their shells, quit agreeing with each other, and take outrageously preposterous positions- and defend them. But I'll give them a season to define who they really are and to start getting under each other's skin. According to Andy, Jeremy, James, and Richard, that lot really can't stand each other. I'm sure that's a little tongue-in-cheek but they sure do a good acting job for appearing like a bunch of guys who've been on a rained-out camping trip together.

2. Interview of Big Star in Small Car needs improvement. Need more depth, more wit, some more humor. Jeremy's ability to damn near offend the guest but still conduct a decent interview is what we need more of. Talking about Buzz Aldrin's cars, flying a tin can at 25,000 mph in space, and noting his "really big hand" failed to get my attention.

3. Some original, American challenges. I noticed teasers of copied TG UK challenges, like filling a car with water, hand-brake testing a Pontiac Fiero on a hill and running away, etc. But I hope to see something uniquely American, and the mud-bogging in an early 80s Pontiac Bonneville is what I'm talking about. Keep more of that coming!

4. More journalism. The TG US guys are entertaining like morning drive radio hosts, but the journalistic depth just isn't there. TG UK will really break down a car down to its bits and merits, and then tell you why it's good or why it's crap, but with a bit of wit and humor thrown in. Overall, it's helped me personally learn a lot about modern automotive design. We need lots more of that in TG US. Take the risk with the sponsorship - the object is to attract an audience, and if the audience likes what they see, then they'll stick around and sit through the commercials.

Overall, there is a chance to make something great, but it won't happen overnight. I guess the producers know where to look for criticism, so hopefully this thread catches at least a pair or two of their eyes.

So far, so good. Had more energy that some recent TGUK, and looked less scripted than it as well.

so is anyone else bothered that one of the sponsors in mercedes?

Not bothered yet, really. I think that, hopefully, any advertiser would already be familiar with the original Top Gear, and be aware that perhaps the show may have some unfavorable things to say about their cars. I think if the time comes that they review a Mercedes and it comes across unrealistically positive, then I'll be bothered. Until then, it's much ado about nothing.

Jay Leno wanted to do this show but was afraid the sponsors wouldn't allow him to be critical of their cars.

i believe Leno said something about not wanting to mix his hobby with his job

That, and Leno is a fan of TG UK and believed/believes it is something that can't be duplicated or replicated. So he sticks with his Garage videos.

I would say one of the bigger issues for me is that they appear to be filming at American video standard 29.97 fps... and as such, everything has a sort of camcorder look to it. They need to switch to film standard 24 fps. That'll help improve the look quite a bit, make it feel more cinematic.

The films look like they're shot at 24 or 25 fps? The studio bits, on the other hand... I see what you mean. I don't like it, either.

I have a similar issue with TG UK as aired on BBC America. Up the frame rate from 25 fps (standard PAL) to 29.97 (standard NTSC) and it looks absolutely dreadful, IMO. The picture looks muddy and amateur, especially the in-studio stuff and the laps. The films look even more rubbish. On the other hand, if I watch TG UK as-is (left at 25 fps; when I burn eps to DVD, I leave the framerate alone), everything looks much, much better. Everything is clearer; there's good contrast.

Have any of them worked together before? I know Jeremy and James were on old Top Gear together, and Richard did some work in radio.

While Jeremy and James were both on Old TG, they were never on together. In fact, James was, pretty much, Jeremy's successor. (Jeremy left in 1998; James was on during 1999.) Jeremy and Andy Wilman were on together, during the mid-to-late 1990s.

Richard did ten years or so in local radio. Then, at some point pre-Current TG, he had a stint on Granada's Men and Motors. In between the two, he worked in PR, and I think he mentioned in an interview he met one of them (James, I think?) during that time period. Can't remember for sure, though.

I don't think Adam, Tanner, and Rutledge have worked together until now.

Last edited:
In the "Big Star, Small Car" segment, it seemed like some of the host's comments were edited in afterward, especially during the lap itself. It gave the whole segment a horrible artificial feel. One of the best things about the UK show is how natural, relaxed, and genuine they all seem. I can only hope this improves, but as for the first episode, one word that comes to mind is "awkward." TG Australia suffers from this dilemma as well, but not to the extent of this first TG America episode. I'm going to give it until the end of the first season before calling it a failure, but things are not looking good in my opinion. I'm actually very disappointed - I looked so forward to this for so long. Humph...

Edit: One more comment. I think it would have been much better if Adam Corolla were one of the hosts. The show needs his sincerity and relaxed sarcasm to carry it along, just the way the UK show is lifted by those same qualities in Jeremy. That's my opinion, anyway.

Last edited:
There are a lot of closed-minded experts on the Internet! I thought the episode was a good start...and I've been one of the neigh-sayers since the first iteration of TG-USA.

A group of local car enthusiasts got together tonight for the premiere, and I was pleasantly surprised at the laughs that came later half of the show. The last part of the show gives me hope for this crew of presenters. I think Rutledge and Ferrera have a jump start on the chemistry, and Faust is still Faust. It was good to see the two of them picking on him.

The downer for me was the management of the commercials. Really chopped up the show and every segment felt rushed. For TG-USA to survive, this has to be addressed. Either figure out a way to get the show up to 47-52 minutes in the hour time slot or extend it to 90 minutes so we can at least get a full hour of the show. BSIASC has potential, but I saw what many have already commented on, it was rushed. "Hi, this is Buzz, he did this...he's owned this...oh look here's his lap. Thanks for coming and please watch this Mercedes commercial.

Overall, I was very pleased. Thank you, and you have my attention!

-Chris

Last edited:
Kinda reminds me of a first date with all the awkwardness. Tanner and Rutledge have a good chemistry starting to develop. Im not so sure about Ferrera.

All I have to say is they should hire better writers. The three have the chemistry, they just need good writers and producers that can put them all together.

To rate the first show, it was horribly put together with no substance. The BSSC segment was rushed don't you think? Adam asked like one question about Buzz's life as an astronaut and boom, that was it. I don't really care what cars he drove, I want to know more about his story. The writing is too dry with no wittiness. 6/10. It could be better.

Last edited:
I liked it. Rutledge was great, as was Tanner. Adam however was a bit distant and his interview was sad. The three were struggling for dialog in some areas. Swap Adam Ferrara with Adam Carolla and these short comings would be addressed.

I can't help but wonder if the initial Viper review was directed toward Viper007Bond, I just find it quite interesting that the US version should choose to use that car first. I enjoyed that segment, and I love how they compared it to a girl you would not take home to your mother knowing that she would not approve. That was great, and a real down to earth moment that you could get with a segment about an attack helicopter casing a super car.

The test track, seems kinda forced. It does not have the simplicity of the UK version, and seems to be very bumpy. I wonder how some super cars are going to handle that track as it should provide a more real work level of bumpiness to the track times. They introduced The Stig a lot better then had been reported, some saying that his intro was haphazard and other saying that it seems the presenters did not really know what The Stings role was.

The star in a reasonably priced car segment was a farce. Adam does not seem to be up to the task of interviewing celebrities. It's not his fault. Clarkson had a talk show, so he knew what he was getting into and had experience. Adam, seems to have no idea how to direct this segment, and most of it was cut out. I can't fault Adam at all for it.

The raging bull segment was good, but short. Adam makes up for his last segment and provides a much more insight into what goes on from someone who has never gone 180mph before. I also found it quite funny that he said fuck each time he up shifted and the acceleration threw his head back, still for the first 5 gears. I also liked the chemistry between all of the lads, and it seems they have quite a good mix. Rutledge Wood is really quite funny and the back and forth between him and Tanner Foust is great, they seem to have a better on camera chemistry then with Adam but that could change with time as Adam was a late addition and might now know the other two well enough yet. This segment was VERY sort, only providing one challenge a standing 1 mile leaving me not only expecting more, but wanting more but not in a good way. I feel they ending the show in what should of been it's greatest moment prematurely.

It has the makings of becoming a very good show. I could not agree more that cutting the first film for a commercial break kinda jolted me as I'm used to watching the UK version. So that is going to take some getting used to, or they should simply make sure that no film will require such a break in between. This may become a deal breaking depending on how they handle it. I see great things coming from this show in the future if it's allowed to sprout it's own legs and gain it's own ground.

[edit]
1. Some of the cinematography was good (except the shaking cams)

Shaky cam was annoying to me too. They should of re-shot that part, airing that footage was total rubbish.

Last edited:
I understand there is a lot to be fixed, but all I have to say is this, what other current American car show was better than what you saw tonight?

There's a lot of crap out there on SPEED, VS, and Spike, anything we get with TG UK style filming is a bonus.

I say THANKS History Channel for picking up a show that seemed to carry the black plague, and many thought would never happen.

Who cares if it was mediocre and scripted in its first episode. Give it time......the very same thing that was given to Jezza, James and Hamster. 'Cause lets be honest the first two seasons of TG UK with these three wasn't anything to write about and now look at it.

I enjoyed it, for a first episode I thought it was great!

It had it's shortcomings and there are certainly some kinks that need to be straightened out, but overall it was good.

Seemed like a first episode of an experimental show (which it is)... low chemistry, really rough around the edges. I gave it a 6 and, more importantly, will continue to watch it.

Is there a post-production technique that UKTG uses that makes it look like it was shot with film instead of video? Even before they started using HD, the UK version looks like they're using better gear to shoot with. USTG just looks "cheap".