Votes: 145 25.4%

Votes: 122 21.4%

Votes: 71 12.5%

Votes: 47 8.2%

Votes: 33 5.8%

Votes: 28 4.9%

Votes: 29 5.1%

• Total voters
Are you kidding me about the Cobra? It was just a note that these people were probably not being taken seriously enough by the Military or something. I dont know that you wanted to see Vietnam Era designs instead of the later, and still in service Apache doing those crazy things. Plus, Comparing an Aircraft carrier to a helicopter?

yo stupid, before you start ripping me maybe you should look at the F*&^ing post again. i was responding to you talking about the Cobra segment. read it. besides, what the hell does the Cobra have to do with the respect from the military. like someone else pointed out, this an active "bird" used by the marines. know what your talking about before you talk smack on here. as far as the carrier, i was making a point, if you didnt get the point then im sorry.

SIARPC (Big Star, Small Car) - Armstrong seems like a good choice to break new ground, but overall it was sparse and uncouth, albeit better than the Viper section. 5/10

It was Buzz Aldrin, not Neil Armstrong.

I gave it a 5. It was okay. I do see the potential. The presenters are pretty stiff, but I think that's expected and will get better with time. I liked Adam the best - he seems the most laid back of the three of them. However, if he interviews future guests the way Buzz Aldrin was this time, I don't think that such a good thing. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, though - perhaps it was edited that way. Also, there was no chemistry with the audience at ALL, but I've seen from a few people there were technical issues with the sound that may have been the culprit. I don't dislike Tanner and Rutledge. I haven't decided how I feel about them yet.

I realize the show is aimed largely at people who've never seen the UK version, but I cringed anyway at seeing ideas they lifted. Also, I kinda wish they wouldn't use so much of Jeremy's patented hyperbolic presenting style. That's HIS, and it only really works when he's doing it. It falls flat when someone else does it, IMHO. I'm hoping with time they'll be able to eke out their own presenting style. Gotta start somewhere, I think.

I really started to like the Lambo segment by the end. I saw glimmers of something truly good when they were teasing each other at the very end. If you could bottle the last five minutes of tonight's show and make the WHOLE SHOW like that? Now we're talking.

My verdict: It's going to take time to iron out all the technical kinks and get the three of them working together. I hope they get the chance, because it'd be really cool for this show become something great on its own. :)

It was the first episode... so yes, it was a little stiff, and a little dull. I'll give them time to try and work those issues out. We'll see how they do.

I would say one of the bigger issues for me is that they appear to be filming at American video standard 29.97 fps... and as such, everything has a sort of camcorder look to it. They need to switch to film standard 24 fps. That'll help improve the look quite a bit, make it feel more cinematic.

Definitely fix the mounting of the cameras in the car... the shaky-cam was really distracting.

Also, lose the map on the track segments. That was almost as distracting, and completely unnecessary.

Finally, get the audience a warm-up guy. They had zip for energy.

So far, I feel two things: one, that I'm cheating on the original show, and two, that TG USA should come up with their own ideas.

Oh, I COMPLETELY agree on both counts! And on the note of coming up with their own ideas.. "It's like being arounsed at gunpoint" that, I am positive, has been used by Jerome before..

well the crew is awful..

have you guys ever seen Super Cars Exposed with Tanner Faust? its the most boring inacurate and lame car show

and the history channel doesn't help, they have the most inacurate and boring documentals..

it should be produced by the discovery channel, and hosted by guys like Adam Corolla, and other open minded guys, not because its TG America, American Cars should be the stars... the comparisons should be REAL

Wow. Just Wow. I am shocked at how high the scores are. Tanner is a dullard. He Is shockingly bad as a host. Did no one see Supercar Showdown? Bad. Rutledge is ok, kind of a goof. He is having some fun. Ferrara looks bored.

Out of the gate they rip off Season 4? The helicopter/car has been done. Nothing original, which surprises me.
The chemistry is bad.

One last thing, Benz is a sponser? So much for objectivity. They should shoot the show, and find a non-automotive sponsor.

On season 1, ep 1 Jeremy starts with about what the show isn't. Sadly, the intro that they could come up with is almost an copy of what Jeremy says.
They could have done better. Better hosts, less camera vibration, better editing.

i gave it a 2 out of 10.

It was Buzz Aldrin, not Neil Armstrong.

My apologies. But that also goes to show, along with my poor memory, the fact that the interview was nearly non-existent. It doesn't really bother me that much, as SIARPC is my least favorite section of TG:UK.

Also, the people that are saying this first episode was horrible and they won't be watching more: its a little irritating when every place I've seen that has given hints and overviews of the whole series (Jalopnik, some people that were at the live filmings, newspaper reviews) as the first show or 2 being low points, while the rest of the series actually hits a stride and goes well. I think the worst decision to make is to stop watching due to the first episode's impressions.

I would say one of the bigger issues for me is that they appear to be filming at American video standard 29.97 fps... and as such, everything has a sort of camcorder look to it. They need to switch to film standard 24 fps. That'll help improve the look quite a bit, make it feel more cinematic.

Definitely fix the mounting of the cameras in the car... the shaky-cam was really distracting.

Also, lose the map on the track segments. That was almost as distracting, and completely unnecessary.
I totally agree about the fps issue. I think, if they want to be anything like TG UK, they need to keep the super glossy look. Maybe it's a different "creative decision", but I don't like it one bit!

That map was the size of Texas and I hated it just as much as you. Show us a map at the beginning, tell us about it, then SHOW us the lap.

Well, it's a start.

And I don't know much about the hosts themselves, but..

Have any of them worked together before? I know Jeremy and James were on old Top Gear together, and Richard did some work in radio.

But, this is only the first episode, so....it should get better. :)

I enjoyed it. I had low expectations. Some polish is definitely in order. I think once the kinks are worked out, it will be just fine.

yo stupid, before you start ripping me maybe you should look at the F*&^ing post again. i was responding to you talking about the Cobra segment. read it. besides, what the hell does the Cobra have to do with the respect from the military. like someone else pointed out, this an active "bird" used by the marines. know what your talking about before you talk smack on here. as far as the carrier, i was making a point, if you didnt get the point then im sorry.

I honestly dont think i talked smack. But I've enjoyed this nice conversation with a Mustang Owner, a man impervious to edits and any other points on response. Dont bother responding with another insult, you are ignored.

My apologies. But that also goes to show, along with my poor memory, the fact that the interview was nearly non-existent. It doesn't really bother me that much, as SIARPC is my least favorite section of TG:UK.

Also, the people that are saying this first episode was horrible and they won't be watching more: its a little irritating when every place I've seen that has given hints and overviews of the whole series (Jalopnik, some people that were at the live filmings, newspaper reviews) as the first show or 2 being low points, while the rest of the series actually hits a stride and goes well. I think the worst decision to make is to stop watching due to the first episode's impressions.

No worries. I agree the whole interview segment needs a lot of work.

And I agree with your 2nd paragraph as well. I was kind of dissapointed with this episode, but I also just read on another site that crtics said it's supposed to improve in the 2nd and 3rd episodes as well, so I'm willing to be patient before I pass a final judgment.

I gave it a 5/10.

To be honest, I've not enjoyed the proper BBC version of Top Gear of recent (averaging 6/10), and I can see the producers/writers at work. You can see it has an Americanized spin to it, and it feels that if given a proper shot, it could develop into something quite well. Tanner is obviously the best driver of the bunch, but all 3 of them are pretty flat in hosting. The voice-over work was awful, though this is intended as a "pilot" and I'm going to wait and see the entire season run before I shit on it too bad.

Frankly better then I had expected, and anyone who claims otherwise is just masturbating to Top Gear proper too much.

The episode was alright. Nothing spectacular about it. They have a lot to fix up. But most of the stuff is easy. The main thing i think the hosts need are attitude. BBC top gear each host has their own attitude and together they make the show perfect. Here they do not. I hope that changes. They did not kill the classic stories of BBC top gear. I dont mind them using them...i just wish they had their own twist to it...or come up with their own stories...also do better with announcing the Stig. Also the celebrity time trial has to be called a better name...this is just a few things i find problems with...also i agree with couple other people that the comercials were off...they should have done it between the scenes and not in between.

Looking forward to viewing this when I get home. (I'm all the way across the Pacific).

Kind of unfair to judge the show against the far better and far more polished original. Like someone said earlier, the first season of the original Top Gear was terrible and this episode was a lot better than that episode. That being said, the chemistry does feel a bit forced at times and there isn't as much individual presence from the hosts, could be the fact that we "know" May, Hammond and Clarkson better than these guys. Overall, I look forward to it. This episode was better than some episodes of Fifth Gear and these guys are more enjoyable to watch than VBH. More importantly, I hope they carve out their own style so we're not just getting rehashed segments from the original Top Gear.

Last edited:
Great for a first show. Slick camerawork. The guys looked like they were having fun.

I think tanner foust could boast his driving experience more and lay a bit more exposition on us.