Votes: 145 25.4%

Votes: 122 21.4%

Votes: 71 12.5%

Votes: 47 8.2%

Votes: 33 5.8%

Votes: 28 4.9%

Votes: 29 5.1%

• Total voters
If it's true Mercede's is sponsoring them, than I'm done with this show. How do you expect to critique a car if you are being sponsored by them? I turned it off in 15 grueling minutes. Camera work was a joke. It's shot like a history channel tv show, (corny, and cartoon like.) some shots were over exposed and the in car camera stuff is unacceptable in professional terms. Not to mention the chemistry was not there, and tanner sounded really flat. And the nascar guy is really annoying. I'd rather crush my fingers in a vice than listen to him talk nonsense.

I did take note it's the very first episode. Maybe it will get better. But, nothing beats the amazing quality of the UK show. Why didn't Andy Wilman produce this? Does anybody know who the cinematrapher is for the UK show? They should hire him for the US.

It appears you turned it off after 15 minutes even without any Mercedes-sponsoring-issue. I recommend simply not watching the show if it was torture to you.

I am entitled to my opinion even if you do not agree with what I say. It needs work. Not nearly as polished as the UK version. I do video production in real life. So, these little quirks and imperfections you kind of catch. Still, the in car camera work is unacceptable. I'm still stand by that one. Some of the shots in the viper segment were shot at different times. Possibly different days? It went from cloudy to sunny, and back.

I don't expect this pilot episode be nearly as good as something maybe at the end of the season or say a season two when the look, and camera work will hopefully figured out and better.

P.S. I did sit through it. The whole thing. DVR is a nice thing. I went for the second look. the mercedes thing was when the show went to commercial break. That's my call for true credibility for the reviewing polices in the US show.

Last edited:
I am entitled to my opinion even if you do not agree with what I say.

I didn't prohibit you from blabbing your opinion all over the internet, did I? All I did was give you a recommendation for next Sunday based on your opinion.

The show was definitely better than the Aussie version, which is still unbearable after a few seasons. I won't be surprised if it lasts for a few years, but it'll always be a thousand times worse than the UK version. I think we're living in a very special time and are spoiled with the current UK Top Gear. It's the greatest show on TV and is impossible for any other spin-off to live up to. Compared to UK TG, I'd give the US version a 1 out of 10 but if I don't take the UK version into any consideration, I'd give it about a 6. I still really don't care for Tanner Foust. He's much like Jason Plato. He can drive the wheels off the car but he's kind of a cocky little prick. I guess I'm still annoyed with him after he did a special on the Porsche driving school and he trashed the Boxster. I thought he gave a very short-sighted review, but I am used to Brits reviewing it who are much more accepting of roadsters than Americans are.

I like Ferrara but the other guy just seems like an oaf. Like I said, much better than the Aussie version, but pretty terrible in its own right. We'll see how it pans out.

and how about buzz aldrin? what's with two watches and all the jewelry? do all old people look like that overseas or is it just him? :blink: however, talking about flying to the moon like he's actually done it was hillarious :lol:

Buh...wha???

and how about buzz aldrin? what's with two watches and all the jewelry? do all old people look like that overseas or is it just him? :blink: however, talking about flying to the moon like he's actually done it was hillarious :lol:

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Not to mention the chemistry was not there,

As I've said before, even James, Jeremy, and Richard had to have time to gel. Why not extend the same grace to Adam, Tanner, and Rutledge?

Why didn't Andy Wilman produce this? Does anybody know who the cinematrapher is for the UK show? They should hire him for the US.

The UK show has multiple cameramen. I imagine this one does, too.

I'm not sure if Wilman was there to give any advice or not. I know Richard Porter (script editor) was on hand.

The show was definitely better than the Aussie version, which is still unbearable after a few seasons.
Have to agree there even though I live 'there' ... which is 'here' to me. I usually record our local excuse for TG, but on playback I flick by each segment so quick it's usually over before I've finished my coffee. As a big TGUK fan I wasn't expecting too much from this spin-off, but I was mildly entertained, though not informed. I didn't mind the presenters and hope they gel more as time passes.

For me the commercials had been deleted, but the American commercial TV network trait of telling me what's coming up after the break and then, after it, reminding me what I might have missed, or again, about to see, next gets more annoying every time it happens. Why pander to those who just flicked onto a TV show mid ad break or those who, without this sort of encouragement, aren't interested enough to stick around? Better not to annoy those still watching, and who don't need reminders of what they've just seen, or worse, spoilers of what's to come. It's the main reason I now avoid most American docu's on cable TV - they treat every viewer as a moron with at best a 10 second attention span.

As I've said before, even James, Jeremy, and Richard had to have time to gel. Why not extend the same grace to Adam, Tanner, and Rutledge?

Also, the first few episodes had no joint films. The only interaction was in the (nearly empty) studio. The cocking about chemistry came later.

...they screwed up the Stig, they managed to make Buzz Aldrin look boring, they don't have the right chemistry, and they're reading from teleprompters.

I'm not holding up much hope for this spinoff. I have a feeling it will go the way of that romanian TG spinoff. I'll give them the rest of this season before I swear them off entirely, though. TGUK took some time to get flowing, who knows. History might react properly to all the criticism and the show may improve.

Last edited:
Not bad for the first show :).

Looks like I'm slightly outnumbered in my preference of the hosts, but Tanner Foust is the one who held it together for me. I'll look forward to his power tests and I think he will be the most polished reviewer of the three (He should be, really.) No issue with Rutledge, he will provide a little balance if he's funny or not.

Adam Ferrara was a little bland in my opinion. I'll give him a chance, but I'm just not sure what he has to offer the show? :|. Perhaps he can make the studio portions of the show his niche.

7/10 for me though. I thought it was probably better than any ep. of TGAU unfortunately. I can see myself watching this series.

It would be nice if they can avoid doing a 'challenge' every week... That kinda ruined TGAU for me anyway.

The only thing I actually enjoyed was The Stig video screen that kept moving. That was a nice idea. For camera work, and music it seemed very low budget. The hosts are boring, they could have brought in some talent that would have been really good. I have serious doubts that these guys can make this version funny, without trying to copy TGUK.

The cast should go;
1. Adam Carolla, He is funny, and can hold his own. he even hosts a radio so he can interview people.
2. Xzibit- Yes the "yo dog" lines can get old, but his off the hip remarks, and facial expressions can put you on the floor. He carried Pimp My Ride.
3. Tanner Foust- I would give this guy some room to grow. If he doesn't we can get a new guy.

" - You, essentially have a 200,000$ drift car.... - I know..... is that awesome or what?"

fuckin' priceless
Tanner rocks, he really knows how to handle a car.

If the whole cast is reading off teleprompters, they have to go. The magic of the show comes from the spontaneous interaction between the three hosts. As for Tanner - he's got to go. He's good at drifting cars, making them go fast, but not for describing a car that is actually interesting. He can read off some details as if he reads a grocery list, but he can't make that grocery list interesting. Like the Viper, it has enough horsepower to bring the dinosaurs back to life. What does it really say, "this car has a lot of horsepower". Not 623 bhp or whatever the number may be. As for the other one, the git, Adam, I'm not a big fan of his humor personally, but it is what it is. He needs to come out of his shell much better. The hairy one - he's not bad. He reminds me of James May in a way - slow. Not bright either. Overall, the show needs a lot more improvement. Especially the cameramen and the editing department. 6, at best. They have a great brand, and if they continue in this way - they're going to tarnish it further.

Voted a 1

Sucked badly, much worse than the "real" pilot episode shot with Adam Carolla...even if Tanner was in that one too. Sad, sad, sad. I didn't even get through the viper film and I can't watch anymore.