[01x01] September 29th, 2008

[01x01] September 29th, 2008

• Total voters
What is wrong with the early TGUK episodes??? I see all these people panning them, but I thoroughly enjoy them!

If this needed to be relevant to the Australian car market, then it shouldn't have been produced under then Top Gear banner. Top Gear was never about cars that we'll own in a year or two...

And it's their first episode - as Viper said look back at series 1 of TG and you'll see how far that show came. Give it some time - don't be hasty to write it off - you could try and be positive about it...
Just one correction - it's only the HSV running an American motor.

ta. im here to learn...the 5.4L in the ford is not american? still the point is there, and it drives me up the wall.

...GTR eclipsed all on the test track, wonder how many of those are in the country...

After watching the show I harked back to the first episode of Top Gear (UK) and to be brutally honest I thought the show wasn't that bad at all. In fact, I enjoyed it well. I like the hosts, the quality of the cinematography and the variety of segments.

It might need some polishing and the ads might be REALLY annoying, but I'm willing to give this a chance! :)

fbc said:
To everyone being so utterly negative - it's the first show for god's sake, it's going to take time to get the chemistry & production just right. Give it a chance and be happy we've got what's still a good show.

Again, QFT.

And I'm really looking forward to episode 2. It didn't take long for them to do Holden vs Ford, did it? :D

I do agree with some of the negativity about the test track. The angles were awful and I have no idea how the track goes or anything.

In the defense of Charlie Cox - he's probably copping the most flack because he's meant to fill Jeremy Clarkson's spot, and that's what you're all comparing him to. Of course he isn't Clarkson - he's Cox. He did a solid job for the first show and things can only improve.

There also needs to be less segments, and the segments need to be longer.

I enjoyed it apart from CC been a bit of a loudmouth, kudos for the RAV jump though.

Steve and Warren were good, hopefully see Gruffnuts Pizzati in the GTR!

i'm mixed in opinions about the ep

the offroad idea was great but they didnt wrap it up
the porsche was well done but yes that dude gives me the sh*ts
the whole maybach piece was utter tripe. a 2-3 min intro and all the guy does is shows it has headphones in the back.
the whole shark bait idea was pretty good imo
the track(same as everyone else) how is it layed out. at least show us an overhead or something so we can get an idea

i'll give it a 6. better than season 1 of tguk imo

dont forget star in a reasonably priced car isnt the name of the segment. (cant remember the actual name)

and let the discussion on who aussie stig is :)

ta. im here to learn...the 5.4L in the ford is not american? still the point is there, and it drives me up the wall

The V8 in the Ford is - but TGAu are testing the F6, not the GT / GT-P

What is wrong with the early TGUK episodes??? I see all these people panning them, but I thoroughly enjoy them!

There's nothing wrong with them - they're just nowhere near as polished as TG is now - hence the comparison to this episode.

GIVE EM' A CHANCE

GIVE EM' A CHANCE

hey just to say guys, It may have not been as good as any current Top Gear or 5th gear episode. But hey, they had a hell of a lot to live up to, and depsite some of the tests... as the maybach, was pointless. Compared to the first top gear episode it was much better.
We shall see the show starting to shine next week(i hope); What the true aussie car battle area is all about, but hope it isnt always going to be like that.
also, the audience was crap, some of the guys looked stoned.
J_288

LOL @ 195 Active users viewing this thread.... :lmao:

wherethisthreadgoing.jpg

Yehh the RAV jump was awesome...

I didn't have a problem with Cox, as it seems most people here do. I just found him utterly boring.

What? That was the best part ;)

That's why I listed it as a positive. The Moke segment was really good actually. Main criticism was that I would have liked more of a conclusion to the soft roader segment, just seemed to end abruptly. They didn't even pick a favourite.

i beleive soon when we get to know the hosts, we will get their jokes a bit better. need to let em ease in. one of the biggest shows for aus like underbelly. I totally agree with FBC
J_288

I thought it wasn't as bad as some here are saying...

Charlie did seem a little forced, but this being a new show etc may have something to do with it. My main irritant with him was the raspy voice, sounded like he needed cough drops or something.

Steve was ok.

And as most here siad Warren was the most natural.

+1 for the complaints about the track, too involved and no layout given... left me sort of lost on where the car was (and too slow, more on that later). Would have liked fast bends and more flowing. As for a lot of cars, well that was obviously done for bulking up the lap-time board.

Liked What Were They Thinking, and would have liked the news segment to have been longer. Just cause SBS chops it to insert ads on the UK version isn't a reason to leave ours short! Would have prefered a longer News to the SIABSC.

Porsche test... Apart from the review itself and editing (with was nothing special but not that bad) my major grip was the speed it looked on the road, I know if it was fast, whingers would have gripped, but they made it look like it was travelling at 40, even the Soft-Roader suffered from the lack of road pace on the bitumen parts... Dammit speed it up :mad:

Like the UK 1st season, nothing too flash. But not as bad as it could have been. (I try not to compare it with TGUK rather than itself as a stand-alone)
7/10

Ah, I knew I forgot something in my previous post.

The news. Nowhere near as good as the UK version. That needs improving, and probably more scripting.

http://img81.imageshack.**/img81/204/tgacwm0.jpg

Okay keypoints
- Commercials kill the show and break up the unique format that makes top gear interesting. To the point where each segments are beening butchered to fit in with ad breaks
- Next week is ford vs holden. You don't need to test Ford Vs Holden on Top Gear, Thats why we have V8 Supercars!
- Faux chemistry between host. They put on fake laughs or the editing people are not showing the funny/human side of the hosts
- Now for the news for 1-2 mins. "Tax Tax. I'm trying to sound ignorate" and Victorian Polices Hummer and Off to an Ad break peoples!

Last edited:
I agree with everyone else in saying show us the layout of the track.

I quite enjoyed the sand/snow challenge stuff. I laughed at Cox flying over the dune and nearly screwing the car and Brown being useless in the snow. The studio stuff was just annoying. They clearly tried to ram too much stuff in to the one episode. They should've taken more time to introduce stuff like the "What were they thinking?" wall. Waaaay too much talking. It was like they were in fast forward.

My 2c :)

I'll still watch next week.

Yeah funny how it only took them 2 weeks to give in to the biggest overblown bogan cliche in motoring. Sad really.

you mean the most important battle in australian motoring, with the 2 real australian performance cars?

grow up