[01x01] September 29th, 2008

[01x01] September 29th, 2008

• Total voters
7/10 - on it's own merits.

Yes, it was 'only' pretty good when compared to the best Top Gear UK material, but for a first episode that everyone was holding their collective breath about, I thought they pulled it off. Freehand did a fantastic job maintaining visual continuity with TG UK. And an even better job with the music - considering it sounded like they've been handcuffed by licensing problems (the likes of which the BBC doesn't have) and had to use generic material, I thought it was ok.

Yes, there are teething problems... to name a few: the Maybach segment was way, way too short. It was a bit too ocker in places. The scripted bits weren't as fluid as they could be - these guys aren't actors (yet?). Cox was a bit overbearing, viz. Clarkson in 11x01. We didn't get a decent look at the track, which is really narrow! I'm hopeful these will be ironed out over the course of Season 1.

Yes, the Moke stunt was a bit stupid. But I reckon it was to ensure a wide mixture of content as a way to grab the most casual of viewer who couldn't care less about BHP figures on a Lambo that noone can afford. I bet little kids loved that part. And Port Lincoln has never looked so interesting.

More power too them.

Well, here I leap into the breach: I think it's a strong first effort. I've been fascinated watching the second series on SBS, since my most recent exposure to Top Gear UK was series 8-10 on BBCAmerica in the US (I moved to Australia in June), and it's striking just how much the three UK hosts, and the show itself, has evolved over the years.

The same is, and will be, true for TGAustralia. Sure, the pacing was a bit strange. Sure, the segments felt a little odd. Sure, the chemistry is different. They're different people. And none of the three have much television presentation experience prior to this show.

I had a good time, and it was clear that all three of them had a good time. Will it take a little practice to get into stride? Of course. Anything worth doing, and doing well, requires practice and work. I'm quite willing to watch the whole series and see the differences between the first and last eps.

The only things I was really disappointed with were the track and the news. But again, those things take time. You can prep as much as you possibly can, but some things only sort themselves out in the doing. The track felt dull and uninteresting, but that's likely because they're still sorting out the best camera angles. No big deal. The news felt a bit...forced, but that's simply people getting comfortable in front of cameras and a studio audience and with each other. Again, no big deal--this sorts itself out in the doing.

However, there was one moment when I cringed. When they get snow tires installed on the soft-roaders, there's a shot from under one of the cars, with a too-pat-to-be-accidental shot of a tire with Michelin clearly visible. I understand SBS is a commercial station; I understand advertising revenue is necessary to produce and air programs on SBS. But I do reserve the right to cringe at what seemed very much like product placement. I sincerely hope the show is free to pan products that suck, whether they're sponsors or not.

I shall now hide in my bunker. Cheers.

Its pretty similar to everyone bashing Qantas/Jetstar, or their own respective national airline, saying zomgz its the worst airline in the world. Its not. But its pretty bad:D

I remember my driving instructor who was from Belgium, he said everyone hated Sabena, their own airline. "Such a Bloody Experience, Never Again":p

I think you missed my point. Someone mentioned about what people from around the world are going to think of the show. I don't think we should be biased in favour of the show. I was saying that they should make the show specifically for Australian audiences just as the uk version makes it for the uk.

Can anyone actually remember any useful feedback on any of the cars mentioned?

Warren needs to present the SIRPC bit, he'd just be 100 times better, Cox isn't Clarkson, no need to fit the Aussie presenters into the same 'roles' as the UKTG. It's got potential, nervous beginning, but it's still early days.

I thought that for a first episode when so much bedding in and introductions to the characters has to be done it was really very good. I have seen TG UK episodes with much less riveting segments than the ones the critics in this thread are pooh-poohing. Give it a couple more episodes so that we can learn about the guys' characters more. I'd agree that the test track needs to be "owned" by the viewer, a bit of briefing needed there. My missus who is a complete non-car nut enjoyed it so it does hold TG-UK like appeal for the general non car-fan public. The "Larrikin Aussie car lover" feel came through pretty well. I'll certainly keep watching

Regarding the Maybach,IMO that was all about introducing the what were they thinking part which is why it was short.

Or even an opinion on any of the cars.

Excluding the "ZOMG Porsche is teh awesomer!!"
(To expand on that a bit)

Which actually goes back to my earlier point of what is it meant to be?
An informative show ala 5th gear?
An entertain show ala UKTG?

Its just nothing ever really happened.
They just drove around in some cars.....
You're waiting for tech info, or opinons, or humor, but it just never came.

First Gear

First Gear

Kangaroo start I reckon. And a bit boring. I thought they would launch with a more fun challenge than three new bland silver soft roaders.

I dislike Charlie. Steve was okay but really nervous. My 6 y/o said "Why is he talking so fast?"

But Warren Brown was a standout. Hurrah Warren!

Technically - the editing during reasonably price car was atrocious. All over the bloody place and we got no idea where the track went. Same with the Stig. Maybe they don't have tenure on the track and don't want ius to get too familiar.

And they need to hire a steadycam camera for the walking around shots in the studio. I was getting nauseous.

And why the hell did the Porsche look so slow? Odd.

However, if you look at how lame some of the first British TG eps were, it wasn't a bad start. They just need to relax. And get new editors. And an extra cameraman on location.

Warren Brown wins the day.

:)

(To expand on that a bit)

Which actually goes back to my earlier point of what is it meant to be?
An informative show ala 5th gear?
An entertain show ala UKTG?

Its just nothing ever really happened.
They just drove around in some cars.....
You're waiting for tech info, or opinons, or humor, but it just never came.
i liked how they mentioned how the porsche used less fuel than a camry, that really got the point across. But some performance figures, or actually driving opinions would be nice.

They showed how the 4WD operated on the soft offroaders pretty well too. The sliding backwards was very funny.

I guess it had some positives, but it could really use with some conclusions or actual opinions of how they felt the cars were.

I guess it had some positives, but it could really use with some conclusions or actual opinions of how they felt the cars were.

The conclusion was that soft roaders are shit. I thought that was pretty obvious.