[01x01] September 29th, 2008

[01x01] September 29th, 2008

• Total voters
It was alright. The first thing I thought of when the Star In a Bog-Standard Car :)lol:) came on was, "great, I already have a hard time keeping track of British celebrities. Who the hell in Australia is famous? Russell Crowe?"

Some bits could have been produced better. Warren's Maybach bit could have been far more interesting (headphones, really? Like rich people are prone to forgetting their Sennheisers all the time?) but was cut down. The same for the first challenge, and the Porsche review, and the test track...Charlie (the guy who looks like Bill Maher) has a pretty cool voice (reminded me of Crocodile Dundee, but seeing as I have no basis on Australian culture pretty much everybody sounds like that ;)) but is trying way too hard. I felt bad for Warren, Steve (the guy who looks like the guitarist from some British indie rock band) was trying way too hard to pick on him during the news.

Still, I'm looking forward to it. More Top Gear is NEVER a bad thing. Plus, Australia has the benefit of epic landscapes and deadly, man-killing beasts, which already puts it 2 points ahead of Ol' Blighty. :D

Also, from some certain angles Warren looks like Hitler.

Last edited:
For a first ever airing, I think it did quite well. I think Charlie Cox needs a bit of practice in presenting, but I really liked the other two blokes they were really funny. I give it a 7 on its own merits. :) Good job guys! keep it up. There is always room for improvement.

I watched the first episode, and I really wanted to like it. I figured it'd give me a bit of a fix while the real TG is on a hiatus, and well...well I can't say a damn thing that hasn't been said already, plus I'd probably get banned anyway. Bottom line is I won't be watching TG Australia anymore.

TG America likely won't be any better.

http://img139.imageshack.**/img139/6662/fail4cu9.jpg

I watched the first episode, and I really wanted to like it. I figured it'd give me a bit of a fix while the real TG is on a hiatus, and well...well I can't say a damn thing that hasn't been said already, plus I'd probably get banned anyway. Bottom line is I won't be watching TG Australia anymore.

TG America likely won't be any better.

At least watch eps 2 & 3 - they're big improvements over the first episode.

I think it went pretty well for the first go. The hosts were enjoyable enough to watch and look like they'll develop good camaraderie, although some of their humour seemed a bit forced, which I guess if you're under pressure might happen. Charlie Cox needed to calm down a bit. Beautifully shot, although I would have liked to see an introduction to the track and its layout before the first lap as it was hard to tell what exactly was happening - like others I didn't realise at first that the track was a loop. The footage of the sharks was pretty scary.

Last edited:
At least watch eps 2 & 3 - they're big improvements over the first episode.
I knew someone would respond with this but I held off on explaining why that'd make no difference, for the sake of keeping my post short and to the point.

The things I don't like (from the presenters' lame jokes and their fake personalities, all the way to how everything is contrived from some cookie-cutter "Top Gear template" etc etc etc) are totally independent of any particular episodes or seasons.

Sorry, but eating more cauliflower isn't going to make me like it.

Last edited:
The things I don't like (from the presenters' lame jokes and their fake personalities, all the way to how everything is contrived from some cookie-cutter "Top Gear template" etc etc etc) are totally independent of any particular episodes or seasons.

Sorry, but eating more cauliflower isn't going to make me like it.

All that stuff you don't like will, and is, improving as the show progresses. Of course at first it's very "cookie-cutter", and the presenters seem forced & contrived - they're all still very very new to this. As they do it more, they'll get better at it & be more relaxed, they'll start to get to know each other better & the comradriere will develop, as will the quality & delivery of the scripts.

Its unbelievable how bad the presenters are. Whoever chose them should be fired. In the thousands of submissions, there was no one better? Their selection process clearly needs work. My god, please don't bring them back for a second season. I cant even look at the cartoon guy, hes such a dork. When he does the what were they thinking announcement I just want to reach in my TV and punch him. Maybe Charlie is the only one with any hope, but the other two, my god, please find someone else. Charlie needs to relax and stop sounding so robotic. Quit the stupid jokes. Ugh, where does one start. so much is wrong.

They sound scripted, boring, and the jokes are awful. The show is painful to watch - I find myself fast forwarding through most of it. How is doing donuts on an airfield reviewing a car? They give you no idea about what the car is like beyond.. "its great" and "awesome". Ya we know its awesome moron, look at it. Now tell us what its like to drive.

Its unfathomable how UK Topgear could let this happen.

Its unbelievable how bad the presenters are. Whoever chose them should be fired. In the thousands of submissions, there was no one better? Their selection process clearly needs work. My god, please don't bring them back for a second season. I cant even look at the cartoon guy, hes such a dork. When he does the what were they thinking announcement I just want to reach in my TV and punch him. Maybe Charlie is the only one with any hope, but the other two, my god, please find someone else. Charlie needs to relax and stop sounding so robotic. Quit the stupid jokes. Ugh, where does one start. so much is wrong.

They sound scripted, boring, and the jokes are awful. The show is painful to watch - I find myself fast forwarding through most of it. How is doing donuts on an airfield reviewing a car? They give you no idea about what the car is like beyond.. "its great" and "awesome". Ya we know its awesome moron, look at it. Now tell us what its like to drive.

Its unfathomable how UK Topgear could let this happen.

Blah blah blah.. I thought the same thing at first. Watch the later episodes. They got a whole lot better. I wish some things would change, still, but it's very watchable, now.

The way they say "what were they thinking?" gets on my nerves. There are so many ways to present that headline