[01x02] March 1st, 2009

[01x02] March 1st, 2009

• Total voters
I have to say, I liked this episode. I found it a solid sequel and I am certainly sticking around for #3.

This cast has chemistry. It may not be to the level of the JC/RH/JM, but it is certainly more then I felt the TGA team had most of the Series, much less in the second episode.

Overall, I find TGR to be much closer to TGUK then TGA. The hosts have better chemistry and they are closer to the "roles" the original UK trio hold. Yes, this week's challenge was effectively a clone of the 100 Pound Car challenge TGUK did, but it was still amusing in the same way the TGUK challenge was.

And I think I learned more from TGR's review of the Aston Martin V8 then I did from TGUK's review! :?

This cast has chemistry. It may not be to the level of the JC/RH/JM, but it is certainly more then I felt the TGA team had most of the Series

Exactly !!!

I actually laughed @ the end, that fat man just reminded me of JC :lol:

Last edited:
Better than the first but still not that great..... The clip of them torching a MAZ 66 should be funny but I will never get past the fact that Top Gear UK already did it with the Hilux.

Mind you, understanding the language (even slightly) makes you realize how contrived and utterly scripted it is. Also, some of the phrases might be vaguely translated as chavvishly vulgar as "Oi, check 'dis ride, its wicked innit!". What. The. Fuck. Tim Westwood would look pretty much at home with our chaps there :p

How did you like the "Ein, zwei, drei" by the way? :lol:

it was utterly useless, Kuchera smattering in some german bits just shows, that he got the wrong job in the wrong program :?

One has to consider though, that for russians it is actually easier to learn german (difficult language) than english (easy-ish language). I spent 4 years in siberia and I encountered many people being rather adept at german, but speaking english is a rather useless asset there. me being halfway proficient at russian, was a help though. They really appreciate if you try speaking russian and they don't mind the odd eff-up. In fact russian people are a great bunch o' guys. except the ones fancying drive-by-shootings, which in 2004 seemed to be quite common place in Omsk *yikes*

Last edited:
One has to consider though, that for russians it is actually easier to learn german (difficult language) than english (easy-ish language). I spent 4 years in siberia and I encountered many people being rather adept at german, but speaking english is a rather useless asset there.

Yeah, my grampa spoke fluent german (I grew up in Ukraine). Can you guess why? :rolleyes:

It might get me killed but I like the russian cool wall better than the original one. In the original, it's just Jeremy putting the cars where he wants. Hammond, May and the audiance are irrelevant, it's just a tool for the balding one to bath in his own greatness ( well in his mind this is )
The russian presenters interacted with the audience and took input from them, so it reflects the opinion of a broader variety of people rather than just the utterly irrelevant point of a legend in his own mind.

Do you really think so? All the action are severely scripted.
The "Volga is cool" part is absolutely silly. Yes, 30 years ago Volga was a very difficult car to get. Only big bosses and criminals could ride it. Does it make it a cool car today? Only if you are the one of creators of such show as TGR.
And "Mazda Miata is way uncool because it's Mazda" - does it really makes sense?

We might get some commentary on the last year's Geneva then! Oh, nevermind...

I'm not so sure... As far as I can see the target audience of TGR prefers stars of glamour to the good cars. The only way you can see Geneva is a bunch of big shiny expensive cars for rich (and tasteless) people - and wait to see all these cars on the cool part of the Wall.

Honestly, I could see a Volga being considered "cool". :p

And the UK staff do "consult" the audience on a decision on occasion.

The above being said, I do agree that some of their decisions seem to be as driven by personal biases and likes as the UK Cool Wall is. However, they do seem to consider cars that are expensive to be cool, which is not always the case with TGUK. However, I agree with them that the Veyron belongs in sub-zero just for what it represents as a technological achievement.

I also notice that the TGR presenters do not seem to follow the "if we own it, it is Seriously Uncool" rule that the TGUK team do.

Honestly, I could see a Volga being considered "cool". :p

Well, the russians are not :)
The main principle of the Cool Wall is "who drives it". And the Volga drivers ARE seriously uncool. They are TYING to LOOK cool because THEY THINK that Volga is still a cool car - but it's old big slow and clumsy car with bad drivers by the wheel.

And the UK staff do "consult" the audience on a decision on occasion.

Yes, and it looks very funny.

The above being said, I do agree that some of their decisions seem to be as driven by personal biases and likes as the UK Cool Wall is.

Not personal, that's the problem. As I said before all the action are scripted. And you can clearly hear it in their voices.

However, they do seem to consider cars that are expensive to be cool, which is not always the case with TGUK.

Well, that part I can accept, because there is no autoculture in Russia, so all expensive cars are cool. If you drive one of these you must be rich enough (or you have a rich "sponsor"). And that's very cool.

However, I agree with them that the Veyron belongs in sub-zero just for what it represents as a technological achievement.

Agreed :)

I also notice that the TGR presenters do not seem to follow the "if we own it, it is Seriously Uncool" rule that the TGUK team do.

Yes, and they can't say something like "Aston Martin Vantage is seriously uncool because our chief editor owns one".

It really wasn't to shabby. I love old mercs, so seeing the one guy drive a rusty old Mercedes around was good.

Still though, there is quit a bit of extra CHEEEESE that could be done without.

The horrid test track, yellow grass and bare trees, overall dirtiness make it feel more authentically Russian to me! Of course, watching it with a big glass of vodka straight up makes it even better :)

As an owner of an MX-5, I was pulling my hair out on the first episode, but when I saw the audience booing it for the cool wall, I understood that taste is just different there. I can totally imagine an MX-5 just not making any sense in that country.. Richard Hammon would probably be in more trouble than he almost got into when TGUK went to the Eastern US.

What's next, TGChina or TGIndia? I beg for Top Gear Canada in British Columbia, where we have some mighty awesome mountain roads, but there just aren't enough people here!

As an owner of an MX-5, I was pulling my hair out on the first episode, but when I saw the audience booing it for the cool wall, I understood that taste is just different there. I can totally imagine an MX-5 just not making any sense in that country.. Richard Hammon would probably be in more trouble than he almost got into when TGUK went to the Eastern US.

Personally, I believe it's far less complicated than you might think. A red light comes up which says "Boo NOW", and a green one which says "Applause" :rolleyes:

Finally came to watch it with subtitles and ended up giving it just 3 out of 10 points. The reason being that it was a cheap shot at the original Top Gear instead of the attempt of developing a unique style. I actually found this significantly worse than the 1st episode, since they kind of resumed "normal service" and ended up with the same problems as TGA: no feel for timing whatsoever, no proper storyline to follow, wooden acting, no conclusions you can identify with.

Instead of copying TG 1:1, I think they should try to use the idea as a basis and then start to develop their own way of handling things. So while I found the 1st episode quite promising, I for now think it's just a cheaply made copy of Top Gear.

Last edited:
I rated the episode 7, although it's a bit crap. But I have to remember, that officialy, no-one outside UK never sought TG, so re-doing of their stuff is ok. And I am currently learning russian, so it's one of the best practices of the language skills...

Beside that, chemistry between the hosts works and they do TG in their style, which is ok. I adore the cynism of the original show, but the Russians have it another way and it's ok...

But I have to remember, that officialy, no-one outside UK never sought TG, so re-doing of their stuff is ok.

Incorrect. The original series were licensed to broadcast in quite a number of countries, including Russia. So it has been airing there for a good few years, dubbed of course.

And I am currently learning russian, so it's one of the best practices of the language skills...

Sure, it may be. But just be advised to mainly learn from Petrovskiy rather than anyone else currently present, otherwise you may well end up sounding like a chav with dyslexia ;)

Car Review NF: Porsche 911 Cabrio B Turbo vs. Aston Martin V8 Roadster Vantage. Good segment, enjoyed this and don?t think I?ve seen that Porsche before.:cool:

Miscellaneous Segment: Used cars for 20,000 roubles [400 GBP] ?
I enjoyed this, it was funny in parts and I liked the start of the ?running jokes? (Oscar parking/bumping Mike?s car.:))

SIARPC: Singer Alexander Marshal ? seemed too rushed, needs work

News & Cool Wall: Introduction, pleased to see it in the show but will take some time for the audience and performers to get into it.