[01x02] October 6th, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the filming of this one and the dumptruck challenge is pretty funny. I think the show is only going to be getting better. Wont say too much as I dont want to spoil the show for everyone.

HB

a) It was Motor
b) Garth Tander was driving at the time
c) There was a tyre barrier across the track - when there shouldn't have been any
d) The car was hardly wrecked - the front fascia took the brunt of it losing it's outer left section, but it looked purely cosmetic.
Actually it ended up being over $10,000 worth of damage. Car wasn't tied down properly in the car carrier and kept grinding against the sides of the trailer for the entire trip.

Actually it ended up being over $10,000 worth of damage. Car wasn't tied down properly in the car carrier and kept grinding against the sides of the trailer for the entire trip.

Oh man... that's, err, unfortunate...

I think the BOSS is far improved for the FG, but its still thirstier, and slower than the LS3 Holdens, which are thirstier and slower than the turbo falcon.
The big secret is in the way both engines deliver their power. The Boss is all top end, the F6 right through the range. The Boss feels nose-heavy and the F6 like a go-kart.
I don't buy into this whole Red v Blue thing (notice the cars in the pic are red and blue?) but in terms of what makes the most entertaining drive on *public* roads, I'd go with the F6 over the lead-tipped Boss any time.

SPOILER ALERT

http://www.fpv.com.au/news/press-releases/document.aspx?ID=3214

Top Gear Australia recently labelled the new FPV F6 as "Quite simply the best sport sedan on sale in the world today under a hundred grand."

Last edited:
SPOILER ALERT

http://www.fpv.com.au/news/press-releases/document.aspx?ID=3214

Top Gear Australia recently labelled the new FPV F6 as "Quite simply the best sport sedan on sale in the world today under a hundred grand."
That's from the magazine not the show.

i don't like the sound of that spoiler :(.

Unfortunately it is already filmed so they wont be able to take any advice given after the first episode(oh there was so much!).

How ever as someone who has not always been roaming city streets i hope they do test these cars properly(rather than that softroader bullshit). Perhaps a race over some buffel grass or cultivation heh. At least the fords and holdens are no recycled tin can(pain to my ears). I hope the guest is as awesome as Vince was.

Personally i'd go holden. Bogan by nature, Holden by choice!
In my limited experience(mates cars, mines a piece of shit) the bommodores seem to go longer with out major issues while the coons have had some issues. The issues didn't seem major enough to change the owners minds though!

Front wheel drive falcon anyone?

That's from the magazine not the show.

I didn't realise that was from the magazine although would you expect there to be a difference from the magazine to the show ?

Yes. The magazine reviewers are different people. Different people have different opinions.

I suspect though that we could be seeing a blue victory

(even though I prefer the Clubsport)

It looks like this segment hasn't been mentioned (that or it happening in 01x03) but it looks like the boys are going to take it right upto those 'Soccer Mums' in 4WDs that never see a spick of dirt...

Those of us not living in the state of Victoria (Australia, of course) probably have no idea what a Toorak Tractor is, but if you think of whichever suburb on the fringe of the inner city hosts the most moneyed-up SUV drivers who?ve never seen a dirt road in their lives, you?ll get the general idea. Here in Melbourne, that suburb is Toorak, and such an SUV is known as a Toorak Tractor.

To bring us their own spin on the Toorak Tractor, the boys from Top Gear Australia took an actual tractor out on to the streets of Toorak and neighbouring South Yarra. Bloody clowns? But you?ve gotta love it! In their defence, the tractor they were driving is worth a bit more than most of those owned by the honking angry drivers crawling along behind Pizzati and Brown, coming in at about $200,000.

Look for it in an upcoming episode of Top Gear Australia.

Source: http://www.themotorreport.com.au/9220/top-gear-australias-take-on-the-toorak-tractor/

Being a Victorian myself I cannot wait :) This show is going strength to strength and the guest for SIARPC seems will be more entertainment than VC

EDIT: My bad, it looks like this has *just being filmed and thus probably won't be scene till further down the track

Last edited:
really it is very strange. but then i have never driven xr6 turbo, i have xr8 though. i was looking at the ford website an hour ago and it said turbo has 20 less KW than XR8 but 13Nm more torue. i dont know if they know about this thing :p
Man, you really bought the whole farm.

The problem with you, and the majority of car buyers, is that they put such a high price on figures. The V8 falcon has more weight over the front axles, has more weight total, barely more power and is more thirsty than the turbo i6 falcon.

I've owned 8 cylinder, 6 cylinder, 5 cylinder and 4 cylinder cars. They've all got their strengths, but focusing on outright power is always going to dissapoint in the end.

Heck, I would take a lightweight well sorted car over a powerfull car any day of the week.

Man, you really bought the whole farm.

The problem with you, and the majority of car buyers, is that they put such a high price on figures. The V8 falcon has more weight over the front axles, has more weight total, barely more power and is more thirsty than the turbo i6 falcon.

I've owned 8 cylinder, 6 cylinder, 5 cylinder and 4 cylinder cars. They've all got their strengths, but focusing on outright power is always going to dissapoint in the end.

Heck, I would take a lightweight well sorted car over a powerfull car any day of the week.
the v8 falcons are slower in every regard though.

Didn't know where to post this but according to daylight savings TG starts in 2 hours not 3, dunno if mods are gonna fix that cause not all states use daylight savings

Not long now. I'm going for the Holden, even though the HSVs are not that good looking, they're good in a straight line. I'm guessing that trolls will be out again in their forces after the show.

I suspect though that we could be seeing a blue victory

(even though I prefer the Clubsport)

I think I'd prefer a Clubsport too ... but I'm hoping for a blue victory (for a number of reasons).

The Falcon is the only real Australian car left and Ford are thinking of dropping it in the future in favour of some FWD alternative :mad:. I'd like to see the F6 win and a horde of foreign finalgear subscribers race out to their local Ford shop and demand to be able to buy one .... maybe influence Ford to rethink the Falcon's future.

Secondly, if the best Ford is no longer a V8 it might influence a change in touring car racing in Australia (currently dominated by the V8 supercartel). How good would it be to see Bathurst return to a race with many different makes and engine sizes again. And, if you think little cars can't compete with the V8s have a look at this:

[YOUTUBE]5nuRgzaJ-q8[/YOUTUBE]​

[YOUTUBE]kKFTm9yKGfQ[/YOUTUBE]

There aren't any good videos of fg f6's on youtube yet, so here's one with the regular xr6 turbo (for euro's not familar with the inline 6 turbo ford has)

The turbo 6's (the one in the vid above) but especially the F6 are no doubt fast, but their power delivery is too wild. It can't possibly be an enjoyable drive with something like that. There's a video on youtube of a full-noise F6 0-100 launch. and once the turbo kicks in revs jump form 3000 right to cutout and absolutely smack you in the face and cant possibly be good for the tranny or anything to be honest. Its too much of a handful for a brilliant car.
But the HSV's even though some just knock them for being pushrod V8 sedans are exceptional. Driving one has been a pleasure in my life, they are fantastic. The LS3 is so nice to use, nice and such a brilliant cruiser, but its mad enough to be a sharp tool as well. Despite capacity, it uses barely any fuel with the yearly overall average figure being a small 13.1L/100km according to customer feedback. And that chassis....fantastic, nimble for a V8, confident brakes and nice suspension. And looks to match. the black-eyed FPV's dnt do it for me, its a boy racer addition, i dnt really like it.

The F6 has a fastest record of 5.2 seconds from 0-100 (0-62 for those imperial buggers), the GTS has a fastest record of 5.0 seconds (4.9 if you believe HSV engineers....)
Although the F6 may possibly be a better performer in different conditions in a straight line (i havent seen any as of yet), the HSv's just seem the better car to buy. Look nicer, ecellent on fuel in V8 terms, nice V8 sound, interior is a nice place to be, brilliant chassis, nice equipment and seemingly better cruisers, not to mention the healthier wallet as i've always been a bit suss about turbo's and the maintenance bills they come with. Can't really see an F6 with high k's on it going to far. And as far as im concerned it looks like a taxi with a haridryer (turbo)

Status
Not open for further replies.