[01x02] October 6th, 2008

[01x02] October 6th, 2008

• Total voters
Is it just me or do others scratch their heads at some of the audience? Alot of them were old and looked like they had no clue what was going on, for instance during the SIARPC there was a bunch of old women in the background looking bored and having no clue what is going on, i'm just surprised there is a lack of Final Gear Member that i know who have attended unless i'm missing something.

I think alot of the people just want to be on TV then experience TG first hand, maybe that because i'm a tad jealous i dunno.

/My rant

I faced the same dilemma. This weeks episode was clearly better in every way than last weeks which I gave a 7 for, but is it really worthy of an 8? <snip>

I think I tend to vote based partly on my expectations of the show. If they continue to improve, my expectations will rise and they will have to do better to get the same score ..... inconsistent, but it isn't exactly life and death :)

Much better.

One major difference. There's now a third editor in the credits. Guess they realised they weren't actually going to make the deadlines. ;)

Flappy Cox is still in danger of taking off.
Steve is growing on me.
Warren Brown is bloody great. "Third gear. Whacko." Pure Uncle Arthur! And the undertaker hat. Loved it.

The GT piece was beautifully shot and edited. As were the Ute and Showdown pieces, for that matter.

Still no real points or conclusions to some of the stories. (Except for the maybe for the ute piece).

The Ford ute had press test fleet rego plates and was only a few numbers from the one in the studio. Also I'm guessing Proton have said "You can have a Bog Standard Car if you make our Jumbuck look good."

Overall, not as bad as last week.

So much better than last week,

I can see this becoming a great show.

The audience is a let down, they dont get into it as much as they should. Though, was better than last week.

The hearse idea was great, but the story didnt really get anywhere, and I expected more.

They seem to have a better relationship now though (the hosts) and it flowed heaps better because of it.

Be interesting to see what some of the internationals make of this week, has more of an "australian" feel to it somehow (not just the holden/ford thing)

A solid 8. Plenty of LOL moments, spot on HSV vs FPV review and the GT. Holy crap, that GT :love:

More refined than the first, liked the reviews and the challenge was ok, the Smart Hearse segment wasn't too crash hot and what was with the sudden weightloss with the Stig at the funeral? :?

8/10

:thumbup:

bloody huge improvement. the blonde wank wasn't so bad this time around.

Ford GT segment was nice.
Ford vs Holden segment was spot on! (Warming the tires! Can't get enough of it!)
The star was good again.
Ute challenge was good. Except it should have been a 1-tonner challenge.
Smart car segment was a bit different. But better than the moke one. It was rather entertaining. I loved the ocky straps!

Huge improvement. When i was ready to give it all away. I have regained my faith.

I hope the BBC skips the first ep and airs this in the UK sometime.

How good is this episode compared to the first one? :) They will get better. I still think given Australian TG is starting from a clean sheet, they should have used an actual track as testing. There are many many private tracks dot the states, quite a few around Sydney. Then there are the Wakefield, Winton, the next Oran Park for eg. The Ford/Holden was at wakefield, can't believe how side ways they got the things around turn 2... hahaha if I tried it I'd end up in the dirt, or grass... and I have! hehehe Well done!

agree with almost everyone

huge improvement from last week.

i think the anticipation of the first ep made our expectations to high but the second ep was really well done

i gave it an 8

How good is this episode compared to the first one? :) They will get better. I still think given Australian TG is starting from a clean sheet, they should have used an actual track as testing. There are many many private tracks dot the states, quite a few around Sydney. Then there are the Wakefield, Winton, the next Oran Park for eg. The Ford/Holden was at wakefield, can't believe how side ways they got the things around turn 2... hahaha if I tried it I'd end up in the dirt, or grass... and I have! hehehe Well done!

Winton is in Victoria and they are going to get rid of the Oran Park track and not replace it.

Nice. Seemed a little more polished, and the presenters seem more at ease.

What I liked:
- The Smart Hearse! I was laughing out loud big time, I don't remember laughing out that loud during TG series 11!
- The ute challenge. I like how a couple of actual useful facts found its way into the piece, like Charlie pointing out the issue with the gap between the Navara's tailgate and body
- Steve Bisley was a relatively engaging guest, and gotta love how he left his mark on the Proton (Charlie still has a way to go as an interviewer though, tbh)
- Some of the filming in the Ford v Holden piece, and the whole 'warming up the tyres' thing.
- the Ford GT40 film, 'nuff said.
- Steve Pizzati has been kept away from the red cordial
- 'What were they thinking' keeps getting better

What I didn't like:
- How non-commital the Ford v Holden piece was. Seems like they were trying to win friends on both sides.
- Still seems like they're packing too much in. That said, I may get used to the abridged feel of TGA in time, but I reckon they could have expanded on the FvH and Ute challenge a bit.
- FFS Charlie, STOP YELLING! You could be cool - well not cool as such ... but yelling isn't making you any more endearing. Please stop.

A definite improvement on 1x01. I'd prefer there to be fewer more in-depth pieces, but if TGA want to go the more concise route, then I'm sure I'll adjust. The shorter pieces seemed more complete than 1x01, funnily enough. The hearse piece was spot-on in terms of length. I still think the F v H piece was a cop-out, and that's why I was almost going to give this a 7 rather than an 8. I felt it was a 7.5, but had to round up. Last week was a 6.5 but I had to round that up to 7.

Can't wait until Wednesday when I'll be at TGA. :dance:

Last edited:
Good stuff this week - much better than last week

smart car bit was funny as - especially Warrens cartoons!
he should use those cartoons all the time....

ute challenge was also fairly good
holden V ford - was great to see them drifting!!!

looking forward to next weeks one..

A lot better than last weeks effort.
Rated a 5

The GT film was a bit of a let down.
I assume it was privatly owned, so they couldn't thrash it, so we really ended up with Cox driving it slowly around the track and country roads.
Some shots at night in the city would of been great.

Steve belting his head on the top of the GT's door was great.

The Bogan 4 door show down really didn't play into the Ford v Holden thing enough. Should of been one staunce Ford man, one staunce GM, both powersliding to convince there car was better. Then conclude, that a decision doesn't matter, because people are just gonna buy to their loyalty anyway.
I found it a bit weird that they both jumped in the F6 and did some laps, but didn't jump in the Clubsport to do the same.
I guess thats just inexperience in editing and continuity.

What were they thinking? = What were they thinking!

The mine/ute film. Well, great really. I quite enjoyed it.

SIABSC always comes down to the guest, but due to my personal dislike of Cox, I was alway going to hate the segment.
I still really dislike Cox. Way too annoying of a voice, too loud, almost in a way too formal, and he tends to walk all over the other presenters and guests as if its the Cox show.

It seems the crazy car stunt will finish the show each week, which I think is a good idea, leave the audience with smile on their face as the show finishes.
It just needs to be a bit quirkier and a bit more scripted with a specific goal set out.

And The Stig in a cemetery :lol:
I loved the tossing of the flowers bit.
At least they've perfectly copied the Stigs phsyical humor.

Winton is in Victoria and they are going to get rid of the Oran Park track and not replace it.

Yeah I know, but they still could use Winton as a base for track testing for eg if it has more time they can book. But for obviosu reasons prefer it'd be at Wakefield! Oran Park is going, sadly. I know, I'm one of the last persons to set a recorded tiem for the Full GP circuit in September, I can't imagine too many more people can claim that :( But Luffy and the boys are working on the replacement. Not very far from it, I guess he will also build a purpose built training facility. Really looking forward to that. I think next year is Oran's last, and hopfully I can drive the full GP circuit again before it shuts. :)

Last edited:
I found it a bit weird that they both jumped in the F6 and did some laps, but didn't jump in the Clubsport to do the same.

I just assumed they broke the Clubby.

:)

I just assumed they broke the Clubby.

:)

Clearly they didn't want to upset Holden, but I think this means what they really thought, Ford wins! hahaha oh dear, what have I done?? :mrgreen:

The audience were pretty average. I saw one of the older ladies in the front yawn at one point. The studio parts still seemed a little awkward though especially Steve and Warren looking like idiots while examining the Ford GT.

The cars looked really good in every film and the utes ended up like all utes should... scratched and dirty.

Be interesting to see what some of the internationals make of this week, has more of an "australian" feel to it somehow (not just the holden/ford thing)

I'm guessing that Warren's second cartoon (with the Jag) won't make a lot of sense to foreigners, at least with why he introduced it with the accent that he did.

And do foreigners know what a "Seppo" is?

Well I guess that's their own fault for not knowing how to speak 'Strine.