[01x02] October 6th, 2008

[01x02] October 6th, 2008

• Total voters
i think i will have to wait for the rip. i got stuck at work.:(

Certainly showed improvements on last weeks episode. Charlie needs to stop waving his hands around so much and making bad puns about going to an ad break.

That was much better, but not enough for me to up the rating from the 8/10 I gave ep. 1. The flow of the thing as a whole was much better and the Fortwo hearse was hilarious. I want a hearse-driver's hat now...:D

But, I'm finding just too many bits and pieces not fitting quite how I'd like. I must be one of few ppl (or so it would seem so far) who didn't like the Holden vs Ford review. I wanted a verdict, or, not even necessarily that - it just felt like something was missing. It was fun seeing the two crazy sedans drift around and smoke the tyres for about twenty seconds, but I would have liked to learn a little more about the cars themselves. I mean, that's what the show's meant to be about, right? I would also have liked them take the mine challenge a little further. I mean, it's ridiculous to begin with - why not run with it?

The best thing of all, for me, however: This time I'm actually really looking forward to the next ep., not that I was dreading this one, but this effort seems to have increased my anticipation of what they'll do next. Well done boys, I think the chemistry it still a little lacking but what was present somehow seemed more 'natural' to me tonight.

Anyway as I said.. 8 / 10 again.

Last edited:
Better. Much much better.

Laughed alot at Warrens cartoons. It did feel as though the news was a bit rushed. They put forward a lot of stuff but didn't really go anywhere with them. Very little disscussion. And Charlie, enough with the bad jokes already.

Other than that, much better than last week. Solid 9 from me

Huge improvement this week. Some really great work and films made. 8

Still to work on:
  • Relaxing a bit
  • Better, suggestive conclusions
  • More Cartoons :)
  • Less arm waving
  • Performance figures - namely top speed and 0-100kmh
  • A track with actual lines and camera work that relates to the track and the position of the car

Only small issues really.

Otherwise i was hugely impressed with the improvement made over just one episode. Keep up the good work gents.

I gave a 6/10 last week. I'll give this one a 7/10....but only just.

It was better but mainly because I didn't cringe once, unlike the first episode where I did so many times. So that was a positive.

+1 over 01x01 for the same reason. And the pacing was much better, and there were a couple of genuine LOL moments, which were sorely lacking in 01x01. Almost -1, for again not introducing the track, the camera angles were much better though.

Here's a question: Wazza inviting the crowd to cheer after mentioning Bond will drive an Aston - what's all that about? Did the "APPLAUSE" sign break? Or maybe they're trying to establish that they want the audience to participate a bit more. Speaking of which, there hasn't been any host / audience interaction yet. Those situations often provide some of the best laughs of TGUK.

Speaking of which, there hasn't been any host / audience interaction yet. Those situations often provide some of the best laughs of TGUK.
Heheh, I think they're still getting use to each other, let alone the audience :p

I was at the filming for this episode (2)

Was a pretty good day out, i was actually standing right near the back of the ford GT when they gave it a rev. They warned us multiple times that it was going to be loud and it was. Half the audience behind it was coughing from the petrol fumes that were spat out those huge tail pipes, was hilarious.

Steve is actually a really funny guy, doesn't come across on the camera so much as yet. the funniest was Steve kissing and licking the side of the camera lens as Warren tried to look at the camera and do the start of the news.

Another running joke in the studio that Steve introduced us to was that the head producer was "Satan." Every now and again he would come over the loud speaker "do another take." Steve always replied with "Yes Satan"

As for the audience, it was a boiling hot day in Sydney that day, and the filming took around 4 hours....four hours in a tin shed on a 30 degree day, meant everyone was pretty tired, especially when you have to pretend laugh at the same jokes you have heard three times for the multiple takes.

P.S I don't think i was in any of the shots, was trying to avoid the camera.
P.P.S I am not an old fat uninterested man, as someone suggested all the audience members were earlier.

Cheers,

Rowlo

A little better than last week, the biggest improvement for me was Charlie Cox, I couldnt stand Charlie last week, but this week he was a lot better, both he and steve seemed a little more relaxed, and Charlie didnt sound like he was drunk from half a cask of wine.

The GT40 review charlie did was awesome, the holden vs ford was above average, the mine challenge was watchable, but the hearse segment was pointless. I loved Warren last week, but this week I feel he let the show down with that segment.

Still no map or ariel shot of the track which is a bit of a disappointment but the overall feel of the show was much better than last week.

After the first episode I genuinely wanted to see Charlie Cox fired and maybe Steve as well, but this week I took a shine to them both, especially Charlie.

Well, the discussion last Tuesday morning upon arrival at the office was "how long did you hold out before you changed the channel?" I was one of the few that lasted, and pledged to watch the following week. Glad I did. Others have pretty much summed up my thoughts, tone76 doing a very good job of downloading my brain. It's getting better, although maybe I'm feeling a bit old if people don't know who Steve Bisley is (and yes, I know almost in the oldest age group...top 3% I like to think :eek:)

I still find it heartening that no matter how beautifully the pieces are shot, people are still realising that the stories are a bit lame.

A poo rolled in glitter is still just that. But they are getting better.

:)

i'm starting to develop a soft spot for warren. those cartoons were rofl inducing! more of them please! it would be great to see the aussies branch out even more from the traditional uk format (eg, different way of introducing the stig, maybe?)

^ I agree I think The Stig needs a new introduction, and not just from the Aussies, but the Brits as well. It's a joke that's approaching it's sell by date I think.

It was indeed a lot better then the last episode, but there is still much to improve and the track....... well I still want a layout, because it's still confusing. :p

This episode was really good. It all seamed to flow, unlike the previous one. Cox was way better, even in the supercar review. Gave it a 10 to support the show and the presenters for their work iimproving it and for the fact that it had utes, which I love!

I gave it a 1 last week but it's up to a 5 for this one.

I'll give them their due, Steve and Cox calmed down a lot, I guess Cox is someone I'll have to get used to if I keep watching.
Warren is the gem who has much more grip on what makes TG different from 5th Gear or other cat shows.

GT40 was ful of little facts tacked on to one another, no "storyline" so it doesn't flow, that's where a good scripter comes in, get a story/structure (then now future whatever) and stick with it. JC (Jeremy) did a piece on the Scallieti which felt dull too all powershots and little facts, but it makes for a dull bit of film.

Utes was ok, nice idea well thought out and done pretty ok.

Ford vs Holden, bit too 5th gear like, Jason and Tiff..
I'm no ford/holden enthusiast, low tech big engine things that give power for money like Steve suggested, that's a good way of saying "if you want a car that you can use properly pay a bit more and get European" but whatever.

Hearse, was ok, I'd have left that one for a few weeks later but done ok. Can't see cox in that kind of thing yet.

You want good ratings you got to let your hair down Cox, all tough might be aussie but it makes for fake tv, JC and the boys are human and will do silly things to get a laugh, emotion sells better than cold facts about some car. If you don't know what I'm on about ask Warren, he's fine with having people laugh about his silly stuff and that makes him a nice believable guy.

If you believed Clarkson every car was his favorite when he was a kid, lots of enthusiasm grabs more viewers, not just yelling but telling it as if you mean it (yeah that's called acting, fake but it makes it less dull).

I liked the bloke for the SIARPC segment much better and the interview was decent, bit more history and little fun parts, much more interesting guy than last weeks up himselvo.

Anyway, from a 1 to a 5 maybe next week I'll give ya an 8 or so..

Still hate the moron who is the "main" presenter

The ford GT review was awful... the power lap is even worse than awful, buy a few camera people... and i dont know why but i feel he's a bad driver, i dont feel the power of the UK Stig (probably because of the camera but still)

Holden/Ford, not good, too fifth gearish and not very fact interesting in the same time, are they race driver ? i mean tiff and jason are proper race driver you can feel it, i feel like they have the same talent as Jezza or James

The "rock" challenge was at least a bit entertaining

SIARPC, track filming like for the power lap is just so bad it's barely watchable... and the fact that it's the one i hate that is presenting that segment doesnt help

The Smart ... i dont know what to think, it feel like a very old segment, shooted years ago, i mean the smart ? :x it's not really a hyped car at the moment, the Fiat 500 or a Mini are much much more used for advertising ...
but at least it was the two host that i like

I hate the "what where they thinking" segment too

I give it a 3