[01x02] October 6th, 2008

[01x02] October 6th, 2008

• Total voters
Is that just a Sydney thing??? I've never heard of that one... (even when I lived in Sydney...)

It's kind of an old one, too, so it might have passed out of use in some places. I've heard it used since at least the late '90s, and I'm an American.

American -> Yank -> septic tank -> septic/seppo

Even better is the use of Listerine for people who dislike Americans. Listerine being an antiseptic. Think I heard that first time on QI.

Is that just a Sydney thing??? I've never heard of that one... (even when I lived in Sydney...)

I've heard of it being used...generally in magazines like Street Machine etc. which are based in Sydney/NSW....never really heard anyone down here saying it.

It's an improvement over the first episode, but it's still not quite there.

Also, sorry for appearing ignorant, but isn't the standard Ford GT 550hp? Was the one they were testing a heavily customised version? Quite a difference between 550 and 800hp.

With flame-proof pants firmly buckled up...

I'm pretty sure the "ute" preceded the "pick-up". So.... it's y'all with the unique name for the ve-hicle.

*runs*

:)

(Yes, I did see you were in BC but I couldn't help myself. ;) )
(Seems Utes and Pickups are actually regarded as two totally separate styles, so there ya go.)

You are correct so, take those flame-proof pants off you pillow. :rolleyes:

Pick-up trucks are "utes" and the whole concept was invented by Ford Australia in the 1930s after a farmer's wife wrote to them pleading for a vehicle she could cart hay around in during the week and drive the family to church in on a Sunday. Their success in Australia led Ford Detroit to start building similar vehicles.

http://www.fastlane.com.au/Features/First_ute.htm

Why the hell did they not put the F6 and HSV around the track!!! That was one of the biggest reasons I watched the show for!

To me it wasn't as good as the first show. Not as funny, the hearse thing was completely stupid and much worse than the shark cage Moke segment and I found it a bit boring TBH. Last week I gave it a 7, this week it got a 5.

PS: Boy did Steve Bisley show up Vince Colosimo around the test track! 6 seconds quicker!!! It was also good to see better camera angles on the test track for the power lap of the GT.

Didn't get to see all of it as was having dinner but I can't blame them for not wanting to be decisive on the Ford Vs Holden thing. As they said, it'd immediately make nearly half the audience dislike them whichever way they went.

You are correct so, take those flame-proof pants off you pillow. :rolleyes:

Haha! Haven't been called that in ages. :)

As an aside: My homework this week is to rewatch Peking to Paris, just to see how good Warren was it in it.

Haha! Haven't been called that in ages. :)

As an aside: My homework this week is to rewatch Peking to Paris, just to see how good Warren was it in it.

I tried watching it when it was on a few months ago, but didn't pay much attention to the participants .... was too busy controlling my jealousy towards them. What a great adventure that would have been.

"ute" comes from utility vehicle, just like suv stands for sports utility vehicle etc, forgive the aussies for not even seeming to know that..

septics.. that's SO a pom thing and it's pathetic, not even worth commenting on, intelligence gone backwards.

fords and holdens? I got no respect for any holden or any ford ever since they had to ban all other cars from racing as our lame hoon mobiles couldn't beat them.

Didn't get to see all of it as was having dinner but I can't blame them for not wanting to be decisive on the Ford Vs Holden thing. As they said, it'd immediately make nearly half the audience dislike them whichever way they went.

they agreed the Holden had the better engine, thats the first time i've heard that about the turbo motor.

I tried watching it when it was on a few months ago, but didn't pay much attention to the participants .... was too busy controlling my jealousy towards them. What a great adventure that would have been.

Warren knows what it takes to tell a good story on film. The TGA process must frustrate the hell out of him.

ABC1 is showing it at the moment during the day on Fridays (I think 2pm but check your TV guide).

Cool. I'm there, homebrew in hand.

Edit: Never mind,,, just figured it out!

About bloody time. I mean what kind of 'Strayan doesn't know what a Seppo is?

And in other, more pointless news, I finally got a rep point. FEAR MY POWER!! MWAHAHAHAH!

Reactions: cpd
They fell of the pace this week. I am sorry Charlie just doesn't cut it. I turn off when he is on. If they were to change him with someone like Steve Vizard or someone is acerbic and misanthropic they would have a winner on their hands. They are middle of the road at the moment, much like the first series when Jason Dawe was on.

They found someone in Steve Pizzati, he is quality. Warren Brown is quality as well. I watched last week with little expectation. I thought I would give it another go. I watch next week hoping they can improve.

They fell of the pace this week. I am sorry Charlie just doesn't cut it. I turn off when he is on. If they were to change him with someone like Steve Vizard or someone is acerbic and misanthropic they would have a winner on their hands. They are middle of the road at the moment, much like the first series when Jason Dawe was on.

They found someone in Steve Pizzati, he is quality. Warren Brown is quality as well. I watched last week with little expectation. I thought I would give it another go. I watch next week hoping they can improve.

Maybe Cox is the equivalent of Jason Dawe.

I'm just making assumptions, of course. But I haven't got a chance to watch TGA, not even downloaded. Haven't got enough time.

Just watched the first ep of Peking to Paris. Bloody brilliant. Beautifully put together.

Simply compare the credits of P2P to TGA and you'll begin to realise how under-resourced TGA really is.

Hmmm.

|
V

Last edited:
Just watched ep2 now, I think they fixed all my complaints about ep1. Sensational.

tga is not bad, if only they could fix the camera(s) on the track...
in this episode they even made me laugh a few times :p

but , i will never forgive them for being a replica in the first place..

It seems that the pilot episode has killed ratings, they were hoping to crack the million viewer mark this week but instead they went backwards from 800,000 to 600,000

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,26278,24459517-5016681,00.html

Not surprising. It's a bit disastrous to start a bit weak. Everyone watched, expecting greatness, and everyone was disappointed. I knew this would happen, I've had heaps of people telling me it's crap and they won't watch it, but I've just told them to give it a chance - hopefully I'm right.