[01x03] December 2nd, 2016

[01x03] December 2nd, 2016

• Total voters
The best episode so far. I gave it a 7.
I didn't like Hammonds car, it was too obviously chosen to "annoy" James. That felt all a bit staged. I also didn't like the donut-nonsense and the autonomous car bit.
Other than that, I liked the episode. It wasn't the best they've ever produced, but it was quite solid and entertaining.

Last edited:
YESSSS.

I think Hammond's part on this ep would be better used if it was him trying to convince the other two that his Dodge could also be a good grand tourer, actually trying to take part in it. This was just Richard being as obnoxious and loud as possible for no apparent reason, other than ruining the trip and pissing everyone off on purpose.

I found it funny at first, but then it started to drag on, and on, and on... I still liked the episode though.

Last edited:
Loved Jezzas new shoes! Very liberal of him I thought.
Brilliant show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Too many donuts but I still give it 8/10.

S01E01 (7/10)
S01E02 (7/10)
S01E03 (8/10)

almost the whole episode was about Hammond being a secret American. lol
It was funny for the first few minutes, then I got tired of the theme..
But it was a really well-shot program and had some funny bits (*ahem*)

Isn't it strange how views can change within a week? ;) Last week many people predicted the inevitable failure and this week everybody is happy as a clam again (well, except for the haters who gonna hate but they're kinda silent this week really). Any of the doomsday prophets want to comment?

Although I think the whole episode was a bit, well... let's say "uneventful" and I was merely smiling than laughing out loud, I still rated it with an 8, because there is still room left for improvement. I preserve my 9's and 10's for the really interesting episodes, when they have some weird challenges in crappy cars, where they can actually unfold their destructive powers and pull pranks on each other again.

What I still miss, is a better interaction in the tent bits. Somehow the studio bits in Top Gear were better and something is missing but I cannot really put my finger onto what it is exactly. Maybe it's just a lack of routine and the fact they still need to find their rhythm.

Astonishingly I don't miss the Stig and lap times at all. I feel that CHM have outgrown such routines and don't need them anymore in their show. The American racing driver feels misplaced and the track is a bit meh (although there have been nice camera angles in the previous episode with the Vulcan). And I still have no idea about the meaning of the Celebrity Brain Crash. It was funny in the first episode and if they would have told in the 2nd episode that they'll have one more go at it (and failed again), it would have made sense. But the way this seems to be drawn out into a routine with James always saying "So he/she's not coming?" (apparently trying to create a running gag), is a bit useless and unfunny. I criticized Evans' Gear for trying too hard to copy Clarkson's Gear and I surely hope the trio will not try to copy their own Top Gear too much now.

Oh and maybe not everyone has noticed but Jeremy said "How hard can it be?". It warmed my heart :D

Last edited:
The Grand Pantour

It's scraps
The canned laughter is even worser than TG
So, the British episode filmed in Italy?
Hammond in a Corvette?
Jameses Roger Moore suit.
I bet this looks fabulous in 4K
A 50k car? Well done Dicky. <_<
Seriously, even in 1080 it looks incredible. The other episodes didn't look this good?
Why didn't he pick the Phantom drophead instead of the budget version?
Panpan!!!
Dickys in double denim, says it all.
The Aston could lose.
Fuck me, the studio segments are like TG series 1.
Celebrity bullshit dropped? Good
Panpan!!!!
Fuck that
Ugh, I thought one episode without comedy was impossible...
Fuck me, now celebrity section. Ugh.
Triple comedy, fucks sake.
Quad comedy?
Hmmm ;)
"That's toast"

Although I realise Hammond was supposed to be in your face with his car, it was overdone and went on too long. Almost to the point of spoiling the whole film. Didn't quite reach there thankfully and it was fun and looked fantastic.

Glad there was no American but the brain crash is not even funny now, once was enough and now is just dragging it out. Didn't care for the car in the tent either but I guess it was just a segway to get JC out of the tent. Remember JC's house from the Peugeot bit on Top Gear, was OK for a few minutes of mindless explosions.

Not sure if it was coincidence, more experience or the British crowd but they looked more at home in the tent this week. Isn't there a Youtube clip of them blowing up a boat in the harbour with pyrotechnics? Obviously wasn't in the episode.

Overall an 8/10, best so far but still room for improvement.

And I still have no idea about the meaning of the Celebrity Brain Crash.

I think I know why.

They needed something to use for the scenery.

One eaten by the tiger, another who fell in the river, it is mostly to look through the windows and show the surrendings of the tent I guess.

Last edited:
I gave it a 9.

They're clearly still finding their footing for the tent/studio bits, which is fine, it's the third episode and a new environment. I had genuine laugh out loud moments with the hellcat's ridiculousness especially in comparison with the other two. Like others, I'm quite over 'celebrity brain crash'... even SIARPC was... *shudder* better... than forcing the gag. It was funny twice, please stop flogging the horse. It's very dead.

Cinematography and sound were excellent like always, at this point its damn near a given. These people know what they're doing. The pacing was good, though the powerboat donuts at the end weren't really a fitting end to the film imo, I can see what they were going for. It made it *just* a little over the top for my taste.

Very good episode... and since I think the only 10 I've ever given out within memory was the 'Senna' TG episode, it's high praise. This is an example of a good one... I wasn't ready for the hour to be over yet, which is a stark difference to the dreadful thing last week.

Not sure if it was coincidence, more experience or the British crowd but they looked more at home in the tent this week. Isn't there a Youtube clip of them blowing up a boat in the harbour with pyrotechnics? Obviously wasn't in the episode.

They shot two episodes in Whitby. Should be next week (or whenever the second Whitby-filmed episode airs).

Much, much better episode, felt like TG at times, though the main GT film felt too long for me- and yes, the Hammond stuff was over-done. Best episode so far though, and that DB11 was gorgeous...

The episode was ok but Richard Hammond ruined it for me. He is always hyper and I feel James is getting a bit left out in the trio. Only Jeremy Clarkson is up to his TG standards.

+1.

RH needs to dial it back a bit and JM could turn it up.