[01x03] December 2nd, 2016

[01x03] December 2nd, 2016

• Total voters
they really are terrible actors. lol

Hammond plays the character of a secret American.
Jeremy is a secret cultured Brit.
and James May is my secret uncle. <3

Better than Ep02 but not as good as Ep01.

Hammond doing donuts in the car & boat was really quite overdone and made the film seem far too long. At least the Jordan film in ep02 was a good "CoD" (or other on-line shooter game) satire in the "do it over & over to accomplish the objective". They could have gone for contrast with a yank muscle car without being so repetitively stupid about it.

Based on what we have seen so far, the humour has definitely taken a turn toward the childish compared to TG.

Last edited:
Better than last week, that's for sure.

Agreed.

Still reserving full judgement but so far?

Episode 1; Opening sequence and most of the studio stuff good*, no comment on the rest.

Episode 2; Pretending it never happened, just a bad dream.

Episode 3; Good, no, very good, and getting there.

*I mean Carol Vorderman in shorts...

A much better episode than last week's big disappointment.

The cinematography during the Italian tour was spectacular and the cars were gorgeous...even the brown Aston :lol: Got really tired of the Hammond bit though. Were they going for so over the top that they wanted viewers to turn it off? I loved the rest but tried my best to ignore Hammond's obnoxious antics.

The few studio bits felt pretty natural (I'm sure it helped they were back home again). The autopilot car was pointless...didn't care for that.

All in all it was my favorite episode and I hope they keep trending in this direction!

Much better than the last one. (As expected; since they've been doing a car-light episode per season, like ep 2, before.)

Still pretty lazy writing; a computer could write these episodes. Hammond doing some irritating thing all the time (previously it was bumping into May). No actual point for the trip. Just driving around on the highway. Every scene basically the same. And for sure, they 'loved' their cars on the end. Even though they didn't do anything interesting with them. They'd probably fall in love with a Reliant Robin if they took it on a trip.

There's is no actual reinventing on GT; it's exactly the same as TG, except for the two things they aren't allowed to do (siarpc, stig), and both have been replaced badly.

Would be great if they added some new blood to the three. Take Bill Bailey, Jo Brand, Rob Brydon, Stephen Fry, Jimmy Car, etc on a trip. It would stir up the three brilliantly.

Much better than the last one. (As expected; since they've been doing a car-light episode per season, like ep 2, before.)

Still pretty lazy writing; a computer could write these episodes. Hammond doing some irritating thing all the time (previously it was bumping into May). No actual point for the trip. Just driving around on the highway. Every scene basically the same. And for sure, they 'loved' their cars on the end. Even though they didn't do anything interesting with them. They'd probably fall in love with a Reliant Robin if they took it on a trip.

There's is no actual reinventing on GT; it's exactly the same as TG, except for the two things they aren't allowed to do (siarpc, stig), and both have been replaced badly.

Would be great if they added some new blood to the three. Take Bill Bailey, Jo Brand, Rob Brydon, Stephen Fry, Jimmy Car, etc on a trip. It would stir up the three brilliantly.

Rob Brydon, Stephen Fry, Jo Brand and James May in the same car.?..Kill me now.? :D

I gave this one a 9 because I enjoyed 90% of it. The 10% I didn't like were the obvious celebrity junk and I wasn't too impressed with the self driving car thing. I also gave it a 9 because hot damn that Hellcat is fucking awesome. I like the Rolls and usually I like Astons, but, that DB11 is actually not something I would like looking at. Brilliant mechanical engineering I'm sure, the looks not so much. I do wish Hammond would of toned it down a notch and not put those stupid stickers to that Hellcat and done a proper Grand Tour like the other two were attempting to do. I will say though I secretly loved him annoying James with all of the Hellcat's noise. I laughed every time and told my wife "you know I'd do that same shit" and she nodded. :D

Best ep yet, but they're still trying too hard. And Richard being the annoying comedic bit grows old very fast - in a matter of seconds, in fact.

Would have been an 8, but for Richard and the VFX fail at the end I have to deduct a total of 2, that makes it a 6/10.

Hamond ruined the episode as he ruined the trip for James! :(

I see than I'm in the minority in finding this episode to be worse than the first two.

7 from me ... they played their characters a little too much. I didn't like annoying Hammond and May being such grumpy old man.

Also: when they gave Hammond an oversized gift I immediately thought: Maybe he will now just smile and put that huge painting into one of his trucks with tyres. That would be clever and would leave Clarkson&May with long noses. That would be cool, that would be something new ... but we got just another many-times-seen scenario.

Also: when they gave Hammond an oversized gift I immediately thought: Maybe he will now just smile and put that huge painting into one of his trucks with tyres. That would be clever and would leave Clarkson&May with long noses. That would be cool, that would be something new ... but we got just another many-times-seen scenario.
Are you kidding me? That would change the holy format of the show! :p

I hope they will understand soon that they don't have to script every other line out of their mouth to be funny. It's just too much for me. Great cinematography, cars were amazing. Rest was not as funny as they were trying to be.

James being annoyed at Hammond and the twitching with the eye didn't really convince me.

I hope they can be themselves again soon.

I see than I'm in the minority in finding this episode to be worse than the first two.

It was not worse! It was equally bad. ;)

Did anyone / everyone notice the autos that they drove into Whitby?

A trio of Jensen Interceptors. Of course, since "The Interceptors" bit is owned by BBC they could not introduce themselves as Jason Clarkson, Roger St. Hammond, and James Steed, but the point was made.....

And is Jezza's footwear silhouette in the "Conversation Street" intro acknowledgement of the "Jennifer" Porsche 918 bet from TG?

I have been thinking about Friday's episode over the last couple days, and while I thought it was a rebound from last week's and I gave it an 8/10 (I think sub consciously I am rating these on its potential to get better). I don't even honestly know if I really liked it that much. Just from a standpoint of 'rewatchability', I have no desire to rewatch any of the episodes so far. Anyone else feel the same way?

Last edited: