Votes: 45 19.6%

Votes: 13 5.7%

Votes: 7 3.0%

Votes: 6 2.6%

Votes: 5 2.2%

Votes: 1 0.4%

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
you guys are 100% correct, that IS on the back of a wrecker. look at how high the car is as well as the crack that was pointed out. shit, you can even hear the chains rattle! i say thats a huge plus for the production team, do whatever it takes! that means they ARE trying their hardest to make a good show IMO. im kinda happy they cheated! lol

Well, you'll recall, many many weeks back, that the preview segment that got everyone so inflamed about how this was going to suck came straight from this episode. Context changes everything, doesn't it?

I suppose you could mark me down as one of the few who *like* Rutledge Wood. Genuine enthusiasm, a personality child-like enough to treat a car like a real person. He's definitely the James May personality, except maybe without the OCD. Adam's definitely playing up the Clarkson aspects of his personality. And Tanner -- well, there's no law that sez you have to act like a hamster, right?

I know a lot of people are saying ditch the BSSC segment in favor of the news, but I'm not so sure.

I myself much prefer the news segment on TGUK to most of the SIARPC stuff, but going back and watching the re-runs, some of them have been absolute gems. The second time Gambon was on is a classic. :)

I know a lot of it has to do with the fact that as an American, I don't know a lot of them, but I am learning!

With TGUSA having to do commercials, not sure what I'd really want them to cut out for a proper news segment. Maybe alternate them? One episode do a proper news, then the next do the BSSC?

Just a thought?

PS...today in the lunch room, Jimmy, a co-worker sat next to me at lunch and just started in:

"Man, I can't believe that caddy got that much air time!"

And I knew exactly what he was talking about! :D

We talked for a good half hour about taking the cars down south, and trying to get 25 gallons of moonshine out without breaking the jars, power sliding old Caddy's and outrunning the cops...all while my boss was watching with a weird look.

I finally told him it was a TV show. :) And then a few others joined in as well. It was great!

But finally! Other people who really love cars, or are just huge car fans, now feel as though they can talk about this and not get "the look". (Other than me)

I left a big stack of my Top Gear Magazine, Car and Driver Magazine, and some of my Road and Track for them to sift through before they give them back to me.

Also, I'll be bringing in more of my old episodes of Top Gear from the previous seasons to show at lunch. So far everyone loves them.

This just shows that deep down where it counts, here in America, we do have the "Passion and the Soul" for a good car. Just show us where they are, and what to look for, and more importantly.....what to drive. :)

Last edited:
Not sure what the haters are on about - i just finished watchin it and thought it was a pretty solid ep.

Its the first time i've literally lol'd several times at a non-UK ep of Top Gear.

Highlights:
- Rutledge taking the first swig of moonshine
- The whole camping out bit - sure it was probably staged, but the anti-health&safety attitude when spitting moonshine in the fire made it fun. Started to show signs of a bit of chemistry between the lads.
- Rutledge & Adam's hi-tech method of telling Tanner when to start the off-road challenge - basically doing the "team america signal" :)
- Adam's little monologue whilst crapping his pants prior to setting off on the offroad course
- and of course, that jump :-D

8/10 from me, better than most of the TG-Aus efforts for mine.

Last edited:
I voted 6. I just don't feel it. The Star segment needs to die, the news segment needs to fill it's place permanently. While I did enjoy the cheap car challenge I didn't feel like these three are gelling together yet. And Foust is so so SO dry, a good driver he is. A presenter he isn't.

I'll wait until this season is over to decide if it is worth my time to completely hault my Sunday's evening to watch.

I suppose you could mark me down as one of the few who *like* Rutledge Wood. Genuine enthusiasm, a personality child-like enough to treat a car like a real person. He's definitely the James May personality, except maybe without the OCD. Adam's definitely playing up the Clarkson aspects of his personality. And Tanner -- well, there's no law that sez you have to act like a hamster, right?

QFT, couldnt have said it better

It was mildly entertaining, but it just reminded me of the something the guys did long ago and guess what check out Top Gear UK series 4 episode 3. The 100 quid car challenge. Although they did Americanized it with the moonshine running angle.

Both the NEWS and BSSC have to stay it's a part of the Top Gear presentaton. The producers need to manage the 42 minutes better. I am glad to see the chemistry between the hosts get better. I can understand that each host appeals to a different group of the audience which is why one group is hating on the host they don't connect with.

The wife and I really enjoyed the episode. The only part we didn't watch was SIRPC (to be fair I almost never watch it in UK TG and never on TG:A). The moonshine challenge was hilarious, pure Top Gear all the way through, the Caddy making that jump was great. The news section was decent, and I enjoyed the banter about the Boss Mustang.

It was better than the more idiotic UK:TG challenges (the tractors, the semi's and especially the RWD challenge).

I gave this show an 8 much better than the first two episodes. I think they finally got more comfortable and it shows. All three hosts did a great job.

I gave it a 9. By the best episode yet. I was lol'ing in the moonshine challenge, it really shows their chemistry together and Adam's jump in the Caddy was epic. Although I wish they would have took the Mustang on the track.

My wife who is not a fan of the UK show, and not much of a car fan in general, watched part of #3 with me. When Ferrera was sitting at the start of his dirt track run and was babbling, "This is the scariest thing I've ever done, etc., etc.," She looked at me and said, "Really? That doesn't look remotely scary and he's in full control of his own car, right? What's the big deal and why is he on this show? Don't they do stuff like this all the time?" I agreed, but my perspective is that I've done stuff like and that's why I didn't find it in the least intimidating. My wife, on the other hand, is the exact opposite: a very calm and safe driver that never goes off the beaten path.

We both also agreed the wrap at the end was overselling the segment. They didn't go on an epic journey. They bought three cars, played Jackass and only one car finished. That's all fun, and I approve of the behavior in general, however, that wrap was written as though they successfully drove across the Sahara in these three beater and all were victorious.

So, the takeaway: this was the first time my wife and I agreed about anything related to Top Gear (UK or otherwise).

My wife who is not a fan of the UK show, and not much of a car fan in general, watched part of #3 with me. When Ferrera was sitting at the start of his dirt track run and was babbling, "This is the scariest thing I've ever done, etc., etc.," She looked at me and said, "Really? That doesn't look remotely scary and he's in full control of his own car, right? What's the big deal and why is he on this show? Don't they do stuff like this all the time?" I agreed, but my perspective is that I've done stuff like and that's why I didn't find it in the least intimidating. My wife, on the other hand, is the exact opposite: a very calm and safe driver that never goes off the beaten path.

We both also agreed the wrap at the end was overselling the segment. They didn't go on an epic journey. They bought three cars, played Jackass and only one car finished. That's all fun, and I approve of the behavior in general, however, that wrap was written as though they successfully drove across the Sahara in these three beater and all were victorious.

So, the takeaway: this was the first time my wife and I agreed about anything related to Top Gear (UK or otherwise).

so, your married to a woman that dont like TG? married?
:motherofgod:

you poor poor man! :p

We were married before Clarkson's Top Gear was re-launched. And, to her massive credit, she lets me make a living producing car videos (and publishing car magazines before that). I think she's a keeper.

We were married before Clarkson's Top Gear was re-launched. And, to her massive credit, she lets me make a living producing car videos (and publishing car magazines before that). I think she's a keeper.

ok, i guess i understand, ;)

I really liked this one. I'm thinking 8/10 (rounding up from 7.5).

Almost all of that thanks to the cheap car challenge, which I found really entertaining.

The studio stuff is still not working for me, though. While I like what Adam does in the segments he has not really lived up to the 'Clarkson in Clarkson's place' role as a leader in the studio so far. It's a tough task but it's rather crucial for improving the studio pieces in the future...

There still isn't a download link up btw, not everyone who'd like to watch it is from the US :p Is someone specific doing the US uploads or is everyone waiting for "someone else" to do it hehe.

*eats crow re: news segment* (Though I still think for there to be one in every episode, the studio filming schedule has to change.)

Anyhoo, definitely the best episode so far. I wish the Boss could've been taken for a lap, but I can live with it not happening.

Meanwhile, I think if any of the trio is going to do the interviewing, it should be Rutledge. I don't think Adam's that great at it.

We all know WHY it sucks.

No. You know why YOU THINK it sucks. Don't presume to speak for anyone else but yourself.

There still isn't a download link up btw, not everyone who'd like to watch it is from the US :p Is someone specific doing the US uploads or is everyone waiting for "someone else" to do it hehe.

Check the TG USA Sticky in the Video Offers section for a version if you are absolutely DYING to see it, but otherwise I'd just wait for the rip :).

As for the show, it appears to be what I always wanted TG Aus to turn out like. That never happened, but this US version is promising. I know some people aren't fond of Tanner, but I think they've got the mix just right. I was worried about Adam Ferraras' role from the previous ep's, but he really shone through this time.

It won't ever be TGUK, but who honestly expected it to be? All I know is each episode has been an improvement on the last. I can't really fault that.

Looking forward to next week :D.