Votes: 45 19.6%

Votes: 13 5.7%

Votes: 7 3.0%

Votes: 6 2.6%

Votes: 5 2.2%

Votes: 1 0.4%

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
The "do it for real, then go back for beauty shots" is the actual approach for races, for example London to Oslo with the SLR vs the boat. James in a blimp was no race, just a segment full of cocking about.

The point is, it's either scripted or faked recreations, but it's OK on TG:UK because, well, it's TG:UK. Heaven forbid they should do anything like that on TG:USA 'cause, well, it's so fake. ;) I have no problem with them doing it. I have a problem with people complaining about it for the new show.

My only complaint about "too obviously scripted" stuff in TGUS is when the presenters are so wooden and obvious that they're taking turns giving memorised lines, rather than being able to speak with a more natural, conversational flow and body language.

I know both series are scripted; the TGUS guys just can't act believably. It's like they're not allowed to be excited or emote about anything along with their lines, and have this whole look of "Ok, my line, now your line" when they talk. It's like watching a rehearsal rather than the actual show.

i wasn't as keen this week. The cheap car segment was OK, but most of the studio stuff fell flat, poor jokes aside, the main problem was the audience interaction, they seemed to be cheering and laughing late, it didn't seem natural.

I don't know which is which yet, but i think that having the race driver in gives it an extra dimension, look at some of the awesome driving in the Evo down the snow covered mountain, that was some great looking footage, that's something that is missing from UK Top Gear. With regards to pro drivers, it's not Top Gear, but Plato and Tiff are pro drivers on Fifth Gear, and they are good presenters.

BTW, can we ever call the presenters by their first name or their surname, not a mix of both, i can't follow the thread when people are talking about what looks like 6 different people.

Taking the Boss around the track would have made this episode perfect.

Even if they don't show the lap, they could put a time on the board plus they could have the video of the lap as an extra on the web site

What was up with calling the bootleg turn a J-turn? Isn't a J-turn a 180 from reverse speed, and continue in the same direction?

Anyway, good episode.

Last edited:
Not bad, the cheap car challenge is actually decent. I was hoping they would've tested the Mustang Boss though.

6/10 for me.

Rutledge needs to be kept away from the voice over mic. And that his in-car mic was dead and they had to dub his in-car only made it worse. It's like raking fingernails across a chalkboard. And he tells crap jokes in the most awkward way I've ever seen. And the in-studio editing is so clunky and obvious. When TG proper shows bits not seen on the program it's usually a surprise to me. The way they cut in studio segments in the UK show is very well done. No so in the US. And the film music... what film music? It's crap that's been recorded while riding in an elevator.

TG US makes me appreciate just how good TG UK is.

Swap Rutledge out for Adam Carolla and bring in the UK editors for a couple weeks to give the yanks some tips. The show quality would increase tenfold. And Tanner better be begging them to keep Rutledge around. Next to Rutledge Tanner comes off like a regular Ted Koppel.

New to the forum. Huge fan of Top Gear UK. Potential Fan of Top Gear America.

I thought this episode was good, but I think I am biased because I'm a sucker for a cheap car challenge. This being a their first one, I think they did a pretty good job. I thought the moonshine run was a good challenge because it gave us a chance to see the hosts not in a scripted setting. I was definitely curious what cars they were gonna get in the cheap car challenges because, as they proved in the Top Gear UK trip through the south, $1000 doesn't buy you a lot of car, and in this episode that was evident. The caddie jump was epic, and for that I gave the episode and 8/10.

I have to say, I'm coming around. The dynamic between the hosts in episode 1 was terrible but with this challenge in episode 3 you really get a better sense of the group.

And I don't think I'm alone in pointing out that TGA has arguably better video post-production quality and creativity than the original; truly stunning work in there. (Of course...America also offers more locations to choose from!)

It was better, but I just can't stop my stupid brain from comparing it to TGUK! :(
I agree, Tanner is a little dry, but that little f-er can drive (see Evo on ski slope)...

I'd recommend not posting spoilers in the public forums.

PS: Thanks for removing, whoever :lol:

Last edited:
Foust needs to go and take his import love affair home with him. Foust is not a regular guy that you can relate too. He is so stuck on himself like most Professional drivers are not all of them. His comments make you want to turn the show off and stop watching. I would like to see more American cars on the show. At first I did not care for Rutledge but now I really like him and he makes the show now. Foust out and Rutledge has to stay. Would probably stop watching if they ever let Rutledge go. Plus Foust being a pro driver ruins the challenges. The guys need to be just regular type guys no Pros. The only professional driver on the show should be the stig it keeps it real in the challenges.

Foust needs to go and take his import love affair home with him.

Swap Clarkson for Foust and "Import Love Affair" for "Aston Martin" and you have TGUK.

All three stooges love their "quintessentially British" cars. It's nice to have Rutledge balanced by Tanner.

All three stooges love their "quintessentially British" cars. It's nice to have Rutledge balanced by Tanner.

And vice versa. And if the other guys beat him, they can rib him unmercifully.

As to the Mustang not being driven, it was an early pre-pruduction example that Ford only sent by to get screen time, and match teh later official unveilings (since it was filmed way in advance of screening). THat one really wasn't rady for prime time. What I love however, is that Ford put the car on the show to get positive PR, and Foust was allowed to get in a couple digs at the car (the compeltelyuselss splitter and the Live axle. While I don't agree with his position on the live axle in the Mustang, it's good to see that they are allowed to criticise a car). Can't wait to see if they give negative marks to a Mercedes in the future... ;)

And vice versa. And if the other guys beat him, they can rib him unmercifully.

As to the Mustang not being driven, it was an early pre-pruduction example that Ford only sent by to get screen time, and match teh later official unveilings (since it was filmed way in advance of screening). THat one really wasn't rady for prime time. What I love however, is that Ford put the car on the show to get positive PR, and Foust was allowed to get in a couple digs at the car (the compeltelyuselss splitter and the Live axle. While I don't agree with his position on the live axle in the Mustang, it's good to see that they are allowed to criticise a car). Can't wait to see if they give negative marks to a Mercedes in the future... ;)

the live axle thing is a good argument for ricer vs muscle. nice to see the roles there