[01x03] March 8th, 2009

[01x03] March 8th, 2009

• Total voters
First one I've watched so far, was actaully pretty good. Liked how they had the balls to make fun of the show that they're basically copying. B3 review was solid. How come whenever they talk about the cost of the cars they do it in american dollars not, what ever currency russia uses?

I found it a bit weaker then Episode 2. SIARPC remains the weakest segment of the show - the guest this week looked so bored I thought he would fall asleep. I also wasn't impressed with the News segment.

I also enjoyed Petrovsky's Alpina B3 review: he acknowledged that it's barely cheaper then an M3 and not as good on a track, but he also noted that for a daily driver in city traffic, it was much more tractable to live with then an M3.

I think this episode is a real improvement over the last couple weeks'. And Petrovsky really proved himself to be the best presenter. His Alpina review was very good. And his jokes during the funeral were actually funny, and he actually gets the cool wall... which is a plus, even if his arguments are shot down.

That was actually watchable. Sadly they seem to miss the idea of the cool wall completely. And most of the news segmesnts are still a joke. Here's the new Gallardo *clap *clap* next car!

First one I've watched so far, was actaully pretty good. Liked how they had the balls to make fun of the show that they're basically copying. B3 review was solid. How come whenever they talk about the cost of the cars they do it in american dollars not, what ever currency russia uses?

Because the rouble is exchanged 1:1 to the dollar. 1 dollar = 1 bucket of roubles. :mrgreen:
No seriously - the dollar is more important than the rouble in russia, at least it was when I was there between 2003 and 2007. If you were buying stuff from private persons, you mostly paid in dollars or euros, since the rouble is a relatively weak currency, maybe that's the reason behind it.

Grr, this episode was nearly unbearable. The Alpina review had no meaning whatsoever, the news is still old news and the GAZ is "the most durable car on the planet"...oh rly?

The Cool wall doesn't make sense because they don't have any proper rules for it (but neither has TGUK, but at least have some basic rules first) and the Mustangs were a bit cliche for me. And it was really weird burying a Maestro. Blow it up for god's sake! That's the point of Top Gear right. If it's shit, beat the shit out of it.

5/10 for me

I must say I also didn't like the Alpina review very much, because I found it very hard to follow his opinion. I constantly felt like he liked it, then he didn't like it, then he preferred it over the 335i, then he didn't, then he preferred it over an M3, then he didn't. It was a bit too chaotic for my liking and without a proper verdict, not as clearly cut as the British boys do it.

Last edited:
The alpina bit was the best thing the episode had to offer. "We Russians are peace loving people." :lol: Sure, why not..

Grr, this episode was nearly unbearable. The Alpina review had no meaning whatsoever, the news is still old news and the GAZ is "the most durable car on the planet"...oh rly?

5/10 for me

Well in contrast to the Hilux which was "gently brushed" with the wrecking ball, they really went to town with that concrete block, so it has shown some durability and toughness, that makes it on par with the Hilux IMHO. And just like original Top Gear, I'm pretty sure they aren't yet done with it. I think I remember some promo clips showing Fomenko driving it on fire, so I do think that test isn't over yet :lol:

Last edited:
Well in contrast to the Hilux which was "gently brushed" with the wrecking ball, they really went to town with that concrete block, so it has shown some durability and toughness, that makes it on par with the Hilux IMHO. And just like original Top Gear, I'm pretty sure they aren't yet done with it. I think I remember some promo clips showing Fomenko driving it on fire, so I do think that test isn't over yet :lol:

Because the rouble is exchanged 1:1 to the dollar. 1 dollar = 1 bucket of roubles. :mrgreen:
No seriously - the dollar is more important than the rouble in russia, at least it was when I was there between 2003 and 2007. If you were buying stuff from private persons, you mostly paid in dollars or euros, since the rouble is a relatively weak currency, maybe that's the reason behind it.

It's more or a reference point, dollar stays relatively stable (though they have been using euros as a comparison lately) while the ruble tends to fluctuate so it is easier to follow. Also alot of Russian channels are broadcast overseas (not sure if you can get Ren TV in the US and EU but there are a few that you can) so it makes it easier for others to follow as well. If you tell me something is worth 50,000 rubles I'm pretty much gonna have no idea how much it really is.

I also have to mention that if in either the Hilux episode or the GAZ episode they pointed the wrecking ball at the front axle and hit it a couple of times the car would not move anymore.
Well in contrast to the Hilux which was "gently brushed" with the wrecking ball, they really went to town with that concrete block, so it has shown some durability and toughness, that makes it on par with the Hilux IMHO. And just like original Top Gear, I'm pretty sure they aren't yet done with it. I think I remember some promo clips showing Fomenko driving it on fire, so I do think that test isn't over yet
IMO it was a very weak part of the show, yes the GAZ 66 is nearly bulletproof but it would really have to be since it is in essence a military truck that, btw, was not available for sale to private parties unlike the Lada. The Hilux on the other hand is something any Joe Schmoe of the street was able to purchase, which is what makes it so special.

Last edited:
linky

Basically, if you have two files in the same folder - an .avi and any common subtitles format such as .ass, .srt - and the file names are exactly the same except for the extensions, any normal video player should load the subs automatically when you open your .avi. Media Player Classic works just fine, I'm sure VLC will do, too.

If you have any issues still, probably better google "[use/load/how to get working] <subtitles extension> in <your media player>". It's not like I'm not willing to explain myself, but all of it has been covered million times on the web, in great detail :)

Ugh. It's bad. It hurts.
BTW.: The road sign babes (ripped from TG UK) is a Danish campaign, not a Dutch. The Russians didn't even copy the UK show right.

Ugh. It's bad. It hurts.
BTW.: The road sign babes (ripped from TG UK) is a Danish campaign, not a Dutch. The Russians didn't even copy the UK show right.

Oh, fuck, our bad. That is a translation error :)

In Russian "Datchane" = Danish, it sounds almost exactly like Dutch in English.

linky

Basically, if you have two files in the same folder - an .avi and any common subtitles format such as .ass, .srt - and the file names are exactly the same except for the extensions, any normal video player should load the subs automatically when you open your .avi. Media Player Classic works just fine, I'm sure VLC will do, too.

If you have any issues still, probably better google "[use/load/how to get working] <subtitles extension> in <your media player>". It's not like I'm not willing to explain myself, but all of it has been covered million times on the web, in great detail :)
That is great, I didn't know where to start from after looking at the link and playing with it, I got it to work in 10 min. Thank you, I speak Russian but this is nice when I don't pick up something.

Ugh. It's bad. It hurts.

Actually it was a fuckup of one of the subtitle writers. The show script was correct.

Edit: yep, MXM beat me to it.

If Top Gear UK was 10/10, I used to give TG Australia 7/10.
After seeing TG Russia, I think i'm going to give TG Australia 5/10, and TG Russia 7/10.

My only disappointment is that I cannot understand Russian. Great Show. Keep it up Top Gear Russia

A Mustang GT with a 4.6 litre V6? I don't think so.

Overall, the show is pretty poor when compared to the British original. Everything seems pointless and the jokes fall flat. But it's pretty interesting to see such an experiment.

The show is actually not that bad. I think the audience completely kills it though. The problem with their jokes (such as the Stig intro) is that they're basically English jokes translated into Russian - which doesn't work that well with the Russian culture/humor style.

They also need to work on their cool wall...when they started working with the audience it was getting better. A

Also, the show seems a bit too scripted, especially with that young guy(forget his name) - you can tell he's reading which kind of kills the whole idea of Top Gear. The thing with Top Gear UK is that they all have their own opinions and they always find flaws in cars, where here it's all written out for them and there is no sense of chemistry between the hosts.

I thought the funeral was an overkill, the idea of it was sort of funny at first, but they just dragged it on for too long.

I think I should start watching it with the subtitles, it seems like it's way better in English :)