[01x04] October 20th, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerFix

Car(s)
Jaguar XKR, BMW E92 M3, MG TF, Riv 4000
I was at the filming of this episode and and the synopsis of this episode is:

1. Challenge: Steve and Charlie, driving a TRD HiLux fitted with a TomTom GPS are pitted against Warren, a Horse, and a bloke called Diesel in a trek through Australia's far north.
  2. News: spot drnick in his FinalGear t-shirt behind the television
  3. "What Were They Thinking?"
  4. Star in a Bog Standard Car: Jack Thompson
  5. Road Test: Steve takes the HSV W427 around Holden's Lang Lang proving grounds and the Stig takes it around the test track
  6. Warren's bit of fluff: Warren challenges Charlie and Steve to a game of Top Gear lawn bowls

The last segment is classic Top Gear :D

hey, i did what i could to get finalgear representation... however, not sure exactly how much of the shirt one will actually see :/

And yea, Warrens segment...gold. Havent laughed so much at a segment of TGA before this one.

What would you guys rate it?

^ based on my voting so far ... which is a work in progress ... I think it will be an 8. The weakest segment is the challenge ... I got a little lost (pun) in who was going where and where the two groups were in relation to each other. The rest was good, particularly the lawn bowls :lol:

^ based on my voting so far ... which is a work in progress ... I think it will be an 8. The weakest segment is the challenge ... I got a little lost (pun) in who was going where and where the two groups were in relation to each other. The rest was good, particularly the lawn bowls :lol:

yea, same here

the thing that bugs me, is that they have ample places in some of these challenges to talk about the car itself (ie, in the holden v ford in 1x02, there was no mention of how much the cars cost, why they chose those two to compare, some stats, some detail about interior quirks & annoyances etc)

In the 1x04 challenge, there were plenty of places where they could talk about stuff like this...would have just made it a bit more complete. Oh, and a map :)

News: spot drnick in his FinalGear t-shirt behind the television

Wow, I'm VERY surprised they allowed him in with a logo on his shirt.

^ Yeah, the dress code was "smart casual. no sponsor logos or branding". Guess the FinalGear logo was subtle enough to not offend. According to the code, I should have been refused as well ... I think my shirt had a little Rodd & Gunn dog embroided on the pocket :eek:.

Actually, entry was pretty lax (coming to think of it) .... one condition of entry was "18 years or over", but there were a couple of kids who were definitely younger than this there.

^ Yeah, the dress code was "smart casual. no sponsor logos or branding". Guess the FinalGear logo was subtle enough to not offend. According to the code, I should have been refused as well ... I think my shirt had a little Rodd & Gunn dog embroided on the pocket :eek:.

Actually, entry was pretty lax (coming to think of it) .... one condition of entry was "18 years or over", but there were a couple of kids who were definitely younger than this there.

Yea it was pretty lax... chances are those on the door have no idea what final gear is :)

having said all this...i hope you can see me! i may be obscured by the television, and there were 2 guys to my left with "i am the stig" shirts which im sure will be visible. I didnt feel comfortable asking if i could swap spots with them :mrgreen:

2 guys to my left with "i am the stig" shirts which im sure will be visible. I didnt feel comfortable asking if i could swap spots with them :mrgreen:

I wonder if the old dude in the beige suit with an ?I Am The Stig? t-shirt underneath the jacket will pop up in 1x04 at all? That was pure class. :D

As for me ... I deliberately dressed like I?d just walked out of a Target catalogue purely because I didn?t know how militant (or not) security would be as far as dress code was concerned. I?m guessing the reason for the ?no sponsor branding? is to stop either Ford/Holden fanboys wearing gang colours or some enterprising self employed people using TGA as a way to get a free plug.

Last edited:
I?m guessing the reason for the ?no sponsor branding? is to stop either Ford/Holden fanboys wearing gang colours or some enterprising self employed people using TGA as a way to get a free plug.

It would be because SBS has a strict product placement policy.

finalgear being the biggest fan site for all gears aound the world, they might have let it slip through some hole to be on tele. we will see it in an hour or so.

looking forward to this episode. Extremely interested in the W427 segment. The first proper review of the car on a proving ground by Steve. If Steve is at least at the level he was at when he tested the Benz Black, then I've got high hopes.

The Lawn Bowls sounds interesting and Charlie at the wheel of a TRD Hilux in the dust lol looks great. Hoping all goes well. And ive noticed the presenters have all started to get a bit smart/cheeky with each other as each episode airs. And the comedy is improving. Nice nice. few more episodes and this will be a faster maturing show than Top Gear UK which took a few series to get really going. All looks good

I'm like the sounds of the bowls segment! They're really doing unique Aussie segments :D

Looking forward to the TRD hilux segment - I had one of Toyota's fleet cars (actually two of them) for a week.
I'm:
a) wondering if it's the same one as I had
b) wondering what they think of it.

The petrol consumption of the thing when i had it... well it was not great! (went thru 3/4 tank in an hour of spirited driving) Went like stink though!! Still think it's the most ridiculous thing putting a 4 litre supercharged V6 in a hilux!

Status
Not open for further replies.