[01x05] December 16th, 2016

[01x05] December 16th, 2016

• Total voters
My opinion:

I rather enjoyed it. Seems like they finally are starting to get their form, even though there still were some bits I'd cut. But overall, it is a great episode - interesting scenery, great cars (4C <3 <3 MX5 <3 <3 <3 Bargain bin KTM X-bow <3) and genuine moments of laughter. I'd probably cut the weighing 5min, since it was both a waste of time and MX5's bodywork, but overall, 8/10.

Of course, some of the self-proclaimed Top Gear purists probably will rag on the car Battleship, but it reminded me of some car fun that James and Richard did in series 5-12, along the lines of caravan Conkers or RC cars. It was a fun filler clip and I genuinely was excited by who would win.

Overall, seems like what I said in the last episode thread is true - that Grand Tour episodes are like Windows versions, with odd numbers being great and even numbered episodes being not so good.

8/10

"Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side"! Spilled my beer on this line laughing

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Yes, there were some bits that could be considered rehashed but they were still different enough to be entertaining. I found myself smiling/laughing through most of the episode.

A point off for reverting to character type at the very end with Richard "believing" the sets were real.

I wish Jermyn would quit using his comedy voice.

I pretty much hate conversation street. They just need to get a big old comfy sofa instead of that desk.

Oh yeah 9/10 for me this week.

I have just finished it and I want to watch it again.

Last edited:
Gents interested in feedback:

This episode was brilliant. I had some harsh criticisms of previous episodes that I stand by, but always sure to give credit when it is due. This episode captured everything that I want from GearndTopour. This episode gave me that american special feeling that I'm always looking for whenever I watch the show these days. Tons of genuinely interesting content along with lots of natural laughs. One common topic that people bring up is the show feeling too scripted at times. I totally understand that you have to script a scene to get humor and jokes across, but sometimes it feels just so much more natural. This episode was one of those times.

Thank you Amazon and thank you TGT staff.

I like that they owned the faking by having a slo-mo in the credits of a car that explodes before another car hits the ground next to it. Would have liked a bit more traveling in Morocco though, not just a few disconnected locations like on TG US. 8/10.

Rewatched it again and was a bit better second time around. Nice location for the the film but they can really drop the "uninvited" one of the 3 turning up bit, that's 3 times in 3 location trips so far. Whole film went on for a bit too long, especially the weighing. Overall, pretty good though.

Brain Crash and the toys/engine stuff afterwards I found pretty boring.

Battleships was what Clarkson said "Total waste of time". Reminded me of the old days and caravan conkers etc, but this one would have been more bearable if it didn?t drag on so long.

I voted 6 last night but would revise that to a 7 after a second viewing.

Last edited:
Best one so far.

Morocco film was beautifully shot, and the comedy bits were actually funny this time. I thought for a second they would ruin it at 50 minutes, with the stupid crap about Hammond believing stuff was real, but they didn't linger on that.

The battleship game was pointless, but still entertaining. Could have been cut a bit shorter, but that wasn't too bad.

Studio bits in the beginning were pretty bad, and of course the celebrity killing is not getting any better.

Solid 8/10 for me. Hope it's a sign of things to come.

Of course, some of the self-proclaimed Top Gear purists probably will rag on the car Battleship, but it reminded me of some car fun that James and Richard did in series 5-12, along the lines of caravan Conkers or RC cars. It was a fun filler clip and I genuinely was excited by who would win.

I liked this episode overall, felt like vintage Top Gear before it blew up into main stream. The battleship portion was almost the same as the RC cars and conkers like you said. I didn't particularly enjoy those segments when they originally aired but I did like this segment better. Even more enjoyable is the fact that they revisited this type of segment which gives me hope that they'll turn back into old Top Gear eventually.

Can someone explain the pass the Dutchie on the left thing? I'm missing a lot of jokes since I'm American.

P.S. just like Top Gear Dog, no one noticed that the American wasn't present this week.

Can someone explain the pass the Dutchie on the left thing? I'm missing a lot of jokes since I'm American.
It is a reference to the weed culture. Pass the joint (Dutchie) to the person on the left of you after smoking.
P.S. just like Top Gear Dog, no one noticed that the American wasn't present this week.
Because there weren't any car tests with timed laps, so naturally, no need for the American to take them around Eboladrome.

Did you hear Clarkson admit it is a car show? At least that is a step in the right direction.

Have not voted yet, I used the show to fall asleep. Might rematch to give it a fair appraisal.

One of the better episodes of this series. However I do miss the Car reviews which, I think, TGT is no longer interested in or maybe the Car manufacturers are not lending them the models for testing. Glad to see James May a bit more relaxed and in his zone. He was cast aside in the previous episodes.

Moroccan Roll is a Phil Collins pun, by the way. It was the title of one of his Brand X jazz-rock albums.

- - - Updated - - -

Otherwise, best episode so far. 59:12 has a continuity error.

The Battleship segment was great, and the Windmills of Your Mind sequence, JESUS YES.

Much better than last two weeks.

Also, there were a couple times in the Morocco thing where it looked like there was some actual risk of injury.

The scales collapsing and the statue, given that Hammond's in a convertible.