[01x05] October 27th, 2008

[01x05] October 27th, 2008

• Total voters

SL65

Ambitious but rubbish!
Car(s)
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5L
Seen it? Lets hear about it!

And if you know the music in it - please post here.

Last edited:
I think I must give it 8 this time high 8 I would say, first ever 8 from my side.
R8 review was very close to just about fantastic.
Finally they mentioned that if someone bothers to look at the track shall go to their website and have a look. Also BMW power lap camera work was much better than the previous ones.

Toorak tractor was a hit and when he drew the cartoon; I couldn?t stop laughing and laughed till I started crying. 10 points to Toorak tractor.
I am not sure if that was an actual accident, but if u look at warren?s face at that very moment, it looked real.

Star in a reasonably price car was a decent session.

Audi boat was a good fun too. But the main part was the craftsmanship. Also bringing the car back to shore and starting the engine. That was great.

Overall an excellent episode.

I'd give it a 7.

Was pretty good....but nothing special.

Was surprised how well the Audi yacht worked though.

Audi R8, meh
Saab v Toorak Tractor:lol:
Audi Boat, cool. TGA vs TG boys, I would love to see them race.
SIBSC wasn't bad, but wasnt great
Charlie, shut your face! Fuck you are loud!

A nice 9 from me.

It's almost like they're reading sites like finalgear and noting the issues people had (eg the track)

I quite enjoyed it

Ep1 6/10
Ep2 7/10
Ep3 6/10
Ep4 9/10
Ep5 6/10 (dangerously close to a 5)

There are about six-billion things wrong with that boat-car segment. I can't even be bothered to list them all. Sorry!

The in-studio bits were dismal with the usual LAME jokes and lines accompanied by Charlie's excessive hand-waving and weird hosting style. The later would need elaborating for another thread.

The R8 review felt bland. Not enough opinions about the car on-road and its equipment levels etc. The burnouts were pointless. I wanna see that thing powersliding like Tiff has and like Jezza has.

I actually hated that Toorak bit. Its like they want people to hate them :blink:

This is probably one of the best episodes, it seems to keep getting better and better.

The Toorak Tractor was epic, simply because of Warren's story about the cat. Although the "Note" left by Warren was great.

The interview with Shannon Noll seemed to be better than other episodes, although I was distracted by a guy in the background laughing at almost everything. o_O

Camerawork on the R8 lap was great, and same with the BMW- At least it didn't ever look like the car was several kilometres away when they filmed it.

I was also glad to see that there was some form of definitive conclusion at the end of each review, it certainly looks like they've been hearing our complaints through.

Gave it an 8.

There are about six-billion things wrong with that boat-car segment. I can't even be bothered to list them all. Sorry!
one of them might be charlie acting as an admiral:)

why charlie look towards the roof when he is at news or with the star. i feel like there is some script there or as if he has nothing else to do.

why charlie look towards the roof when he is at news or with the star. i feel like there is some script there or as if he has nothing else to do.
Don't even get me started on that, it was so bad IMO! He sits back in his chair looking oh-so comfy and in his own world when he looks to the roof and waves his hand about everytime he speaks. He tries to dominate everything. That can't continue to happen.

You rarely see Jezza sitting back in his chair. Only when Richard and James talk about motorbikes :lol: He engages the audience, and engages the guest, because thats what he is suppose to do - he is a HOST.

But I know....comparing Jezza to Charlie is unfair. But TGAU have shot themselves in the foot by making the two programs as identical as they have. I know they have a licence to do so but they have lacked creativity and as a result, comparisons to TGUK are inevitable.

I hope they get rid of Charlie.

if you were asked to neglect charlie, would you lift up your ratings? and how much
Probably up 1-mark I rekon. A better in-studio script would give another on top of that.

TGAU are close to producing something I like. Ep4 was something I loved! I think the best thing about Ep4 was they didn't try too hard. It seemed more relaxed, more natural.

But the other marks seem much more generous. We all have different preferences I guess.

i enjoyed the tractor segment, and the r8 review was decent too

the shows big problem is Cox, honestly he is just awkward, he's one of those people you would see in the street and struggle to hold a conversation with, i'm not sure why they figured he was the best to lead the show. I have warmed to the other two, but he just destroys it for me

Decent episode, but i would still like to see a bit more actual car content.

This isn't TGUK, we don't enjoy the hosts enough to enjoy seeing them have fun doing stupid shit.

Hmm, the improvement curve seems to have flattened out - this seemed a bit of a backwards step.

Saving grace was the tractor segment (predictable, but quite amusing nonetheless)

The R8 piece just seemed to fall flat - up the runway, do a couple of donuts, repeat - I just wondered what the point of it was.

The amphibious Audi struck me as a missed opportunity - plenty of potential in it, but the only part that got any reaction from me was when the car fired up and drove itself up the ramp.

The shooting of the BMW clearly suffered from the on-public-roads-can't-be-too-sporty syndrome that unfortunately the guys are somewhat stuck with on tv here - but that's not their fault. The overuse of the interior engine audio on every exterior shot did get on my nerves though.

But, there's a positive - they're clearly trying to improve the track shooting, and they're getting somewhere with it too. Better shots this week, much less car-in-the-far-distance stuff.

The episode just seemed to be missing something, especially so compared to the past couple of week's efforts. Down to a six this week then.

8/10. Probably one of the best shot episode so far. Both car reviews were great and the Toorak Tractor-ROFL. I feel sorry for the Saab owner, if there was one. The Amphibious challenge-yes it has been there done that with the poms but here it feels more...ambitious doesn't seem to be the word, but close to it. Cocking about maybe? Charlie looked like a prat in the boat.

I feel sorry for the Saab owner, if there was one.
I doubt it. I mean they crushed the entire front end of the car. AND Steve was next to Warren. It don't think they'd of done that if it was a general member of the public.

It just doesn't seem realistic....

I thought this was the most complete episode yet and I agree with Hidden_Hunter ... there were a number of things that made me feel they were responding to the kind of criticism that has been raised on this forum ... explaining the track (the website reference) and some of the corners, and reaching some conclusions with the road tests.

I thought the tests of the R8 and 135i were great. The reason they were testing the R8 on Hamilton Island was obviously related to the Audi Hamilton Island Race (which was explained).

The Toorak Tractor segment was brief but amusing, had a point, and wrecked a car ... what else can you ask for?

I was impressed with the sea worthiness of the Audi Yacht, wondered what the Rear Admiral comment by Steve (towards Charlie) was about and enjoyed watching a Top Gear project actually work (in some small way) ... it obviously wasn't as epic as crossing the Channel in a HiLux .. but it was watchable.

SIABSC is the low light, but I thought Charlie made a much better fist of the interview (although that isn't saying much given his past performances). This Shannon Noll character seemed a pleasant enough fellow, but he is clearly pretty dim and hardly someone you would wish to be trapped in an elevator with ... I'd die of boredom long before the oxygen ran out.

News was good and topical, there was some audience involvement and I think it deserves an 8.

Best episode of the season, by far. I'd give it an 8/10. All the segments seemed to work much better this week... the only bit that was lame was the Audi car/boat. If TG Australia can remain at this level or better then I think it will be a success. And I agree with a previous poster- they do seem to have taken feedback (eg from this site) on board.

I doubt it. I mean they crushed the entire front end of the car. AND Steve was next to Warren. It don't think they'd of done that if it was a general member of the public.

It just doesn't seem realistic....

100% staged. I actually cringed about at how pathetically staged it was.

I think most people have just given up on the show.

Oh and i missed the 135i review, was it any good? I thought i was skipping the SIARPC.

That shows how interesting i find this, i have to go facebook on the breaks ...