[01x05] October 27th, 2008

[01x05] October 27th, 2008

• Total voters
100% staged. I actually cringed about at how pathetically staged it was.

Yeah, it was obviously staged - but who cares, it's not like TG UK don't stage things. The Saab-crush gave me one of the few laughs from this episode.

yeah but made me laugh like hell. only thing that segment lacked was the duration, you know what i think they should have stagged it more, may be two or three SUV's.

I think most people have just given up on the show.

i am wondring who those most people might be. i am sure i am not one of them.

There are about six-billion things wrong with that boat-car segment. I can't even be bothered to list them all. Sorry!

The in-studio bits were dismal with the usual LAME jokes and lines accompanied by Charlie's excessive hand-waving and weird hosting style. The later would need elaborating for another thread.

The R8 review felt bland. Not enough opinions about the car on-road and its equipment levels etc. The burnouts were pointless. I wanna see that thing powersliding like Tiff has and like Jezza has.

Hmm, the improvement curve seems to have flattened out - this seemed a bit of a backwards step.

Saving grace was the tractor segment (predictable, but quite amusing nonetheless)

The R8 piece just seemed to fall flat - up the runway, do a couple of donuts, repeat - I just wondered what the point of it was.

The amphibious Audi struck me as a missed opportunity - plenty of potential in it, but the only part that got any reaction from me was when the car fired up and drove itself up the ramp.

The shooting of the BMW clearly suffered from the on-public-roads-can't-be-too-sporty syndrome that unfortunately the guys are somewhat stuck with on tv here - but that's not their fault. The overuse of the interior engine audio on every exterior shot did get on my nerves though.

But, there's a positive - they're clearly trying to improve the track shooting, and they're getting somewhere with it too. Better shots this week, much less car-in-the-far-distance stuff.

The episode just seemed to be missing something, especially so compared to the past couple of week's efforts. Down to a six this week then.

You two totally read my mind. A big let-down after the improvements we had seen the last two weeks.

6/10.

Finger's crossed for next week. I'm looking forward to the Lux SUV's in the outback:lol:

I dunno ... it was very good in some ways, but slightly disappointing in others.

The Toorak Tractor bit was a classic. Even if the Saab was an obvious plant, it still didn't detract from the hilarity of that piece.

The R8 and 135i pieces were nicely shot had all the right eyecandy, but the 135i film in particular had a whiff of Fifth Gear to it. Pizzati wasn't as good in this as he was in the W427, but he was still very competent. Conclusions were good for a change, and I don't care what anyone says ... the 135i isn't a girls car! I want one.

SIABSC was a surprise packet. Shannon Noll was arguably the best guest of the season thus far ...! A bit of a worry really.

I'm also really encouraged that TGA made reference to the layout of the track being online, as well as the improvement in the camera angles on the track. They're making good progress - looks like the goodwill mission from FinalGear to 1x04 has made a difference heheh ;) I also like how Cox didn't make us listen to another load of laboured Stig jokes during his intro.

The boat bit ... that was a big steaming pile of wtf right there. It seemed pointless as though it was cocking about just for the sake of cocking about. One disappointing aspect about that - indeed, it's the same with all the challenges where the TGA boys have had to 'make' stuff - is that you don't get to see the manufacturing process like you do on TG. That is, unless the boys don't make their own stuff themselves here. :shock: Don't get me wrong, it was a fun distraction, but why? In hindsight, Warren's shark bit from 1x01 would have slotted in a lot better there, and they could have used the extra time created in 1x01 to make the soft-roader piece the film it should have been. But I don't have a spare flux capacitor handy, so I guess we'll never know.

Be that as it may, it was still a nice cohesive episode all up and it seems like some of the criticism levelled at Freehand is clearly being addressed. However, it seems like things went a tad backwards in other ways.

Still worthy of a 7, though.

Last edited:
I think I'm warming to the series, although I couldn't bring myself to sit through an interview with Shannon Noll. I think the locations they travel to are the best part of the show, but this forum reminded me that they have yet to do a real car review and talk about the negative aspects of a car they have in the studio (a sign of the commercial nature of the show).
An aquatic vehicle was nice but seemed a bit derivative of TGUK's efforts.

Last edited:

Blimey. Have a look at some of the TGUK stuff...if that was any more staged it'd have curtains. I'm thinking of May's BMX piece with the CGI'd bikes leaping over the car...or the Parcour piece...or indeed the "Caravanning" sketch where the van burnt down.

If you're gonna be harsh, at least be harsh with a bit of perspective.

i am wondring who those most people might be. i am sure i am not one of them.[/QUOTE]

I am.

I thought the filming and editing was top notch on all accounts, very impressed.

But the presenters are letting it down significantly. They are just so uncharismatic, boring and they don't seem to have very good chemistry with one another.

The Audi R8 review looked spectacular, easily TGUK quality. Unfortunately Cox was about as interesting as Glenn Ridge and that "hand grenade" line which read so well on paper was spoken with such disregard that I almost didn't notice it. By the end he came across as pompous rather than passionate and I could not tell you what his final opinion of the car was.

The BMW 135i was equally spectacular visually, and probably the best segment of the episode. However it was also let down by the presenting to a degree. I don't think it was Pizzati's fault, but they really should have tested the 135i at least partially on the runway because the commentary came across as lifeless and cliche. It was hard to relate to it being worthy of the M-badge when it was puttering around lifelessly - very un-Top Gear like.

Toorak tractor was a waste of time, they obviously received none of the attention they were hoping for so instead opted for a cringe worthy set up of them running into a car. It was like they were scared of actually causing a fuss so the end result was rather uneventful - heck they even had a cop car drive past without so much as a glance.

The Audi H20 was awful, just awful. No other way to describe it. They float around a marina in a car which has been built so well that they actually have to put rocks in it just so they could get the prop underwater. Then they carry on as though something exciting is happening before returning to the boat ramp without so much as wet feet.

I've been very supportive of TGA since the beginning, but this is the first episode that had real promise across all segments and it fell short by miles.

I think there is no substance in the reviews, both 135i and the R8. You can say a lot more and be a little sophisticated in the both Steve and Charlie's delivery would be good. They did not get my attention in the middle of my dinner, and what my daughter doing on the table is funnier.

I think the tractor part is very funny. My wife and I laughed at the reaction at the girls at the outdoor cafe when they crushed the front of the SAAB and wrote (draw) a note about it. :D: Just they have shown a few angle of the Kluger. They should show it to the world. Only USA, NZ and Oz get the Kluger.

R8 - absolutely beautifully shot. That shot of the car with all those sails shimmering in the background was fantastic. It's nice to see the improvements in the way they shot the track too - perhaps they have been reading the comments on this board :)

135i - I would have actually liked to have seen a show of hands of guys who would have bought the car, regardless of its apparent girl car appearance, but otherwise a good segment, and again much improvement on the track shooting.

SIABSC - Wtf is up with Charlie staring at the ceiling? He looked like he was going to fall asleep. It was an okay interview, better than last week's, although I think it's because of the change in guest and not necessarily the host.

Toorak Tractor - Very, very funny! Warren's story about his cat was absolutely hilarious, and the cartoon was a nice touch. Totally unrelated, but I liked Steve's watch.

Audi H2O - For some reason this felt as directionless as the car was in the water. I would have liked to have seen a bit of the actual process of converting the car. I was very impressed though when the engine started up after being in the water.

Overall I gave this a 7/10, which is less than last week's, mainly because the Audi H2O segment which I was really looking forward to failed to live up to expectations. Glad to see the improvement of track filming though. And I'll say it again, please let Warren do SIABSC...

eta: Steve's repeated use of the word 'Grouse' really annoyed me. I've never been irked by the use of ockerisms in TGA, but draw the line at grouse.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why there are 3 separate torrents for this episode, all from finalgear? From what I can tell the torrents are the same file just 3 distinct posts on Mininova. I only ask because my pc tried to download all three at the same time.

6. I wasn't going to bother but..
Was ok to watch but like most people Cox still makes me cringe too much, fake.. sorry man, tell the script writers to P off and make every line your own and lose the frog you got in your thoat, it's got to be 150% you, not 95 and 5% scripts or you sound like someone who doesn't have his heart in it.

Warrens smile in the tractor, his lines done so well makes him the gem, Steve doing "ok" but come down to Warrens level and you'll rock..
Cox got to be let loose, every line is "delivered" and his admiral thing is exactly the point, why is he "better" when he's the least natural, if it's a Jeremy "I'm always the best" then drop it cause Jeremy lets you know he's faking it while with Cox you get the feeling he really thinks he's the man which makes him more cringe factor.
Seen Jeremy put a lit (porsche) pipe in his mouth backwards and burn himself, that's fake and all but Cox is to Pompous (borrowed that from Metallix sorry mate you got the right word there).

Highlights? Audi driving up, Steve and Warren chatting (tractor) without Cox, R8 nice car.
Lows? Shannon, voices on the reviews don't grab you, you sit there watching this car and catch little phrases that mean nothing at all trying to figure out what you like about the car rather than take the reviewers words for it.

Boat thing was obviously a cheaper one only copy of the UK show but SBS ain't got the cash, but again no proper ending bar the driving on the ramp, it didn't have a story, it wasn't a race it wasn't three guys pitted against..
Next weeks 3 off roaders will be a test, probably more no real out come more just hooning about :-/

I'll keep watching for a few more weeks to see where it goes, wish SBS could afford to let them rip in to cars a bit more :-D

315, don't know if it was mentioned by Steve but it's SO got the looks of the Z4, it's like a bigger brother of that rather than a little M3.

the sIARPC thing I killed, Shannon is a pretend fake wannabe star, pushed to 2nd by Mark Holden when Cosimo got dumped and votes rigged, the guy can't sing, every song "live" is off key and most hits are rip offs that he kills. Guy was the star but he wouldn't let people run over him and as for Cosimo she had more balls than mole anyday.

Last edited:
And they're back to going in the wrong direction, 5/10.

Charlie is still annoying, it's like he's unsure about what he wants the character to be and won't be himself because of it. Warren makes me cringe every time he opens his mouth, STOP TRYING TO BE JAMES MAY!!!! Just because you're top gear doesn't mean you need "a clarkson a hammond and a may". It's like they stole an old may script that got left on the floor and just reused it.

Both reviews sucked as usual, they sounded like they worked for Audi/BMW. Again no flaws with the cars apparently, best things ever built, perfect in every way. Grow some balls guys, when you only cater to the companies it makes your review seem weak.

Enough with the what were they thinking board, it's funny every now and than but not every week. It's already played out and it's week 5.

The tractor was just stupid. Nothing else can describe it, not funny and horribly staged.

The Audi boat was a huge waste of time, not only did they rip off may but they tried to act like they somehow had some sort of original idea. And what the hell was the point? They floated around for a few minutes than turned around? Talk about boring and pointless. Nothing funny happened, nothing interesting happened, and nothing original happened. Than again, that is a reoccurring theme for this show.

Gave it a 6 like I usually do. Not an improvement from last week but unlike some people I don't think it was a step backwards. I liked the tractor thing very much and enjoyed the rest, appart from the SIBEC, that was so boring I almost fell asleep

Not as good as last week, better than the first 3.

The 2 completely different sets of camera angles for the 2 power laps was a bit confusing, but at least it shows they're trying things.

I think it's finding its groove. Next week will be interesting though - there'll be a direct comparison with the new series of TGUK. In my household, they'll probably be scheduled back to back - I feel like I should watch TGA first, otherwise I might be really down on it.

Very enjoyable ep. 8 from me.

R8 camera work I recon was superior to the TGuk version, and I love donuts!

135 v M3 could have been improved a little just by editing in some more M3 V8 roar.

Toorak tractor, yes! I want to do this and crush every stupid freaking SUV into the tarmac as well.

SIABSC needs work... only complaint, the guest seem to make more of an effort than CC to keep it entertaining, think they should give Steve or Warren a shot at the interview tbh.

I liked the episode, my wife and I didnt drift off to the kitchen during this one. But..

the 2 car reviewers...

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/10/27/JohnFarnham.jpg

and

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/10/27/SCRAT.jpg

had no light and shade in their voices, no passion (as someone posted before )

Charlie mustve done radio work or voiceovers because he has zero presence on camera.
There arent many hosts like him around because they cant find the wood.:D

Shannon Noll came across as gormless and maybe thats why Charlie was looking at the ceiling. ??

Toorak segment was too parochial, too Melbourne. Staged, but I liked Steve giggling.

Warren,
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/10/27/CHOPPER.jpg

has the warmest most appealing voice of the 3 of them.

The boat segment missed the boat,

1/. Shouldve made it an open top submarine to begin with !

2/. Shouldve shown the construction phase and let the guys display their personalities.(as someone else said)
3/. Shouldve got a bit of bling going with an Admirals hat for John Farnham or First Fleet prison clothes for the crew.
4/. Maybe actually done something with the boat itself, anything, rather than do a circle and return.
5/. Shouldve capsized the thing , swim to shore, get towed out into the bay by a jetski, get rescued by the Coast Guard, climb the mast as the boat sinks, freaked out about sharks, floated about on li-los or abandoned ship with Kiddies arm floats on...
So many opportunities available.
So many opportunities lost on a potentially hilarious segment that needed to reach the greatest heights of slapstick and mayhem to over shadow when the TGUK did the same skit.
What were they thinking !

Overall a 7 from us, camera work was the highlight. It'll need to improve or we will be some of 'those people' who'll give up watching.

If they ever want someone to replace Captain Cardboard, give me a call.

Last edited:
There was such potential in this episode as people have mentioned.

Being Australian, one of the main aims we have in life as a nation is to beat England at most things they created.

They've almost got this stubborn ignorance of the show in the UK, which is a bit stupid, considering they copied the entire studio.

That Audi H20 bit could of EASILY been a gauntlet to JC, RH and JM that Aussies can build an amphibious car that isn't rubbish, all they needed to do was see if they could replicate the English Channel crossing and it would of been bloody epic.

But as with lot of the segments, its half baked, if they can't make segments last the full mile, don't try them, review another car perhaps? I've been genuinely impressed with some of the reviews, particularly Steve's.

6/10.

R8: Camera work was OK with the donuts, but I think an improvement would have been if CC had attempted to do something everyday with the R8. Like, for example, load up for a tailgate party.

WWTTB: well the first car listed was presented exactly right. The Ford Aspire was stretching it a bit too much.

News: very bland, but that's just the way the car market in Oz is, I suppose.

BMW 135: the problem with that segment is, I don't think the 1-series has the history in Oz as it does in Europe. We know how hideous the 1-series hatchback is, and if they'd mentioned that in WWTT, then segued into the 1-series coupe review, then they might have gone somewhere. They also might have tried to bring in either the original M-1 (the BMW wedge supercar) or its concept descendant for comparison purposes.

The H2O: I agree that there should have been *some* acknowledgement of James May's Herald yacht. Something on the order of "Can three drunken Aussies build a better sailing car than James May?" would probably have held the segment better than entering a sailing race and failing completely.