[01x05] October 27th, 2008

[01x05] October 27th, 2008

• Total voters
- I like the What Were They Thinking board in terms of the fact that it's their own spin on the tradition of TG car boards, but I think having it regularly *every* week is a bit overkill (after all the Cool Wall is what, twice a series or something, and other boards pop up and go down randomly in TG UK). So it's good, but it needs to be varied up.

Agreed - I really like the concept, but having it every week, with each presenter getting to contribute their own choice is overkill (the audience chanting the name is a bit cringe-worthy too).

Cox had been tolerable up till last night. I think it's like a ticking clock, once I started looking for the excessive hand gestures I noticed them all the time but it never bothered me in the other episodes.

Maybe he fancies himself as a Parkinson -style of interviewer?
I +1 Icedvovo's comment about KENNY being more TG than TG is.

There just doesn't seem to be any point to most of the segments. They should never have touched amphibious cars because TG did that so well (twice!) they were just setting themselves up to fail.

That H2O bit might have been another of the contractual obligations they had to do ?
Pity no-one from the production company has joined in here.

I think its mighty obvious now that in Series 2 they will have to introduce new people to the show, give them small walk-on parts and if the public warms to them , then they can start to clear out the dead wood like Cox.
Maybe bring in a tech-head or a mechanic or someone who loves cars ?

In section 5 of SBS' Code of Practice.

It clearly states that "matter, for which SBS receives consideration in cash or in kind, which draws the attention of the public, or a segment thereof, to a product, service, person, organisation or line of conduct in a manner calculated to promote or oppose, directly or indirectly, that product, service, person, organisation or line of conduct" is considered advertising. That would include any product placement for which SBS recieves money or benefit.

Mmmmkay.

So, do the car companies 'lend' TopGear the cars that appear on the show (including incidental damage and tyre wear) or do TopGear 'hire' the cars from the companies and pay for the damage?

If they don't pay the car companies then that's surely 'in kind' benefit. And THAT'S a loophole you could drive an Audi A8 through.

They don't announce before each segment who supplied the car and how they were paid for, nor do the car companies get a credit at the end.

Under this system, if Toyota supplied a couple of Klugers as 'Extras' or 'Crew Vehicles' they wouldn't need to disclose their involvement.

It's a huge can of worms IMHO.

:)

something is wrong with the "wwtt" board concept. It just feels too forced.

The problem with the WWTT board is that when they came up with the idea, nobody seems to have thought to consoder whether it includes the same elements that make the Cool Wall popular. The Cool Wall is so good because of the conflict over where the cars should go and the audience participation in deciding how cool the cars are. The WWTT board involves no conflict between the presenters. It doesn't have different sections that could lead to debate and it doesn't involve the audience (except for chanting the name). I would rather see a "Stroke of Genius" board where a quirky car is chosen and the hosts (with audience imput) have to decide whether it was a stroke of genius or an act of insanity.

So, do the car companies 'lend' TopGear the cars that appear on the show (including incidental damage and tyre wear) or do TopGear 'hire' the cars from the companies and pay for the damage?

If they don't pay the car companies then that's surely 'in kind' benefit. And THAT'S a loophole you could drive an Audi A8 through.

Okay now you're being ridiculous.:rolleyes:

They get the cars lent to them like every other car show on the planet but it isn't advertising unless the car companies get some imput into how their cars are portrayed/reviewed, which they don't.

Okay now you're being ridiculous.:rolleyes:
They get the cars lent to them like every other car show on the planet but it isn't advertising unless the car companies get some imput into how their cars are portrayed/reviewed, which they don't.

See, I disagree. The provision of 'vehicle props' has a significant value, and they certainly don't lend them to TopGear without expecting 'something' back for the effort.

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Ever. And especially when the car company ends up with a hefty bill for damage or tyres.

And guess which car company budget that would come from? PR and Marketing.

They get the cars lent to them like every other car show on the planet but it isn't advertising unless the car companies get some imput into how their cars are portrayed/reviewed,...

With there being a limited number of luxury cars companies around, I would think,
and so would most people,
that if a car co. loaned you a brand new 100K or 250K dollar cars,
that there would be some inference, albeit unspoken,
that you wouldnt say their car is crap.

So advertising contract/ written input or not,
its surely understood that a crap review is unlikey to get the TG team another new Audi ever again.

which they don't.

How can you be certain of this ? Do you know someone who works for the company? Or SBS ?
Otherwise you know no more than we do .

Or does anyone else agree with Stiggie and think that TG get expensive cars without an unspoken but clearly implied understanding.

Last edited:
See, I disagree. The provision of 'vehicle props' has a significant value, and they certainly don't lend them to TopGear without expecting 'something' back for the effort.

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Ever. And especially when the car company ends up with a hefty bill for damage or tyres.

They do expect something in return. They expect their car to be reviewed on national television. But they don't get any say in whether it is positively or negatively reviewed. And I happen to know that Nissan did contact TGA about paying for the damage to the ute's tailgate in the mining story only to be told that the value of a review on national television is higher than the cost of one tailgate. Yet you'll notice that the Nissan Navara was not shown in a very positive light in that segment.

Last edited:
With there being a limited number of luxury cars companies around, I would think,
and so would most people,
that if a car co. loaned you a brand new 100K or 250K dollar cars,
that there would be some inference, albeit unspoken,
that you wouldnt say my car is crap.

So advertising contract/ written input or not,
its surely understood that a crap review is unlikey to get the TG team another new Audi or VW etc..

If you really believe that STIG_mata then you can't trust an car show, magazine or newspaper review ever.

They do expect something in return. They expect their car to be reviewed on national television. But they don't get any say in whether it is positively or nagtively reviewed.

And every minute of that TV exposure has a definable dollar value. Audi were on screen for longer than all the traditional advertisers in ad breaks combined.

If I were Castrol and Shannons I'd be pretty pissed off if Audi got all that for free. It doesn't make commercial sense.

And curiously, not one car has been completely bagged yet to my knowledge.

;)

6/10. Everything felt so bland and boring, it wasn't even funny. The R8 review basically consisted of 5 or so minutes of "practical super ka" and "logical...". The only sort of funny bit was the tractor and the Saab, and thats it. I completely disagreed with the 135i review too which is kind of what I expected. ZHopefully next weeks episode will be better.

And every minute of that TV exposure has a definable dollar value. Audi were on screen for longer than all the traditional advertisers in ad breaks combined.

And if TGA ever starts asking for those dollars in return for good reviews then we'll have a problem.

If I were Castrol and Shannons I'd be pretty pissed off if Audi got all that for free. It doesn't make commercial sense.

All what for free? An R8 review. You can't call the sailboat thing a plug for Audi, it was an old car and they didn't even mention what model it was let alone anything else about it. That is like saying that James May's Herald sailboat was a plug for Triumph.:lol:

And curiously, not one car has been completely bagged yet to my knowledge.

Warren completely bagged the BMW X6. Also, I don't recall anything good being said about the Proton Jumbuck.

If you really believe that STIG_mata then you can't trust an car show, magazine or newspaper review ever.

Yes, thats exactly what I think... and so would most people, that is, any form of media is constantly reliant upon the advertising dollar and largesse from companies and individuals. None of the shows, mags or papers can afford to buy their own cars for such a short period, therefore they learn to play ball with the manufacturers.
Its not so much as I dont trust the shows or mags but I understand how they need to perform their business in a manner of interdependance and cooperation in order to continue.

The shows get a free car to borrow, the companies get air/ page time and a favourable review. .

Last edited:
And if TGA ever starts asking for those dollars in return for good reviews then we'll have a problem.

I think they already have a conflict of interest. I think whole concept could start to unravel. I wouldn't be too pleased if I was buying time in the traditional ad breaks.

All what for free? An R8 review. You can't call the sailboat thing a plug for Audi, it was an old car and they didn't even mention what model it was let alone anything else about it.

Wake up and smell the branding.

It was a major exercise in branding, the fact that you didn't notice it doesn't matter. They extolled three of Audi's core brand values.

The A8 showed the obvious sporting nature. The Audi boat demonstrated Audi's durability and reliability, regardless of model. Everyone remembers how unsinkable it was, and the fact they drove it up the ramp. Plus they mentioned they were there for an Audi-sponsored yacht race, which pointed to prestige. None of these would be by accident, believe ME.

Warren completely bagged the BMW X6. Also, I don't recall anything good being said about the Proton Jumbuck.

God and everyone has bagged the X6. Warren wasn't breaking any ground there. And Warren also liked the Jumbuck, plus he conveniently forgot to mention it's major flaw; the requirement for a diet of Premium Unleaded.

And don't forget who provides the SIABSC?

The shows get a free car to borrow, the companies get air/ page time and a favourable review.

You do realise that every car show, publication and website are loaned cars by the manufacturers? Yes, even Top Gear UK - yet they still manage to generate unfavourable reviews.

Oh, and what's up with the coloured text in your posts? All it's doing is making your posts really hard to read...