[01x05] October 27th, 2008

[01x05] October 27th, 2008

• Total voters
I think they already have a conflict of interest. I think whole concept could start to unravel. I wouldn't be too pleased if I was buying time in the traditional ad breaks.

Wake up and smell the branding.

It was a major exercise in branding, the fact that you didn't notice it doesn't matter. They extolled three of Audi's core brand values.

The A8 showed the obvious sporting nature. The Audi boat demonstrated Audi's durability and reliability, regardless of model. Everyone remembers how unsinkable it was, and the fact they drove it up the ramp. Plus they mentioned they were there for an Audi-sponsored yacht race, which pointed to prestige. None of these would be by accident, believe ME.

Why do I never learn not to argue with conspiracy theorists. I have friends who think the moon-landing never took place and I managed to learn that there is no point trying to argue with them and there crackpot theories.

Okay, your right. There you go. You'll get no more argument from me. TopGear Australia is nothing but an ingenius plot by Toyota and Volkswagen to increase sales of Toyota, Lexus and Audi through subliminal messages and product placement. I strongly recommend that anyone who wishes to continue watching the show take some basic precautions such as wearing a tin-foil hat to block Toyota's market-research mind-reading beam and avoid driving past Audi dealerships to protect against exposure to their CIA developed brain-washing ray. You know what, we should all go out and buy BMWs just to prove to VW, Toyota and SBS that it isn't working.

Solidarity!

Fight Audi!!
Vive Le Resistance!!!
file.php

Now if you will excuse me, I have a strongly worded letter to write to SBS about their insidious advertising techniques and I have to cut all the words out of magazines so that it can't be traced back to me.<_<

You do realise that every car show, publication and website are loaned cars by the manufacturers? Yes, even Top Gear UK - yet they still manage to generate unfavourable reviews.

I think delicate balance is upheld on TGUK because the show isn't commercially funded. Therefore, the 'gentlemen's agreement' they have with the car makers isn't sullied by any other, more formal advertising contracts in the mix (ie: ad breaks).

And it's this 'impurity' in the system, the blend of 'formal' and 'informal' advertising that may ultimately bring TGA undone.

We'll see.

I think delicate balance is upheld on TGUK because the show isn't commercially funded. Therefore, the 'gentlemen's agreement' they have with the car makers isn't sullied by any other, more formal advertising contracts in the mix (ie: ad breaks).

And it's this 'impurity' in the system, the blend of 'formal' and 'informal' advertising that may ultimately bring TGA undone.

We'll see.

Icedvovo, if youre right about the UK show not being commercially funded, then that would explain why they can speak their mind without fear or favour. I didnt know that.
But it would also explain why TGAU has no teeth.

fbc, thanks for the tip about coloured type being hard to read, it was just to make it easier to distinguish 'response' from 'quote'.

Stiggie, I watch the show to be entertained like everyone else, but I really dont take their reviews seriously.

Last edited:
Gave it an 8 for most of the reasons others have thus far!

Not sure if anyone has commented on this yet, with the star in the bog standard car segmants. Charlie is very ordinary with his interview skills, and especially in this episode the amount of times he looks up to the roof made me suspect they have cue cards or something for him. I hadn't really noticed it in past episodes, but watch it again (if you can bare the pain of him) it is stupid. After every question he looks up...

Gave it a 6, and I've figured out why.

It's just Charlie. He sucks. Charlie Cox. There's a low brow joke there too.

The cinematography this ep was pretty much on the ball the entire time... ok the track stuff still needs to be improved a lot more... had to laugh when Steve said "if you want to know what this track actually looks like, visit the website...", I'd rather them have a consistent multi camera setup where I could see some of the track.

Point is, visually, it is all cool. The Toorak tractor thing with Steve and Warren was actually quite funny, though I would have liked to seen a bit more mayhem, and the yacht challenge was pretty cool too. Nice to see them add a bilge too... if only the UK boys had thought of that one! Steve's 135i review was his best work thus far too. Warren's joke about the Germans was a nice hat doff in the direction of Mr May.

So what sucked? The Audi R8 review, Star-in-Car and every other time Charlie opened his f**king mouth. Clearly the guys write their own scripts, which is why Steve and Warren sound like humans and Charlie sounds like Eminem writing a column for Wheels magazine. It sounds so forced and unnatural - kinda like a used car salesman going through a midlife crisis, then auditions for the local street theatre troupe in the hope of living his teenage dream of becoming an actor. In parts, it is absolutely unbearable. I skipped through most of Shannon Noll's interview, not because he was boring, but because Charlie is THAT BAD an interviewer.

Finally, I don't think Charlie's that much chop behind the wheel either. He had an R8 and a whole runway to himself, but the only thing he could do was drive up to one end and do some doughnuts aka "now this is FUN!" Yeah, maybe if you're a bogan in a supermarket carpark. Where's the drifting and high speed cornering?

I see two options:

1) Charles - download Top Gear from Season 3 to Season 10 then watch every episode until you understand how Clarkson interviews his celebs and sets up intros and outros. Notice how it's hilarious and gets to the point, yet doesn't sound overly scripted or even clever - just natural? Then practise - a lot. Don't allow yourself to be filmed on camera until you get it right.

2) Better idea - Charlie is "killed off", much like black Stig... TGA attempts to hot up a Kingswood wagon with "NOS" so it will reach 160kph on the deck of a visiting US aircraft carrier (just did a quick check, our Navy doesn't have one anymore) then brake in time before the runway runs out. Which of course won't happen because of the 1970s drum brake technology. Then SBS can spend Charlie's salary on some new cameras so they can shoot the track stuff properly.

And then everyone's happy! Seriously, I think I'm onto something here....

Last edited:
i agree, i have no time for cox anymore, he's the one bad thing in this show. He does need to go.

Unless SBS throws Cox overboard, series 2 will just be more of the same. And nobody wants that. Especially SBS! The ratings are a disaster.

If they replace him with somebody with genuine passion, intelligent humour, a lot less ego and some decent interviewing skills, then the show could really start going somewhere worthwhile.

Unless SBS throws Cox overboard, series 2 will just be more of the same. And nobody wants that. Especially SBS! The ratings are a disaster.

If they replace him with somebody with genuine passion, intelligent humour, a lot less ego and some decent interviewing skills, then the show could really start going somewhere worthwhile.
he's a decent guy, he just doesn't interest me to listen too, and its really awkward when you can see the 'stars' arn't actually enjoying talking to him at all.

He also gets to do all the big reviews, and obviously doesn't know enough about a car to give any sort of real critical analysis.

VOTE 1 - HIDDEN_HUNTER FOR TOP GEAR AU

:D

he's a decent guy, he just doesn't interest me to listen too, and its really awkward when you can see the 'stars' arn't actually enjoying talking to him at all.

He also gets to do all the big reviews, and obviously doesn't know enough about a car to give any sort of real critical analysis.

absolutely right. hopefully he hadn't already signed on for a second series. time to put this donkey to pasture.

There are about six-billion things wrong with that boat-car segment. I can't even be bothered to list them all. Sorry!
QUOTE]

ill give it a go for ya... either the hosts didnt build the boat or the build was bat shit boring they didnt put any of it in the show either way im not counting it as a plus for the host till they prove they built it or had the same amount of input as the uk guys, at least they show clarkson taking to the car with a power tool or two and usually they all plan there car boats as well with the aus one we just saw a closed shed door then a carboat came out :S

also they were obviosly never goin to make it into the race as if they wouldnt make sure they made it if they could instead of pretending they were trying they shoudl just setup some challenges for themselves along the lines of the race or something instead of dicking about for 5 mins.

and ye the general actions of the guy in the boat were pretty questionable specially the jokes :S

the only saving point for that article was putting the rocks in the back to get the thing to go that was good thinking on thier part.

I actually hated that Toorak bit. Its like they want people to hate them :blink:
that was the point wasnt it they were trying to point out how useless big SUVs are in the city buy turning up in something even the SUV drivers would hate

VOTE 1 - HIDDEN_HUNTER FOR TOP GEAR AU

:D

Dont let your heresy be heard on the 'Disney' TG Forum !!

I'll vote for you, if only to change the Melbourne-centric hosts,personality,styling, language, locations, setups.

EDIT: Oh bugger ! youre from Melbourne too !
But you must have more life in you than the 3 guys they've got now ??

Last edited:
Didn't really like this ep. The R8 review was boring, it's just driving from one end of the runway to another. The 135i review was pretty good, I kinda agree with Steve, the M3 has gotten to big and heavy, they need a smaller and more cheaper performance car.

The tractor segment was pointless, and so was the amphibious car. Overall, maybe 6/10.

Yay, amphibious cars ^^. Although I thought that it might've been better (as someone else has said), if they cut out the Star in a something-priced Car, they'd have more time to do features, and it wouldn't seem so hurried.

Just a little something, but did anybody notice that Daniel Craig had popped by?

http://img133.imageshack.**/img133/1540/vlcsnap6436704yu0.png
Okay, okay, maybe not :D