[01x05] October 27th, 2008

[01x05] October 27th, 2008

• Total voters
just finished watching this episode and without reading any previous comments I will say what I think :p
that tractor crash part was so scripped that even those two women sitting in the cafe were scripped, but maybe I am wrong :D

bmw test looked good, much better than audi R8 with still annoying Charlie...
the track still sucks, how hard can it be to place the fucking cammeras ...
and that cones dont fit the track at all, how are they supposed to cut the corners?

and when are they going to change their accents? :p

hahah what!!! this is the first aussie version i have watched and i was completely thrown by the identical intro, and even the studio. it just looks like someone cut out JC hammond and may and pasted three aussies in there!

this is no bad thing mind, it means i need no time to get my head round a new format and means the production values will be solid, which they seem to be.

the dude with the tash on his face is a little hilarious looking... i did a little burst of laughter when i seen his face. and the beardy guy.... bit camp.

Last edited:
With all the anti-Cox sentiment in this thread, it could be an opportunity to get some perspective ...

I don't want to see more of the ordinary audition submissions. I'd like to see the other good ones that were seriously considered in the final round.

You can't argue that Charlie is "good" just because a lot of the ones posted on YouTube weren't either. That's like saying it's crap, but it could be worse.

... which was the point I was trying to make. Funny that.

I'm in the same boat as Bolly, I didnt understand what TONE76 meant with the other UTUBE vids.
Did you mean the current guys are better than these losers, I didnt get a clear understanding from your post. ( But thats not new for me.)

After watching the videos, I thought.....theyre an arse full of crap too.
Even lamer than the dudes we got now.

Lots of "I know cars" and I'm a ' real car guy' shit, but what about the ability to be more than 2 dimensional ??
Geez theres a lot of BORING car experts out there !!!
BORING guys with BORING numbers and BORING ratios and BORING production numbers.

Whoo Hoo, you're the king at reading out loud what I can read on the internet !!

Would you want to spend 4 days in a mine with these knobs ??

Forget about the car specs, I can get that from a manual. D"UH !!!

the 1st rule of TV is to be entertaining. And not in a Home and Away idiot manner either.

Pull the finger out,
go for broke and
if someone gets hurt , pray its not you because cars are lifeless, massively expensive, environmentally ruinous, lethal blobs and they need people to bring life and fun to them. Thats what the show is about, life and fun .... and in a bigger view its what the car selling business is all about.
If youre not bringing life and fun to the show, then go back to your day job at ALDI because I can watch Brady Bunch re-runs and get more fun out of that.

But if you truly want to get serious about specs and serious spec-talk, go start a car-blog on Google and bore your friends to death and leave TG-TV alone.

However if you really want to enthuse people about any car, or anything, then grab their attention. BALLS and all, or go home because its a tough gig these days in life , the showroom or on screen.

If the AU show focussed on 'just the cars', had irrelevant and car-centric, lame presenters who were resistant to any opportunity at being entertaining, it would be clear because the public would respond with ...

a massive weekly drop in ratings
vilification in the motoring press,
as well as forums,
and be generally ignored in the popular press because of its minimal impact.

Oh SHIT, thats what we've got NOW.

Last edited:
... is arrrrr, the offer you made there still on the table tone?? :grin:

Got it on ice. Figured I might need it just in case Cox gets the arse and they need someone to fill in at short notice. :p

I think it's actually getting worse. Get rid of Charlie Cox dammit! Even Kyle Sandilands would've been better, at least he can make funny criticisms.

Kyle Sandilands

AAAGGGHHHHH NOOOO

I think in this case it's a matter of 'could be worse, could be Kyle Sandilands hosting it'.

Top Gear Australia is officially in some trouble - only 70, 000 tuned in the other week, and SBS are saying they can't afford to keep the series running. They've even called on the BBC to help with some funding.

The Audi R8 review ran for only 4 minutes, and that's not enough to get any sort of detail in. I know it's wrong to compare, but at least in TG they make some comment about the engine (size; torque; power etc) and the chassis, but all we seem to get on TGA is just a Cox "What does it feel like?" thing.
Show needs less Cox... pun intended.

5/10

Top Gear Australia is officially in some trouble - only 70, 000 tuned in the other week, and SBS are saying they can't afford to keep the series running. They've even called on the BBC to help with some funding.
5/10

I'd be interested to know where this information came from too. Even though the ratings haven't been too flash, the audience number you've 'quoted' is highly inaccurate according to the ratings figures published this week in the press. There's also no news anywhere on the internet that I can find suggesting SBS have made any such statement about not being able to afford to keep the show going.

What's you source for this statement? Please let us all know.

1. The ratings figures for last week's episode were 435,000

2. Series 2 has already been approved and pre-production work may have even commenced.

3. It doesn't cost SBS money to "keep the series running" because their advertising income from the show for series 1 is estimated ro be about the same as the production costs.

4. As BBC Worldwide are part owners of Freehand Productions, who make the show, I wouldn't be surprised if they do contribute to the funding. :rolleyes:

Well, just for fun, I have read the criticism about the show before watching it. So now I get to see just who is on the money and who I can align my criticisms with from now on. It's got a higher rating generally than the others...
So here goes..