[01x06] December 23, 2016

[01x06] December 23, 2016

• Total voters
Yup that was ridiculous. I love ice cream and I'm not gay. STUPID comment.

Most of the UK papers have picked up on that. Probably play worse in the US.

Kimi prank was pathetic too.

Shame that the show is overshadowed again by its ability to be offensive for no good reason, especially considering this is a show kids want to watch.

It was a "joke" that just wasn't funny. Since everyone's pretty much admitted it's all scripted, I don't understand why the writers aren't catching any of the hate. All Hammond did was read the line, however ridiculous it was.

The issue about why stuff hasn't changed is because everything's already filmed. You'll most likely only see changes next season.

The issue about why stuff hasn't changed is because everything's already filmed. You'll most likely only see changes next season.

I see I am not the only one here who thinks with a rational mind.

Complaining about the same stuff week after week, knowing very well that it WON'T CHANGE in this season, is kinda idiotic.

Complaining about the same stuff week after week, knowing very well that it WON'T CHANGE in this season, is kinda idiotic.

I agree but I also think it was somewhat foolish on their part that every segment was filmed so far in advance and they had no option to adjust as the season progressed. I know certain segments had to be done at certain times but not everything. Did they really sit in the editing room and watch every episode with the American and brain crash bits etc and think "well this is pure gold?" ...cause it isn't.

but anyways, I digress.

I was slightly disappointed with this episode until May's film came on. I thought it was simply outstanding and one of my all time favorite films of theirs (not counting road trips and challenges, just the specific car review/history pieces).

- The Hammond/Clarkson Mustang/Focus bit was alright but I do hope they will stop doing the 'unannounced' arrival of one member during every segment.
- The Christmas stuff went on far too long and was just crass for the sake of being crass...I had to force myself not to fast forward.
- Hammond's joke about the ice cream was pretty bad. I'm no PC police, but I thought it was very distasteful (when Clarkson gives a look of 'you may have gone too far with that one' you know you went too far).
- The American and Brain Crash bits...no comment

Was probably going for a 5/10 until May's bit...gave it a 7 (7.5 if I could give half points)

Last edited:

There's not a great deal that an be done with the location filming, apart from in the editing room and voiceovers. I can't remember how many tent filmings they've done in advance, but that can be changed and tweaked if they want.

Does anybody else think that some of the shots in the tents, the hosts are lit too much? Like the shading is almost washing out some of their faces. It seems especially with Jeremy.

That's how it works. If we don't complain, how would they know we don't like it? They would get to the conclusion we only disliked ep 2 and loved every line of the other eps. We complain on things we don't like. Idiotic right?

Not that they need to listen to us, it's their show. But this forum is here to voice are opinions. That's how a public forum works. It's not the fanclub of CHM.

No but it's like complaining about the weather: You cannot change it, no matter how often and hard you complain. The weather will simply ignore you.

And in case you haven't noticed: The Grand Tour is a major success, so from their perspective there is no need to change things in a rush.

Those who still haven't gotten warm with it should try thinking of something better to do with their lifetime than watching a show they know they won't like anyway.

And that is my opinion I am voicing now ;)

No but it's like complaining about the weather: You cannot change it, no matter how often and hard you complain. The weather will simply ignore you.

And in case you haven't noticed: The Grand Tour is a major success, so from their perspective there is no need to change things in a rush.

Those who still haven't gotten warm with it should try thinking of something better to do with their lifetime than watching a show they know they won't like anyway.

The weather doesn't rely on subscriptions and numbers to justify its existence, shows like the Grand Tour do very much.

While I would agree that the Grand Tour is a success so far, no-one really knows because there are no numbers to check, looking at IMDB or Amazon Video ratings is not a measure of overall success or failure.

Evans Gear showed that complaints do work and if people vote with their wallets especially, it very much will change. I don't think the GT crew are silly enough to ignore constructive criticism as the show is a new venture and this series is still an experiment to see what works and what doesn't.

- The Christmas stuff went on far too long and was just crass for the sake of being crass...I had to force myself not to fast forward.
- Hammond's joke about the ice cream was pretty bad. I'm no PC police, but I thought it was very distasteful (when Clarkson gives a look of 'you may have gone too far with that one' you know you went too far).

Agreed with both of those. The crass innuendo when it was on TG was just at the right level of subtlety, whereas these are being cued up and you can see them coming from miles away. I was going to say it's being forced down your throat but I would have been undermining myself.

Also with Hammond's ice cream line... it reminded me immediately of his stupid rant about Mexicans... it was just weird. If something is really funny, perhaps a joke turned in on itself (i.e. the presenter making himself look deliberately stupid) then anything can be forgiven, almost. But it has to be funny. That just wasn't. He shouldn't trust himself with that kind of humour.

So can someone tell me, what is the point of the travelling tent from a televisual perspective? Seeing a small portion of the country in question out of the windows in the backdrop doesn't seem to be sufficient justification? I assumed that the point was that they would do a segment on the car culture of each place they visit. But that's not been the case.

Still, 8/10, largely because of May's GT segment at the end. They're clearly still working out what works and what doesn't.

Your highly defensive opinion? Jeremy is a perfectionist (or atleast claims to be). If he or a large majority of us thinked that something particularly sucked during this season, don't be surprised if they change it for the next season. It is obviously not ideal to film everything in advance before it is aired, but that's just the way it works.

All I'm saying is not to expect them to jump through a loop just because the fans demand so.

The ice cream quip with its blunt delivery would've been fine if left alone but then it got dragged on by Clarkson and Hammond was stuck awkwardly squirming making it mood killing comedy road kill.

They obviously need more scripted material to avoid this in the future. :p

I think the ice cream joke was meant to make Hammond look silly, but there's a difference between a stupid opinion and incomprehensible one. There's no reason to associate ice cream with gayness--why would anyone make that association?
The condoms were definitely saucier than TG--having them arrive after the sweaters was probably a mistake--you need more spacing between smutty material or viewers start getting uncomfortable. The other Christmas gifts didn't quite deliver on the anarchy they promised--Clarkson barely moved on those boots.
I was hoping Celebrity Brain Crash would have involved a reindeer goring the guest.
Not sure why people are complaining about one of the stars crashing the other's party, because it seems to be part of the show's concept--when any member embarks on a grand tour, he's inveitably joined by one or both of his colleagues.
A problem with the American is that his jokes play in complete silence, which feels weird after the liveliness of the studio audience.
James's GT films was indeed as great as everyone says it is, and shows the crew shouldn't be afraid of doing more historical material. A CHM history of motoring would be lovely to behold.

I hate container docks more than I hate Hammond.
Ostrich boots looks cool.
Ugh, I hate the studio soo much.
I love James, but what is the point of him on this show?
Line-lock is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.
It's like Canadian Top Gear.
The gift guide is like series 2
Fuck me, can I turn this off??? It's such utter shite.
Seriously, I'm glad I steal this.
It can't get worse? Then Bob Geldof appears...
Panpan!!!
James saves the episode, just about...

This is something that I will never understand.

Top Gear, Lost, Supernatural, Dr Who, The walking dead, The Sopranos, etc...

All of those show have people that don't like things and write it on a forum. That's okay, everything is not perfect and a forum is the place to write about it.

This is fine.

But all of those forums have people that claim that everything on the show is shit, that they will never watch it again, this is their last time and so on... But a few years after those people are still watching every week saying the same thing over and over.

It's like the guy who hates is wife and says it to everybody but he is still with her after 30-50 years...:lol: