[01x06] December 26th, 2010

• Total voters

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Whoops, I forgot to make a thread.

Not as good as last week's, but still good in my book.

After being disappointed by the Top Gear UK Middle Eastern special, I was hoping for more from TG US, however it was also disappointing.

100 miles is not my idea of an "epic race", though I imagine the superboat and seaplane likely have pretty severe endurance limits compared to the car and that had to be taken into effect. And on the plus side, it's nothing something TGUK has done (at least in terms of the direct format - I know RH and JM used a high-speed boat in the Norway race and a Cessna 182 in the Turin to London race).

For the record, I was entertained, but they've done better in that area.

Show just keeps surprising me.
Despite them all having a "seen that before" quality about them I just keep enjoying each one more and more.
It seems weird to say this is the best or not as good as....only being 6 episodes in.
It is a very solid episode, not great, not bad, just solidly enjoyable. Hope this is kind of the standard norm for when it isn't epic.

i really liked tanners morgan review. It makes top gear uk go into some context - how unbiassed they are with their cars - . He also was a very interesting and daring, also they were at the top gear test track, i wished they had an eastern egg such as clarkson hidden somewhere

This episodes shows the true difference between the UK and the US. Tanner crosses the pond to drive a Morgan. Am I the only one to notice the higher production values on that segment. On the bumpy English country roads, there were no camera shake from the in-car camera. The picture was clearly sharper and most of all Tanner script was better written. You got the impression the actually knew what he was talking about. The race was stupid. Why would you do a race where two-thirds of the contestants can't operate the machine. Are the producers on our side of the pond that STUPID? Clearly they could copied a challenge that required the host to actually operate the vehicle.

Not their worst episode, but fell short of their potential.

The Morgan ? this review confused me. I guess they figure their viewers haven?t seen this on top gear before. Isn?t there a small US custom car company they could do a story on instead though?

BSSC ? My only comment is that instead bashing of prius all the time (easy target), get three and race them. I?ve had a prius up to 101 mph, so it can be done (and that was up hill). Maybe have a contest to see who can get the worst miles per gallon?

Not too much to say about the race ? it was what it was. I still don?t like the test track. They should use laguna seca.

I didn't mind this one. The Morgan review was pretty good and I enjoyed Tanners little rips on the Brits. It was interesting to see those same roads being used, as I've seen them in many other TopGear UK and Fifth Gear episodes in the past. Felt more at home, but it's obvious TopGear UK has a massively higher budget than the US version. The production values are still very far apart.

The BSSC felt a bit better, but still kinda forced.

The "Epic" race was alright, I enjoyed the scenery. My biggest complain with that segment was that usually the guys not using a car avoid using a car at any point, but when it came to the end of the race, Tanner was on a little motorcycle. Isn't that against the rules on the UK version?

Why would you do a race where two-thirds of the contestants can't operate the machine.
They've done that on the UK version too, you know. Kinda hard to operate a train, ferry, bus, etc.

I like the show, it was pretty good entertainment. With that said, Tanner would have clearly won the race. Jones Boatyard is no more than 30 minutes away from Watson Island in heavy traffic.
Yet it showed him in a taxi on South Beach and said that Adam had been driving for about 2 hours before he even got to the seaplane base. Maybe, Tanner stopped for lunch before getting on the plane.

Not too bad, especially given the 'rerun' of the race. Still enjoyed it, 7/10. Actually look forward to the next 2 episodes more than this last one though.

Surprisingly after watching two 70 min+ TGUK shows, this episode didn't feel unnecesarrily padded and I actually preferred it over last weeks episode. Tanner showed he can be a solid car reviewer as well. News could have been slightly longer...

Car Review > News > Challenge > Star > Challenge Pt 2. Sounds good to me :p.

TomCat said:
My biggest complain with that segment was that usually the guys not using a car avoid using a car at any point, but when it came to the end of the race, Tanner was on a little motorcycle. Isn't that against the rules on the UK version?
Fair point. It kinda corrupted the actual result by not meeting in a place where they could all just run to.

Im sorry but Americans are pathetic.... They cant come up with their own ideas not even for the first season which is so lousy. The egg test, the water, the racing against the sky diver. Like seriously first season and they dont have any sought of individuality of its own throughout the season. The hosts are useless one is a child, the other a nerd and the last sounds like a new york italian gangsta. You cant beat UK Top gear and I hope this series only lasts the one season. Though knowing the fat cat americans and their massive spending spree they will keep it for god knows how long. The UK hosts are well educated book writers, television presenters and general media professionals. The US hosts belong on farms or in restaurants.

I liked the episode. Enjoyed the review and the challenge. I liked when Tanner called Adam metrosexual during the challenge lol

I hope this series only lasts the one season

I hope not. This so far seems to me like the best TopGear knock off yet.

Last edited:
Am I sensing a riff between the TGUSA and the TGUK shows? TGUK was over in the US for their "Blue Ridge Parkway/NY" episode, yet never met (on camera) with the TGUS team. Then Tanner goes over to the UK, and not only do they not get together with the TGUK people, they don't even use their track to test the Morgan. It seems that it would have been a natural thing to do, but no.

Not a bad episode, overall, but I think they missed an opportunity. They got together with TGAUS, why not TGUSA?

Im sorry but Americans are pathetic.... They cant come up with their own ideas not even for the first season which is so lousy. The egg test, the water, the racing against the sky diver. Like seriously first season and they dont have any sought of individuality of its own throughout the season. The hosts are useless one is a child, the other a nerd and the last sounds like a new york italian gangsta. You cant beat UK Top gear and I hope this series only lasts the one season. Though knowing the fat cat americans and their massive spending spree they will keep it for god knows how long. The UK hosts are well educated book writers, television presenters and general media professionals. The US hosts belong on farms or in restaurants.
Not read much on here have you? Its the Brits who are not coming up with new ideas. TGUS has the same producers and most of the same writers. Bascially they are using some old ideas, saves some money/time and can be used as a test for US ratings.

As much as most dislike Foust, he's hardly a child and I'm sure could drive circles around you. Rut is more of redneck than nerd. Can't speak to Adam's side jobs, but is of Italian decent and grew up/lives in NY.

I won't go deeper, troll.

Last edited:
Am I sensing a riff between the TGUSA and the TGUK shows? TGUK was over in the US for their "Blue Ridge Parkway/NY" episode, yet never met (on camera) with the TGUS team. Then Tanner goes over to the UK, and not only do they not get together with the TGUK people, they don't even use their track to test the Morgan. It seems that it would have been a natural thing to do, but no.

Not a bad episode, overall, but I think they missed an opportunity. They got together with TGAUS, why not TGUSA?
Must have been missed timing or something. Both were in the same city (Wilkesboro, NC) for different episodes.

my favorite episode so far :)

6/10

Adam just didnt do it for me. Tanner is starting to get old to me but Rut is still the man! just not my fav epp so far. was very lame. next week will/should be better.

An American that can pronounce ALUMINIUM correctly top Man.;)
Though he should have really stuck it to the English Clarkson never holds back.
I did really like the Morgan bit.
No comment on the rest of the show.

Niall

i think its too early for most of the newer fans for them to do that. im fairly confident that in time we will see a 3 way "epic" challenge between the three main shows but just not yet. i know the hardcore fans would really love to see it happen but its a ways away.

on thing i forgot to say before was that they used the word "epic race" and i just dont think they should have. i think those are the 1 hour long films across continents and not some "normal" race from miami to the keys