[01x06] December 26th, 2010

[01x06] December 26th, 2010

• Total voters
Am I sensing a riff between the TGUSA and the TGUK shows?

To my knowledge and someone correct me if I am wrong. There has never been a meeting between the Top Gear hosts of the different shows.

Last edited:
Im sorry but Americans are pathetic.... They cant come up with their own ideas not even for the first season which is so lousy. The egg test, the water, the racing against the sky diver. Like seriously first season and they dont have any sought of individuality of its own throughout the season. The hosts are useless one is a child, the other a nerd and the last sounds like a new york italian gangsta. You cant beat UK Top gear and I hope this series only lasts the one season. Though knowing the fat cat americans and their massive spending spree they will keep it for god knows how long. The UK hosts are well educated book writers, television presenters and general media professionals. The US hosts belong on farms or in restaurants.

which is why they aren't trying to.

you know, you should read your post from this point of view and see how poorly misinformed you really sound. it's almost "troll-like"? i think you belong on a farm or restaurants.

i have to say, this show keeps getting better with each episode. even the earlier series of the current Top Gear UK format wasn't this good. i couldn't wait to watch the rerun of this episode last night.

To my knowledge and someone correct me if I am wrong. There has never been a meeting between the Top Gear hosts of the different shows.
I know UK and Germany have had challenges, believe UK went to Austrailia as well.

I actually enjoyed Tanner's review of the Morgan. Not the best, felt a bit motorweek-ish but it felt more realistic and less forced.

Not on TV. The producers at the showings did claim that the UK hosts have had their hands in making the US series directly, even being state side to help out.

@biggie, Thanks that was the episode where they flew in using the Spitfires. I remember that now.

Im sorry but Americans are pathetic.... They cant come up with their own ideas not even for the first season which is so lousy. The egg test, the water, the racing against the sky diver. Like seriously first season and they dont have any sought of individuality of its own throughout the season. The hosts are useless one is a child, the other a nerd and the last sounds like a new york italian gangsta. You cant beat UK Top gear and I hope this series only lasts the one season. Though knowing the fat cat americans and their massive spending spree they will keep it for god knows how long. The UK hosts are well educated book writers, television presenters and general media professionals. The US hosts belong on farms or in restaurants.
:idiot::thumbsdown::hammer:

TROLL!

Nice review of the Morgan, but there wasn't a "YES!" moment such as we had in the previous episode when the boys took the Roadmaster back to GM.

The Morgan review is good, even though I've seen the TGUK review before, this is for an audience that probably haven't seen the original, so it's ok. Same thing for the race.

Actually that was Top Gear vs DMotor. I went back and looked at the episode.

Also Top Gear Australia Season 3 Ashes Special - the Australian hosts come to England and meet up with Richard, Jeremy and James for a couple of challenges as well as doing their own thing.

I like the show, it was pretty good entertainment. With that said, Tanner would have clearly won the race. Jones Boatyard is no more than 30 minutes away from Watson Island in heavy traffic.
Yet it showed him in a taxi on South Beach and said that Adam had been driving for about 2 hours before he even got to the seaplane base. Maybe, Tanner stopped for lunch before getting on the plane.

Yes, obviously the race was faked. Tanner dive bombs the boat twice and just misses out from winning by a touch? And of course he could've touched the marker when he rode up, he didn't have to take the time to put up the stand.

Whenever Adam introduces the other hosts, he always sounds like he's showing off Ruttledge Wood when he says his name...like he's expecting an "OoooOOOOoooohhh!!" from the audience.

TG Australia will be in a race with the TGUK boys in season 16. It's the same race as on TGAUS (two cars welded together, one of them upside down), but from the TGUK-perspective.

Now regarding TGUS 01x06. It was good! I'm glad I didn't give up even though the previous episodes have been quite crap, for various reasons. They're still far from TGUK though. Tanner Faust is easily the most likeable of the bunch. He brings a lot of actual knowledge of cars and how to make them go fast, which is great. Still not to fond of the fattie though and the italian is just ok. The show seems to work better when they don't include old American POS cars, though most Americans will probably disagree for nationalistic or nostalgic reasons. The news didn't include much news so that was kinda crap, but the chemistry is working slightly better than before. The interview could have been a lot better as Michelle was really forward and ready to have fun. Trashing the Prius complete with the audience booing was in place now, good! They didn't bash it or even boo in ep2 when Dominic Monaghan said he has an '05 Prius. They're shitty cars and not even especially environmentally friendly. The interior is crap and I wouldn't want one if you threw it at me so they deserve all the trash talk you can throw at it.

Anyways, I'm actually looking forward to the next episode now, which is a first. Good job.

The Morgan review is good, even though I've seen the TGUK review before, this is for an audience that probably haven't seen the original, so it's ok. Same thing for the race.

yea, you bring up a good point that i would like to cover for the 1200th time. this show is directed at people who have never seen TG before for the most part so when people get "offended" or "annoyed" by the fact that they are doing the same stunts and races and reviwes, well your just being ignorant. its not the fact that they DID the same exact race, its if they did it good or not. you bet your ass they are going to do the same shit. "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

Slipped just a notch from last week but still solid. 7/10.

Just my own opinion, but I hope NBC regrets their decision of chucking the show before giving it a chance.
I see a lot of potential in this show whereas I can't find many redeeming qualities with current NBC programming.

I know UK and Germany have had challenges, believe UK went to Austrailia as well.

Actually, Oz went to the UK. Some parts of this will be shown in the current UK series, but it has been shown in Oz

Took a while to get a copy of this. I actually enjoyed it - I though the UK christmas special seemed a bit forced and this looked quite good in comparison.

The Morgan review was good - it really showed it isn't a track car, but a cruising car. It does look like something a gangster would drive. What I found a little disappointing (and this is only a minor gripe) with this is Tanner - everything he delivers is kind of a monotone. "Oh I shouldn't be doing this..." delivered deadpan like he does doesn't give you the feeling of danger at all.

I enjoyed the race - its closest UK moment was the race in the old Ferrari??? to monaco (without Jeremy) vs the speed boat. I think Tanner's taxi had to get 'lost' otherwise he wins easily. I agree with the criticism re the ending of the race in that they shouldn't need to go 1-3 miles 'on foot' to the finish. It would make more sense to end at "some random bar" in key west to where all three modes of transport could come close.

Last minor criticism - SIARPC is always a bit of a let down when the guest says "I've never driven stick shift before".

Anyway, I enjoyed this more than last week, so voted 8.

Last edited:
7/10 for me.

Still not a fan of Rutledge. He's just not built for TV.

Tanner was weak doing the voice over for the Evora lap; just a total void of emotion or interest. Tanner needs to be shown some JC power lap voice overs. He doesn't need to mimic JC's over-the-top "in the world" style, but just get a feel for how to make the lap sound interesting. For example there was a shot about halfway through the lap where the Evora was slipping sideways coming out of a turn. JC would have pointed that out and emphasized that Stig was running the Evora on the "ragged edge". Tanner didn't say a word.

I did enjoy the race to Key West. It wasn't on the same level of a TG UK race, but I think editing and music are a big part in TGUK's epic races. The faux-Miami Vice theme with a few notes slightly different to get around copyright issues added a sense of cheapness to the production quality of the film. They can fix some of these problems by investing more money for better music and the editors/producers going to school at TGUK for a month or two and learn how they do it.

The chemistry among the hosts, which is the most important element of any TG show, is noticeably improved. I think TGUS will be able to stand toe-to-toe with TGUK by the time TGUS enters season 3 (assuming the finally pay real money for some music rights and film editor's school).

Best part of the race....

Cop walking up to Adam's window,
"You were doing 75 plus right by me. I warned the crew when I came up on the bridge 10 minutes ago for no one to speed on the bridge."

If only the handcuffs had been out.....

It would make more sense to end at "some random bar" in key west to where all three modes of transport could come close.

I understand this sentiment, but the people who make it missed the point. It wasn't a race to Key West, it was a race to the most southern point of the US.