[01x06] November 3rd, 2008

[01x06] November 3rd, 2008

• Total voters
They need to stop yelling things out for the WWTH board, its cringe worthy.

Pretty bland segment really, i didn't mind the SL63 clip, the 4WD challenge didn't really interest me.

Cox was hopeless during the interview again, he actually had his hand on his head at one point, it is absurd.

The camera work is definitely top notch, so is the production values, i don't even mind the other 2 presenters, sorry its just Cox for me.

Oh dear. Hate to be a curmudgeon, but I gave it a 6/10.

Nothing happened. They just drove the cars. There was NO drama. NO story.

Okay, for the sake of support I'll try to be positive, so here's the bits I liked.

that was my problem too! Charlie tried to make the story sound interesting during the intervals, but once again, it was pretty bland as a whole, about as bland as 3 days on straight roads in central australia gets. That clip kind of finished with me going "okkk... why did you just show us that". It certaintly wasn't entertaining, and they didn't have much conclusion on the cars either. That seems to be the theme of the show.

I didn't really enjoy today's TGUK clip too much either, but it goes to show, the presenters make it so much more interesting. I would put the quality of the ideas of both shows about on par today, but the UK presenters just came through so much better.

Not that i have any issues with warren, he seems alright actually. The guest whoever he was could have qualified as a host! He was doing the interview himself.

I agree with everything that has been written so far in this thread ... even the contradictory opinions (if there are any).

They took more time with the 4WD trip and they reached a conclusion :yes: ... but they could've spent a little more time talking about their vehicles. Warren quietly taking a dump in the background was funnier than anything on the most recent TGUK (which I watched just before this).

The filming of the SL-63 "test" was lovely ... and why not take it through a few tunnels ... there are plenty here in Sydney and it's difficult to avoid them.

The camera work on the track went back-wards from last week .... I think they should get a new track, where they can set up the cameras properly and not worry about a Cessna hitting a gantry.

James Morrison was great ... Charlie's interviewing skills weren't.

WWTT seems to be running out of steam .... Steve didn't even touch on the problem with the Lotus Elan II (that is ... front-wheel-drive).

News was OK ... but I feel they need to make their points more clearly and succinctly (they made a bit of a feast of the Barina not having ABS as standard).

Overall, I think it was a very satisfactory episode and actually enjoyed watching it more than the Michael Bay production of Top Gear 12e01.

Another thing that occurred to me as I was popping out to grab some dinner just then ... that is the first episode of TGA that I would actually sit down and watch again. I mean, properly watch again.

Granted, a decent ukulele will set you back a few hundred bucks, but surely they couldn't buy a $25 POS and do it? I WANT UKE CARNAGE. But I digress.
That was a $25 uke I reckon.

Steve didn't even touch on the problem with the Lotus Elan II (that is ... front-wheel-drive).
Steve mentioned it in one of the takes he did, but for some reason he didn't in the one they ended up using. Also, am I the only one who liked Warren's rant?

mitchtj said:
They need to stop yelling things out for the WWTH board, its cringe worthy.
You should try shouting it while in the audience, it's actually very therapeutic!

I think this was the greatest episode so far. Cox gave his best review, James Morrison was a refreshing change from the usual boring guests and the 4WD film was the most cohesive and entertaining TGA roadtrip/challenge to date.

9/10 (with the best TGUK episodes being a 10, by comparison)

Also, posting this nugget of brilliance for posterity (from the pre-ep thread):

LP400 said:
This show is degenerating, getting worse, failing to improve, each week. Another 4WD piece. Woeful, hate it, wish it was fantastic. Will be acquiring Episode One of the lastest TOP GEAR series (there is only one) online. Wake up everyone and stop being be manipulated, for corporate profit, that this Australian piece of shit is anything but a cheap copy. Shame!

GerFix;822805 News was OK ... but I feel they need to make their points more clearly and succinctly (they made a bit of a feast of the Barina not having ABS as standard). Overall said:
don't speak badly of tguk, i expressed similar views to that in the official thread and got badly neg repped for it

and isnt the biggest problem with the barina its lack of structural rigidity? It gets 1 star in every safety test as far as i know

Does everyone think maybe we are abit less critical of this show because its ours?

I still enjoy watching it. I would even more so if it had more aussie cars in it

How relevant is a 400 grand mercedes to most of us?

Does everyone think maybe we are abit less critical of this show because its ours?

I think people are being less critical because it's still new - but I know that I for one am cutting it less and less slack each week. Fortunately with the exception of last week's episode, each week has been an improvement.

I still enjoy watching it. I would even more so if it had more aussie cars in it

There's only so many Commodore vs Falcon comparisons they can do (or that the fans want). It's Top Gear - it's not all about being relevant. If you're looking for relevant the RACV RoyalAuto magazine is a superb *cough* read.

how is any car on top gear uk relevant to us????? :?:?:?

i thought this was the best ep of the series so far

8/10

get rid of wwtt - the only thing they didnt take from the uk version - and is the worst part of the au version

all we need now is a big cheap car challage and i'll be satisfied with season 1

hope we see something bigger next season though

As opposed to the countless Ferraris's, porsches, Lamborghini's, Aston Martins, Koenigseggs, Rolls Royces, Bentleys etc that appear on the UK version. You want cars relevant to you watch the car show (shudders).

EDIT: beaten to it.

Also, posting this nugget of brilliance for posterity (from the pre-ep thread):

This show is degenerating, getting worse, failing to improve, each week. Another 4WD piece. Woeful, hate it, wish it was fantastic. Will be acquiring Episode One of the lastest TOP GEAR series (there is only one) online. Wake up everyone and stop being be manipulated, for corporate profit, that this Australian piece of shit is anything but a cheap copy. Shame!

I didn't know that Glenn Ridge was a member here.:|

I was embarrassed this week for giving it a 6/10, because I really wanted to support a local production. But I refuse to 'wish it good'.

If we're honest, it's a turd rolled in glitter. Nicely shot and edited fresh air.

I really want to like it, but so far the only thing worth liking is Warren Brown. And he can't carry the creative burden on his own.

I was attempting to be humorous, SL65. :|
I know, I know, but I couldn't help but speak of LP400. Makes a mods job hell when you got people who can't wait until the episodes finished to discuss it.

Now I'm really offended. Glenn Ridge! FFS. OK my post was a little harsh. Upon reflection there is only ONE significant thing wrong with the show: what comes out of the presenter's mouths. It makes my ears hurt and I have to turn the sound off, which kind of defeats 50% of the purpose of television.