[01x06] November 3rd, 2008

[01x06] November 3rd, 2008

• Total voters
Upon reflection there is only ONE significant thing wrong with the show: what comes out of the presenter's mouths. It makes my ears hurt and I have to turn the sound off, which kind of defeats 50% of the purpose of television.
Fair enough. You should have just said that instead of saying you hate it without any reason.

Oh and what does it being Australian got anything to do with it? You mention how its an "Australian piece of shit" in your other post. I would've thought an Aussie piece of shit is the same as an Italian one or an American one.

don't speak badly of tguk, i expressed similar views to that in the official thread and got badly neg repped for it

I know it is tempting fate ... but if one can't express a benign opinion here without being anonymously slapped ... I'll probably just piss off.

and isnt the biggest problem with the barina its lack of structural rigidity? It gets 1 star in every safety test as far as i know

Dunno. I think the biggest problem is it's an Asian sourced Holden ... rubbish wrapped in a cynical cloak of patriotism. With the Barina, Viva, and Epica, Holden is really serving us up the dregs. :(

You are a moderator and are calling me an idiot? Take a long hard look at yourself.
Yeh that was mean. I take that back. I'm sorry.

You are not an idiot.

Just frustrates to read the same shit week in week out. People make hearty, passionate statements like yourself and don't gives reasons why they say what they say. Think their opinion is worth 11ty times that of other peoples.

At least you've now explained what you meant by it all.

I'd still like to see them put up a little map of the track in the corner of the screen during the laps.

I'd still like to see them put up a little map of the track in the corner of the screen during the laps.
I recall UKTG having full on-board telemetry coupled with a live map of the track and the cars positioning on it. It seems too anal for UKTG to have now, which is probably why they don't. But it might be a worth addition to AusTG...

I thought tonight's hung together really well...let's face it, it's a tough crowd in here, but I do sense that games are being lifted at TGAU HQ...I bet everybody there wants this to work, and it's a tough ask to come in with a brand new team and a fraction of the budget to play catchup with the beeb version...and it's not as if TGUK hasn't occasionally dropped a whiffy one...perfect they ain't.

Maybe it's time to encourage the aus version with some constructive criticism?

I recall UKTG having full on-board telemetry coupled with a live map of the track and the cars positioning on it. It seems too anal for UKTG to have now, which is probably why they don't. But it might be a worth addition to AusTG...

We can do without the telemetry, just the track-map for those who haven't found their way onto the interwebs yet.

Good show, it's getting better. Couple of things though:
* The Q7 was described as a 3.6-litre diesel? It's either a 3.0-litre diesel or a 3.6 petrol, iirc.
* The Lexus was described as a "Lexus 570". Should have been "Lexus LX570".
Shows to me that the guys aren't quite across what they're reviewing.
Producers must have spent a bit of money on cameras for the track, which is a good thing.

I would've thought an Aussie piece of shit is the same as an Italian one or an American one.

Nah, Aussie shit smells vaguely like Vegemite ... whereas Italian shit smells like pasta and American shit smells like a cross between apple pie and hot dogs. ;)

Guys, this was a big step forward for me, I loved the 4x4 part and the funniest thing; locate your car's alarm. hahahhahahah, there isn't any :) hhahahaha. Good one guys, you are improving bravo!

Not seen it yet as mininova is down for maintenance.

I'm aware this is an annoying post as its not related to the episode per se, but anyone who's come here looking for help on the broken link can still get the file [Torrent link removed by moderator]

The file servers are still up, it's just the front end that's down. :)

Um, I hate to be the one to ask.

*buckles flame-proof dacks*

Why do we ACTUALLY need an Aussie Top Gear?
Did anyone ACTUALLY ask for it in the first place?

Seriously, I wouldn't miss it if it went.

EDIT: Nor would Australia by the look. The reality is that Shannons and Castrol won't support a program that brings in half the viewers. Ratings will be the eventual death of TGA.

Top_gear_australia_tv_ratings.png

Last edited:
Solid 7.

And that's the extent of my contribution to this thread because these ones always end up in a massive shit-fight.

they drove in straight lines for days on nice dirt roads! of course nothing more than dirt in the interior is going to happen. At the end when they were climbing (and descending) rocks was the only time they had my full attention. I actually clicked "rewind" and watched with suspense as the water climbed up Warren's truck. But other than that it was nothing more than boring driving and practical jokes (which has its place). Another blown opportunity IMO.

Maybe its me but has anyone else noticed that they cannot give a negative criticism without immediately saying something positive? "this car is SO heavy, BUT! its just a cruiser!" "This truck is rubbish offroad BUT!! its fantastic on tarmac!!!" It's like they don't want to hurt the poor cars feelings... then again maybe it's just me

I was really impressed by Ep6, the presenters seem to now be expanding into the role, warming to it and they appear to be comfortable and have some sort of verbal flow and connection with each other.
Except Cox.
Warren has a lot more natural warmth in his delivery, Almost everything he did was humourous and smooth. (except WWTT, that can disappear anytime.)

Steve seems to have hit the heights of his acting depths, and cant go any further. He'll always be a co-presenter.

And Cox had the perfect vehicle for his cardboard personality in the SL review.
Something straight-laced, delivered deadpan and trussed up like a turkey. It was better than his usual standard but it was a gift of a review matching his personality to a car thats slow, reworked, pretentious and makes a lot of noise....

The 4WD segment had much improved camera work and it seemed the guys started to bond as well. Toilet humour aside, the visuals made the segment watchable.

Camera work on the track is woeful, too distant to show any detail... stand on a milk crate or get a camera out there and film several laps and edit the corners together.

Although scripted, they pulled the News segment together most of the time to be entertaining.

If theyd gone to a commercial break, pushed Cox off the set and let James Morrison host the show, no-one would mind at all.

Very happy with the new direction,now looking forward to another success.

8/10

Still dont like WWTT. No wonder Cox didnt take part in it.

all we need now is a big cheap car challage and i'll be satisfied with season 1

Unless they get someone to do a dodgy on the roadworthy, it would be hard to do a cheap car challenge in NSW that would have the hilarity of TGUK's due to NSW registration laws (same goes for VIC too).

I mean how funny would it be watching three guys drive around in old cars that actually work? Part of the fun of the cheap car challenges is seeing how Clarkson, Hammond, and May keeps their shitboxes alive for all the challenges.

Although if they went down to Tassie :mrgreen:

There's only so many Commodore vs Falcon comparisons they can do (or that the fans want). It's Top Gear - it's not all about being relevant. If you're looking for relevant the RACV RoyalAuto magazine is a superb *cough* read.

maybe its just that the holden v ford episode felt so lame and underdone, with no lap or barely any mention of performance statistics.

Um, I hate to be the one to ask.

*buckles flame-proof dacks*

Why do we ACTUALLY need an Aussie Top Gear?
Did anyone ACTUALLY ask for it in the first place?

Seriously, I wouldn't miss it if it went.

EDIT: Nor would Australia by the look. The reality is that Shannons and Castrol won't support a program that brings in half the viewers. Ratings will be the eventual death of TGA.

Top_gear_australia_tv_ratings.png

how is that worth it for them when TGUK reruns get similar results?