[01x06] November 3rd, 2008

[01x06] November 3rd, 2008

• Total voters

SL65

Ambitious but rubbish!
Car(s)
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5L
So what'd you all think of it?

Please vote and write a little review :)

And if you know any of the music that appeared in this episode - please post here.

Ep1 6/10
Ep2 7/10
Ep3 6/10
Ep4 9/10
Ep5 6/10
Ep6 7/10

Not a bad episode.

Would have been a solid 8/10 BUT the parking challenge in the 4WD's was silly and I couldn't understand the What Were They Thinking nomination by Warren.

Watching those 4WD's doing some proper off-roading at the end was very good! I like watching that sort of stuff. And there were some really nice shots of the SL63, and I particularly liked the on-board camera they used for the hot lap.

Oh god I hate the WWTT segment. It's just stupid.

The Elan Mark II is an awesome car...
Good memories from the Amiga games.

The 4WD part was just like the last one. Pretty usual fair.

Nice to see that the 4WD segment wasnt 2 seconds long. What the hell was that when Warren was taking a shit in the background. Pissed myself laughing. Nice to see those cars getting used for what they are meant for.
News, that was super short, it was like 3 news things and then it just stopped.
Star in a bog standard car, meh didnt watch
SL63, Charlie is can't review, tunnel blasting, hmm, hasnt been done before.

Again, Charlie shut your fucking face!

A 7 from me :)

I gave it an 8, I liked the offroad challenge, it was filmed well and I was surprised that the Lexus didn't do better considering it's landcruiser heritage. James Morrison was great and with 96 cars he could have been a presenter on the show. I am getting into the show more now and just enjoy it for it's entertainment.

The camera angles were a bit all over the place on the lap but I think they are trying new angles which is fine with me, the in car stuff looked the best.

I must say that I can't wait for next week with the GTR and the WRX v Helicopter looks ok as well.

I forgot to mention - it really seems they listen to what we have to say; I noticed the solid in-studio conclusion to which 4WD was the best ;)

The SL63 review was easily one of their best yet - very well shot & edited, & Charlie did a sound job of it. But it was still lacking a proper conclusion. And Stig's lap - what happened to the camera-work? We've seen big improvements in that area, but this lap had us back to the car-in-the-distance, total-lack-of-drama stuff.

The big road-trip was lacking something for the first 2/3rds of it - there wasn't enough discussion of the cars (apart from how dusty the Lexus was). It would've been nice to have the guys give more of their thoughts about the cars as they settled into them. The final 1/3rd was better in that regard. The trip did show off the huge expanses of Australia very well though - I really need to get out there and see it for myself. And hey, we got a solid conclusion!

Overall, I'm going with a solid 7 - the production values are definitely up there, it's probably time for the guys to start getting a bit more opinionated though.

- Genuinely funny one-liners in the news segment. Possibly the best yet for that.
- The SL lap filming was meh, keep what was on last week's hot lap recording, please...
- Warren taking a dump in the background was scary.
- Actually, Warren being a prick was really entertaining.
- The dust inside the Lexus was surprising. o_O

I gave it an 8. I hope I don't see Cox in a Tuxedo again, though.

Outstanding. That was easily their best episode yet. I would go so far as to say that it was good enough to be a UK TopGear episode. It flowed well and the dialogue didn't seem scripted. Even the celebrity interview seemed much better than past episodes.

The SL63 review was brilliant. The cinematography, the score, the locations, everything worked.

The outback adventure was amusing, informative and didn't seem rushed and lacking like some of the past challenges did.

I loved it.

I enjoyed it alot, though Cox did look a bit like a used car salesmen in his tux :p

I loved the 4WD bit, it felt the right length and they gave lots of information on the cars as well as actually coming to a conclusion. Perhaps it could have done with some more challenges near the start (as they felt packed towards the end), but probably the best thing they have done so far.

The news was good, but I didn't like the what were they thinking section, Warren went a bit overboard.

The SIABSC was better than the previous ones as well, I don't know if that is Cox improving or just a good guest, but it didn't seem boring at any point like some do.

The review certainly looked and sounded great (especially hearing that engine note), but yet another mostly positive review. I was hoping when it came to the morning after bit he would say some bad things about it, but he didn't.

I gave it 9/10.

Still watching it, so writing as I watch.

The road trip aint bad, infact its quiet enjoyable. Really good production value, camera work, sound etc. Didnt mind the challenge, but wouldnt have minded a race of some sort, though with the cost of the cars I can understand why they didnt. Loved the fact they actually gave a good review of the cars afterwards aswell.

The Star was probably the best yet, though I cant see James as a host, though it looked like he was trying to put his name down for it if Cox is dropped.

What were they thinking, was horrible. Probably the worst segment on any TGA show yet. Warren took a bit of a step back this episode, and needs to go back to how he is. He seemed to be trying a bit hard to be the comedian. WWTT should be like the 'Cool Wall' and showed a couple of times a series.

SL63 review was pretty great, probably the best review on TGA yet, and my favourite segment with Charlie. Though it needed a conclusion, with that it would have almost been TGUK worthy.

Intros to the Stig really arent needed, and ruin it a bit.

Lap Cameras have gone back to how they were, last weeks were great, and they dropped back this week.

Looking forward to next week, and especially next season. The guys seem to be getting a bit closer, so with a bit of time will be a great team.

Parts were very low rated (WWTT) but the rest made up for it.

8/10 from me, primarily the extra point for the 4wd challenge which I found to be quite well done and probably quite original as obviously in the UK such a thing is nowhere near as possible therefore it had to be original really (maybe thats the best thing to do with these things). A few awkward jokes again but with some of the one-liners that at least made me laugh for a moment in my head show there is some comedic talent here somewhere, but that isn't so much the point, good car reviews please!! Comedy is not as important. Informative but positive-attitude (not all-postitive thinking in regard to the car) reviewing would be a big step up. A very significant but I am sure easily fixed issue is the timing with the challenge which was broken into three parts, the middle seemed pretty pointless so time management is a issue there. SBSC I just go with the flow (even with TGUK I will rarely watch SIARPC more than once) its not very important to me but the guest this week was possibly the best yet however. Hosts wise Steve and Warren seem to be progressing quite well as they blend in but Charlie almost certainly would be better not as much in the spotlight, it seems the less he needs to lead among the presenters the better he is. The SL63 review was the same old inconclusive but Charlie in the Tux I have to say was quietly amusing and interesting in its strangeness. Charlie seems however to not fit into the Top Gear presenting style very well with his natural personality (that is trying to get out) so either they will need to adjust the show a little to accomodate him better or he will need to be replaced, the first I think would be better (I am a fair-go saught and dont believe in doing everything down to the dollar)

Superb.

The Off Road Challenge was brilliant. Warren taking a dump in the background was hysterical! The camera work was worthy of TGUK. I think that using Warren to narrate this was a stroke of genius on the behalf of the producer/director, it felt like there was far less Charlie than usual. And OMFG THEY MADE A CONCLUSION!!

James Morrison was the best SIABSC thus far, and by a huge margin. If Cox ever leaves TGA, then James is the perfect replacement. 96 cars ftw! That, and the track footage of James' lap was easily the best thus far.

WWTT was pretty cheesy, but I think that's deliberate. I think that eventually WWTT will be on the WWTT board for a bit of fun ...

The SL63 film was magic. Charlie was really in his element, and the filming/editing is worthy of a later episode of TGUK.

I also like how in the news, they gave both Holden and VW a spray. Did heaps for the credibility. Actually, I think that's what I liked about this episode: credibility. It wasn't over the top LOL funny, but it was genuinely entertaining all the way through, other than perhaps the crap Stig jokes making a return.

8.5/10, but I had to round up. 9/10.

So much better than last week I reckon. They are improving week by week with all the segments going from Strength to strength. The outback adventure was great, but would've wanted more details about the car and if they would've gone longer, it would've been a bit boring. Still, a very good episode this week.

8/10

9/10...would have been a 10 but for the lack of real review of the SL63 and the WWTT bit. Overall my favourite episode so far.

4wd thingo - Thank God it wasn't another overly shortened piece and actually got enough screen time. I really, really enjoyed it, and did actually piss myself laughing at their antics and arseing about (oh and the random footage of Warren taking a dump....HA). Challenges were good. it was filmed beautifully and we got a solid conclusion!!! Yay!!! My only real criticism is that after seeing it in the preview, we didn't actually get to see Warren's ukulele get smashed into the fire. Granted, a decent ukulele will set you back a few hundred bucks, but surely they couldn't buy a $25 POS and do it? I WANT UKE CARNAGE. But I digress.

News - best of the whole series so far, the jokes were actually funny (especially Warren's about Heather Mills and recycling one's urine).

SIABSC - Definitely better than the last two week's, although this may be because James Morrison is a great storyteller. GET HIS BOOK.

WWTT - eh, I hope next series they don't feel they need to do it every week because they are scraping the bottom of the barrel a bit. Parking Inspectors do deserve to die a slow and painful death, though.

SL63 - Yes yes yes, it's beautiful and the folding roof is a revelation and the mod cons are fantastic and the acceleration is great and all that, but what is it like to drive? What's the handling and the suspension like? I want to know because that's as close as I'm ever going to get to driving one. Beautifully shot though, that shot in the tunnel zooming up on the bonnet was a little bit of genius. I get the feeling that they're still playing around with how to film the track. The fixed camera on the left hander before the back straight was pretty cool, but other than that it wasn't as good as the filming last week.

I also like how in the news, they gave both Holden and VW a spray. Did heaps for the credibility.

News - best of the whole series so far, the jokes were actually funny (especially Warren's about Heather Mills and recycling one's urine).

Yep, agreed on both counts - the news were terrific, more like that please guys!

Superb.

The Off Road Challenge was brilliant. Warren taking a dump in the background was hysterical! The camera work was worthy of TGUK. I think that using Warren to narrate this was a stroke of genius on the behalf of the producer/director, it felt like there was far less Charlie than usual. And OMFG THEY MADE A CONCLUSION!!

James Morrison was the best SIABSC thus far, and by a huge margin. If Cox ever leaves TGA, then James is the perfect replacement. 96 cars ftw! That, and the track footage of James' lap was easily the best thus far.

WWTT was pretty cheesy, but I think that's deliberate. I think that eventually WWTT will be on the WWTT board for a bit of fun ...

The SL63 film was magic. Charlie was really in his element, and the filming/editing is worthy of a later episode of TGUK.

I also like how in the news, they gave both Holden and VW a spray. Did heaps for the credibility. Actually, I think that's what I liked about this episode: credibility. It wasn't over the top LOL funny, but it was genuinely entertaining all the way through, other than perhaps the crap Stig jokes making a return.

8.5/10, but I had to round up. 9/10.

Spot on. :thumbsup:

Oh dear. Hate to be a curmudgeon, but I gave it a 6/10.

Nothing happened. They just drove the cars. There was NO drama. NO story.

Okay, for the sake of support I'll try to be positive, so here's the bits I liked.

-Warren taking a dump.
-Height control on the Rangie
-James Morrison COULD be a presenter. (Take 1 Cartoonist, 1 Musician, and add Dancer Paul Mercurio....)
-A conclusion!! Hurrah!
-A car failure (dust) Hurrah!
-And I liked the tractor bit from last week.

I've also surmised the problem with Cox is that he is "Read, not Said". He can't deliver a script.

Hands up who's coming back next year? Keep them in your pocket Charlie...