[01x07] November 10th, 2008

[01x07] November 10th, 2008

• Total voters
Well that'd be my first 8/10 for the show then - very good, very solid episode.

Finally, we have some great footage of track-work. Just a pity it wasn't at the TGAu track... The footage of the STi at the Army base showed everything that's wrong with the footage from the TGAu track - we had some quick cornering, good camera positions, a sense of speed, etc.

The entire STi review was very well done I thought - well shot, & the helicopter chase was put together very nicely. It's nice to see some negative opinions coming through in the reviews too, Steve not being afraid to let the STi have it (somewhat...).

The GT-R piece was suberbly shot & produced - really great work. Steve did a good job of the actual review too - good to see SBS not afraid to show a speedo clocking over 250km/h.

Hell, even the Petrol v Diesel segment was interesting - I was expecting it to be like watching paint dry, but I was happily surprised.

The negative of it was Charlie - for the first half of the show he looked like he'd prefer to be somewhere else.

More like this please guys.

Ep1 6/10
Ep2 7/10
Ep3 6/10
Ep4 9/10
Ep5 6/10
Ep6 7/10
Ep7 6/10

It was okay. Nothing special. Meh....

TGUK aside solid episode, enjoyed all the segments, just can't stand Greg Murphy other wise good stuff. All that hand waving seems to be an aussie trait, everyone one doing it tonight

Very fun episode episode I thought, if I had to pick a standout for me it would be the visuals. The camera guys did an excellent job I thought

OK, so dinner interrupted my viewing and I'm yet to watch the GTR review onwards but I gotta get this off my chest.

Call it a conspiracy or whatever. But in the episode where they test two VW Golf's, the main automobile advertiser is Skoda (yes, you and I know it's owned by VW, but does Average Joe?)... I know SBS said that the sponsors wouldn't affect the outcome of any tests and sure, Skoda is owned by VW. But if SBS is so adamant that they're keeping the advertising separate from the show then why not show a VW commercial? Or is this VW twisting SBS's arm and saying "hey, advertise one of our other brands tonight'...

Call it a conspiracy or whatever. But in the episode where they test two VW Golf's, the main automobile advertiser is Skoda (yes, you and I know it's owned by VW, but does Average Joe?)... I know SBS said that the sponsors wouldn't affect the outcome of any tests and sure, Skoda is owned by VW. But if SBS is so adamant that they're keeping the advertising separate from the show then why not show a VW commercial? Or is this VW twisting SBS's arm and saying "hey, advertise one of our other brands tonight'...

Err, I think you're reading too much into that - the Golf was a good choice for the segment as it's line-up includes closely spec'd models running latest-generation petrol & diesel motors.

No no, I'm not questioning the choice of car at all. I'm questioning why every week we have seen ads for VW but tonight we see ads for Skoda...

Who gave it a one? Please explain your choice, fair enough it isn't TGUK but i don't think it deserves a 1.....maybe its just me but theres alot of haters towards TGA, for its first season it ain't too bad. If the problems that we see in this season continue in the next then we'll have an issue, i guess i just wanna see it turn out well and even comparable to TGUK when they sort out the kinks in the show.

No no, I'm not questioning the choice of car at all. I'm questioning why every week we have seen ads for VW but tonight we see ads for Skoda...

VW buys the space, so surely they're entitled to use that air-time as they see fit. If they want to use it for another of their brands I don't see an issue with it.

VW buys the space, so surely they're entitled to use that air-time as they see fit. If they want to use it for another of their brands I don't see an issue with it.

I'm just being a skeptical business/marketing student.

if SBS is so adamant that they're keeping the advertising separate from the show then why not show a VW commercial? Or is this VW twisting SBS's arm

Yeah, the last segment seemed like gratuitous product placement. :mad: If you watch the credits closely, you'll notice that Caltex supplies TGA's fuel as well ...

It was almost enough to ruin what was otherwise a pretty solid episode. Pizzati's coming into his own, the R35 GT-R film was superbly shot, WWTT was amusing and the Army challenge was pretty cool. If the rest of the stuff wasn't so good, I would have given this episode a 4/10 if only for the bullshit VW/Caltex ad at the end.

Edit: I realise watto was originally referring to the Skoda ads, but I reckon the last segment was far worse.

Last edited:

Err, I think you're reading too much into that - the Golf was a good choice for the segment as it's line-up includes closely spec'd models running latest-generation petrol & diesel motors.

Actually, several episodes through-out the series have had Skoda advertising instead of VW, not just this one.

Yeah, the last segment seemed like gratuitous product placement. :mad: If you watch the credits closely, you'll notice that Caltex supplies TGA's fuel as well ....

So they aren't allowed to feature VWs at all? :rolleyes:

Not very good product placement if you ask me. Charlie wasn't very flattering about the Golf.

Last edited:
So they aren't allowed to feature VWs at all? :rolleyes:

Not very good product placement if you ask me. Charlie wasn't very flattering about the Golf.

That was only to throw people off the scent ...

If it wasn't such a pointless film - well, other than to get some more bang for VW and Caltex's advertising bucks - I wouldn't be so annoyed. I don't mind there being VAG products in TGA, unless they serve no useful purpose whatsoever. This is the second film in this series where it's felt like little more than a gratuitious plug for VAG vehicles (the first being that stupid Audi boat).

If there is a genuine reason to show a VW, Audi, Lambo, Skoda etc ... then that's fine. But when it's stupid shit like this ... doesn't really help TGA develop its credibility.

The in-studio elements weren't as good as last week, but the films were good. The Impreza versus the Tiger looked great and I thought his dust cloud escape plan was genius. That thing is designed to hunt tanks and doughnuts aren't really an option for an Abraams. The fuel test was a bit of a wash considering all the cheating they did but as far as their little fluff-pieces go it was pretty good (and I'm not just saying that because I live in Wollongong) Steve's Nissan GT-R review was good too.

I gave it an 8. Not as good as last week's 9, but still very enjoyable.