[01x07] November 10th, 2008

[01x07] November 10th, 2008

• Total voters
No no, I'm not questioning the choice of car at all. I'm questioning why every week we have seen ads for VW but tonight we see ads for Skoda...

I think they've had Skoda ads other nights.

Well I'm not really looking forward to the Holden v. Ford thing again. I personally can't stand that.

I thought this was a pretty good episode (for TGAu).
The WRX vs Eurocopter Tiger was very well shot and contained a reasonable review by Steve. Steve's GT-R test was fleshed out with some opinion (with justification) and gave a some notion of the driving experience. SIABSC was OK, but I would like less talk and more driving in that segment.
The little segment with the Golfs was also watchable.
As per last week, 8/10 from me.

Actually, several episodes through-out the series have had Skoda advertising instead of VW, not just this one.

So they aren't allowed to feature VWs at all? :rolleyes:

Not very good product placement if you ask me. Charlie wasn't very flattering about the Golf.

Right on Stiggie. I distinctly recall the Skoda ad (where the car is so slow that the kid in the back seat goes through puberty before reaching their destination) on during previous episodes. It's going to be difficult to not test VW products too .... they are the third biggest automobile manufacturer in the world (and a week or two ago, VW was temporarily the biggest company in the world during the Porsche putsch).

I understand the concern that sponsorship may affect (even surrupticiously) editorial independence, but somehow SBS has to pay for the program.

Right on Stiggie. I distinctly recall the Skoda ad (where the car is so slow that the kid in the back seat goes through puberty before reaching their destination) on during previous episodes.

That is a really bad ad.:rofl:

I think they are trying to say the a Skoda will still be running like new when your kids have grown up but it really does come across as though they are calling it slow.:lol:

The worst for me is that really badly dubbed castrol ad.

It's not like we're afraid of Americans or something

I honestly don't remember any other Skoda ads during this season... Anyways, the episode, as I've now watched it in full.

I want everyone to compare Charlie's R8 review against Steve's reviews this week. That there is a perfect example of why Charlie has to go! Steve actually gave us figures, told us how the car really drove, told us what he really thought, excellent!

I thought it was a solid effort overall, not so sure about the petrol/diesel review, all seemed a bit pointless.

8/10.

I don't see the issue with the Golf segment, it is one of the relatively few fairly common small diesels, the other alternative would probably have been the i30, but I don't think the match is as even there. The Caltex service stations stuck out, but who chooses where they buy petrol based on the brand, you by the cheapest unless you like a particular station (which are normally independents).

The interaction between Charlie and Warren was great, they made the segment fairly interesting.

The SIABSC felt a bit long and they didn't make for very interesting guests, really a big negative on the episode. What were they thinking was a bit better this week, though they should cut it for next season.

Reviews were good, especially the WRX. Steve's voice seemed to be a bit less harsh as well (which is something he needs to work on).

I can't put my finger on it, but something was missing in this episode.

9/10. Rather great, although I think they're regressing with their track shooting methods.

WRX vs Tiger - I didn't entirely get this one, like anyone thought the Tiger wouldn't win....it was fun to see Steve's fancy driving moves though and it did look pretty cool.

News - I can't even remember it this week and I just watched it half an hour ago. Oh, the Citroen Picasso/Picasso Citroen thing was pretty neat.

SIABSC - As much as I love James Morrison I actually thought this was the best of that segment so far (and I wasn't even that familiar with tonight's guests). Having the two of them on at the same time was a great idea as they could bounce off each other, and it made Charlie seem more relaxed too. I really dug the way they shot the Bus Stop the first time around although I think the track shooting overall still wasn't as good as it was for the bimmer a couple of weeks ago. Oh and what's with that table of dudes hanging out and having a cuppa in the background...

WWTT - Interesting concept for this week with the pack of cards, but seriously, it's time to let it go.

Nissan GT-R - Pretty darn cool! Liked hearing all the numbers and stuff. Yay for closed freeways and no speed limiters too. Steve is an excellent reviewer.

Golf Diesel Vs Petrol - I seriously LOL'd at this one. Charlie showed yet again that outside of the scripted studio environment he's actually a funny bugger and quite watchable. I love Warren and his little pranks as well. I wonder what sort of track they used to test the Golfs though, seemed like an extremely shortened version of their regular track.

So, one episode left in series one; I think they're doing a damn good job and are now knocking out a respectably solid show each week - hoping to see it improve even more.

WWTT - Interesting concept for this week with the pack of cards, but seriously, it's time to let it go.

Agreed. It was a great idea, but by showing it each and every week, and making the audience chant it's name they've worn it out. Drop it, or at the very least have it make an appearance once or twice per season. And quit with the chanting.

Yeppum, that ad is really getting on my wick too. It's just plain insulting.

Anyway, this week I watched TGA live and then TG S12E02 straight after.

Man alive! That really defines the difference in 'entertainment value' between the Master and Grasshopper (even though most of TGUK was 'factual' - wink wink).

But...

Having said that, the TGA GTR piece was achingly beautiful. Probably one of the best shot and edited car pieces I've seen, anywhere. Kudos TGA Team.

Having said that, in last week's thread it was mentioned the producers had a 'submit a challenge' comp where the winner could win a lap with the Stig. So, apparently they aren't short of ideas.

Why aren't they using any of the of the challenges that were submitted? Simple. Because they are OPI, Other People's Ideas, and that's like admitting defeat in the production world.

I gave it a 5/10.

TGA is simply not that entertaining.

Last edited:
OK, so dinner interrupted my viewing and I'm yet to watch the GTR review onwards but I gotta get this off my chest.

Call it a conspiracy or whatever. But in the episode where they test two VW Golf's, the main automobile advertiser is Skoda (yes, you and I know it's owned by VW, but does Average Joe?)... I know SBS said that the sponsors wouldn't affect the outcome of any tests and sure, Skoda is owned by VW. But if SBS is so adamant that they're keeping the advertising separate from the show then why not show a VW commercial? Or is this VW twisting SBS's arm and saying "hey, advertise one of our other brands tonight'...

I'm not with you. I've seen those Skoda advertisements pretty much every week...

I've seen the start of it, but got interrupted after the news. I have to say, they need to come up with better jokes, stuff like Steve's Vista joke just plain failed.

I'll have to watch the rest later, another time.

... and did anyone else hear Charlie call the Stig 'Steve' during the Porch lap?

No. I'll have to go back and check that.

Are you sure he wasn't talking to Steve, who co-commentates the laps? I can't imagine that they'd have left it in if he wasn't.

I suspect that this was the best ep so far...one to go...let's hope they don't let the quality slide for the last one in the series...this week's was justification enough for keeping the show on to series 2 I reckon. Subaru v Chopper would've been a swine to shoot but they pulled it off beautifully, I thought.

Has anyone heard about possible lineup changes for series 2? I heard a talkback caller on 3AW in Melbourne the other day claiming inside info that one team member would not be back fo S2...anyone else heard that?

Is there somewhere that shows what each episode poll's average has been?

I think the more telling figure with the poll is the amount of people who voted for each show. Over 500 for episode 1, it's steadily fallen to 132 for episode five. I'll admit I've missed the last two episodes and I dont feel all that inclined to go and download them either. I saw tonights but wasnt impressed. Was more interested in the TV show on after it, Swift and Shift Couriers, which is some hilarious shit! :lol:

dang.. seems my useless TEAC box messed up and TGau didn't record.

ah well, not gonna bother download it, can't say I've really enjoyed a single epsiode yet, bits were "ok" (just) but most of it is just not entertaining or informative.

TGuk rock on, TGau, sorry I'm signing off.

After reading the above postsI guess the R35 video would have been interesting, but Holdens vs Ford next week isn't anything to float my boat.

Last edited:

That shits me even more than all the gratuitous in-show product placement combined!

As for the Skoda ads, my only problem with them is I get their damn jingle stuck in my head at random. It's so catchy! :blink:

not so sure about the petrol/diesel review, all seemed a bit pointless

That's because it was a thinly disguised advertorial worthy of Glenn Ridge ...

I don't see the issue with the Golf segment, it is one of the relatively few fairly common small diesels, the other alternative would probably have been the i30

Or the Focus. Or the Astra (although I wouldn't have used the Astra as we've already seen them in the lawn bowls segment). Or the Peugeot 307. Or the Citroen C4. Or the Mazda 3 ...

Last edited: