[01x07] November 10th, 2008

[01x07] November 10th, 2008

• Total voters
I can't stand this show anymore. I think the mistake they made is they called it Top Gear, in my opinion it's nothing like Top Gear.

quite good, although it was pretty stupid they broke the Subaru challenge in half - should have been one segment.

the diesel vs petrol thing was quite good, now I don't have to explain to people here why diesel>petrol :lol:
still not liking the WWTT board, it's getting old now.

Nissan GT-R review was very good, gave us a good indication on how it is to drive

Just finished watching after a 10minute download. This is now the 2nd episode I have put myself though. Strange thing is the episode 1x06 I really liked the sound off and didn't much care for while 1x07 I downloaded to kill a spare 40mins was better. The hosts would not say they are settleing into there roles but as you get more used to them you can adapt although it is hard to accept there little quirks. GT-R was good, Sti wasn't bad until the "tiger" came into the fold just lacked something like it was a pointless exercise to make the whole thing more appealing which it didm't. Petrol v Diesel wasn't to bad either although are they really trying to make us beleive letting down tyres and not having money for a toll is improvised (please). Overall watchable not 1/2 bad but not 1/2 good either. I don't think it lacks entertainment but it's about as exiting as a Ugly Betty double bill.

Or how about getting some decent on screen talent ??

The camera work on the GTR segment was great, in fact it made the rest of the show look bad because it was the best thing in the episode.

I cant get over the talent,or lack of, on the show, or all AU shows, its like there a gene missing in Australian TV hosts where they are all cardboard,unfunny,lacking in testicular fortitude, gormless PC twits.
Based on longevity, the most popular would be Bert Newton and Rove, and they both share the same lame gay humour, pull silly faces and do little dances in an effort to entertain.
Its just shameful thay someone pays them money for that crap year after year...

Break out the real talent if there is any in this country.
Any of the 3 UK guys seem like they could entertain a room of people at a party. Theyre opinionated and importantly, complete men. They know who they are and arent afraid to say and do what they believe, or the opposite for a laugh. Each one would be a great person to chat with for an hour or two.

Now look at the 3 Au guys and what have we got to choose from there ??
If you met them 2 years ago at a BBQ which one would you listen to for an hour?
Ego-Man ?
The slightly creepy little one,
or maybe the one who owns a fire engine? ((wow))
Its a tough ask because youre trying to pick the least annoying one.

On air they have no opinion, no individual identity, no professionalism, no personality, no presence and it cant all be the producers fault for telling them what to say all the time.
I havent heard anyone say (of the presenters) ....that any one of them is great.
Sometimes good, getting better, mildly amusing etc...but theres no fan club web site set up for Cox now is there?

Its not a fuckin school holiday Drama Camp for shy kiddies, pull your fingers out and DO something to entertain us if you can.. Maybe in the off-season go and get acting lessons for a start. Or just copy someone who has talent.

The 3 of them just cant cut it on TV, and ugly guys on TV usually need to be more gifted,charming and talented. Whats keeping you 3 employed ??

Unbelieveably,these hollow-men are meant to be professional presenters and the 3 Aussies arent equal to one English guy.
People dont come back to a show for the camera angles, we need confident people with passion and personality to front TGAU and give it a strong presence.

Stiggy...I'm at a loss fer words...at the same time that you're lambasting all Aussie presenting talent, you're seemingly happy to raise JC,RH and JM to demi-god status...in the UK, those 3 are regarded (despite being good at what they do) as being rather naff in the TV firmament. Whilst TGUK is undeniably popular, it comes nowhere near the sort of viewing figures that other programmes get.

Whilst I'm in a rantin' kinda mood, I'm sure just about everyone that reads this forum will have seen TGUK from the start...remember fatboy Jason? remember the EXCRUCIATINGLY painful awkward banter? AND...remember that TGUK as you see it now may be in Series 12, but it had the benefit of being able to pick up the pieces of the ORIGINAL BBC Top Gear, fronted by a catatonic combover called William Woollard...that series died a slow and painful death before its resurrection at the hands of Clarkson and Co., who were able to learn all the lessons of the first incarnation WAY before Ep 1 with Fatboy Jase...and all the other howlers.

AND..one more rantette...let's remember that TGA is a BBC WORLDWIDE idea...It's St Jeremy and St Andy that pushed for this - and TGUS and TGCCCP - in the first place. They are making money from this. They want it to work. It's not as different an animal as you might think.

Wake Up, dudes...

Peace n Lurv.:rolleyes:

It's not that i want to hate them, but they're not doing much to turn me. I'm the sort to probably watch every ep till they make a good one, but it just looks sad now.

Even leaving uk out of the mix, the Subaru test was okay, but then why did it end so horribly? Why weren't they belting to the finish, instead of stopping, getting out and "whoops, we're done for".

The GTR review was fine but again, he held back a bit, even with a clean piece of tarmac. If you're an accomplished driver, you can feel if the electronic switchery is giving it an advantage, so why not go all out and see?

There's no pomp and circumstance in anything for them, and Charlie seems to use every single simile/metaphor/anything to get a soundbite, it gets tedious.

For some reason, TGAU seems to think locally, which is fine, it's Australian right? But then even uk realised that the world watches this show now, so talking about only old british cars and inside jokes that no one will ever get isn't what they went for. Keep it Australian, but let everyone enjoy it.

I enjoyed that well enough, but it felt very different from previous episodes somehow.

It felt longer - I don't mean that it was so tedious I could feel the minutes dragging along or anything negative like that (though I did feel the SIABSC dragged a bit - could be because it was a 'double header', which I didn't think worked too well in the UK version either), but more that there seemed to be a bit more actual content somehow. In fact, the ad breaks seemed to come in particularly abrubtly to me, and some of the editing decisions were a bit odd. I don't think the Subaru film needed to be split, or if it had to be, the point at which they chose to break again could have done with being a bit less abrupt. Still, I'm happy to see TGAu working with the Australian forces as TGUK does here at home. Thought the GT-R film was very nicely put together though, and I even got something of an impression of what it might be like to drive. It was good to see the GT2 being put through its paces (even with TGAu's dodgy track filming), too. The Golf film had potential, but while I enjoyed Charlie and Warren attempting to get one-up on each other, it could have had a bit more to it. Having said that, it did have a conclusion of sorts, so that's something - and I did enjoy Warren celebrating the diesel beating the petrol's lap time :)

Overall, it was a reasonable enough way to waste an hour, though it wasn't one of my favourite episodes. However, it did give me an idea where the biggest area for a potential improvement might be. I'm not talking anything as radical as changing presenters because I really do think we're starting to see them break away from their pre-defined "Australian Clarkson, Hammond and May" roles, and the studio segments seemed a bit more relaxed this week, which seemed to show in the use of language throughout (I want TGAu on British telly as soon as possible - the Daily Wail readers would all go into cardiac arrest at the use of the word "shithouse" and multiple uses of "bastard" would finish 'em off completely. Just to be perfectly clear here, I have no issue with it at all, it's just that clearly the Australian media - or at least, SBS - is a lot more relaxed about it than us Poms). The ideas were good, but with a bit of guidance and tweaking the execution could have been so much better.

My thought on this? What the show needs most of all is a good script editor to tighten things up and tweak 'em a bit. Maybe the should email the rough drafts to Richard Porter and let him have a look for series 2.

I have been giving consistant 7s for this series. This episode was nice, just one thing I didn't quite get. Why the hell they reviewed the GT-R and posted a lap time for the GT2? Why didn't they review the bloody Porsche? It seems TG have something against it. Clarkson didn't do proper review(the screamfest) and so didn't the guys from OZ.

Nobody's stopping YOU from watching it and enjoying the show, but this is a forum where people come to discuss it. If you don't like that, maybe you shouldn't log on here?

Fair point and that did occur to me. I apologise, one thing I hate is people tell other people not to express an opinion on a forum where you are asked to share your opinion. I watched TGUK 12x2 and TGAUS1x7 on the same night so maybe I had overdosed on TG or something.

hey Blayde, great avatar. !!

Stiggy...I'm at a loss fer words...at the same time that you're lambasting all Aussie presenting talent,

Fink99, can you name some good ones? Im at a loss to name anyone in AUTV who can talk on their feet for more than 30 seconds. Except for the guys who front Good News Week and Deal or no deal.

you're seemingly happy to raise JC,RH and JM to demi-god status...in the UK, those 3 are regarded (despite being good at what they do) as being rather naff in the TV firmament.

The UK guys are good at what they do, it doesnt surprise me that the are considered niche presenters and probably wouldnt do too well too far from their current shows, but they do let their macho guard down and get goofy in order to entertain and that makes them fairly unique in a world of hairy chests and dick measuring.

Whilst TGUK is undeniably popular, it comes nowhere near the sort of viewing figures that other programmes get.
Whilst I'm in a rantin' kinda mood, I'm sure just about everyone that reads this forum will have seen TGUK from the start...remember fatboy Jason? remember the EXCRUCIATINGLY painful awkward banter? AND...remember that TGUK as you see it now may be in Series 12, but it had the benefit of being able to pick up the pieces of the ORIGINAL BBC Top Gear, fronted by a catatonic combover called William Woollard...that series died a slow and painful death before its resurrection at the hands of Clarkson and Co., who were able to learn all the lessons of the first incarnation WAY before Ep 1 with Fatboy Jase...and all the other howlers.

AND..one more rantette...let's remember that TGA is a BBC WORLDWIDE idea...It's St Jeremy and St Andy that pushed for this - and TGUS and TGCCCP - in the first place. They are making money from this. They want it to work.

If Jeremy and Andy had a hand in choosing the talent, then what in the Wide Wide Wide World of Sports went wrong in the talent selection process ?
Why did they choose such a selection of 3

White
Anglo
Saxon
Protestant

middle aged, average-looking, middle class,poorly dressed, unimaginative, unpersonable guys with bugger all TV mojo ?

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/11/12/mojo.jpg

For a country that champions multiculturalism and is almost class-less ( both meanings),
then why pick 3 people that are from
such an incredibly thin demographic slice of Australian life ?

If they wanted it to work, why did they choose guys who are behind the 8 ball from the start ??
I dont know if you know what happened, but if youve got some insight into why these 3 guys came out on top Id be grateful.

It's not as different an animal as you might think.

If TGAU was an animal, its creator surely didnt want it to live.

Wake Up, dudes...

Peace n Lurv.:rolleyes:

According to the pre episode discussion thread, episode 7 was suppose to have the review of the Koenigsegg CCX. What ever happened to that?

Fair point and that did occur to me. I apologise, one thing I hate is people tell other people not to express an opinion on a forum where you are asked to share your opinion. I watched TGUK 12x2 and TGAUS1x7 on the same night so maybe I had overdosed on TG or something.

Thanks Mike. Constructive discussion + broadened thinking = more intelligence in the world = happier planet.

:)

STIG_mata: Do us all a favour and please stop posting in blue. Your posts are no more or less important than everyone else's - there's no need to highlight them as if that's the case.

Yet long enough to post a million blue words about it?

Apparrently so..Touche ! I dunno about living forever, thats a lot of wrinkles.

Gerfix, love the shirt, but I'll need one in BLUE for sure !! They say theyre out of stock, bugger !!

fbc, Strike a blow for the Conformity Police , you legend !
I have the option (as does everyone else on trillions of posts, emails and forums around the world), to make a very slight difference to my posts.

So, OH MY GOD, I did ! Sometimes I even go crazy and post a pic !

Maybe because its a forum about a car show thats based on a bit of individuality,
personality,
creativity.
Not conformity.

However if its just the coloured words that upset you so profoundly then you can turn the colour of your monitor down and rest easy.
Or maybe lash out an try a bit of colour yourself ? On some crazy sites people do it all the time just for a bit of fun.

I have no illusion that my opinion is worth anything at all, its just an opinion equal to everyone elses. Whats that line about opinions and bumholes...everyones got one and they all stink.?

I certainly dont need colour to draw attention to what I write, however

I'll give black a try, just for your peace of mind, but I cant guarantee everyone else will conform.

btw, How well do you handle changes in font and point ?

fbc, Strike a blow for the Conformity Police .. <blah> <blah> btw, How well do you handle changes in font and point ?

Oh FFS, the only reason you'd post in a different colour would be to draw attention to yourself & your posts.

Last edited:
Gerfix, love the shirt, but I'll need one in BLUE for sure !! They say theyre out of stock, bugger !!

The T-shirt is just the start.
There is also the bumper sticker:
http://www.cafepress.com/eclectical.166013942

The coffee mug:
http://shop.cafepress.com/item/live...eed&utm_term=273779862&utm_campaign=large-mug

and the beer stiein:
http://shop.cafepress.com/item/live...uctfeed&utm_term=273779833&utm_campaign=stein

:rolleyes:

BTW, the mauve is easier to read than the blue