[01x09] January 16th, 2011

[01x09] January 16th, 2011

• Total voters
And having it be a Hilux was just silly. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about that truck will know it's the best of the 4

Again, it wasn't about the Hilux being terrible. It was about the humiliation of a foreign truck being tougher than their American truck.

Again, it wasn't about the Hilux being terrible. It was about the humiliation of a foreign truck being tougher than their American truck.

Where's the humiliation? The Hilux clearly was better then any of the POS's they brought with them.

The problem I had with this show was the constant American chest thumping. The best episode of Top Gear U.S. pales in comparison to the worst of Top Gear UK. I'm done with this show and will gladly never watch another episode of it. The hosts are terrible, the cars are horrible. The challenges are worse then the originals.

The one good thing I will say is that the majority of Americans who watch this and are ignorant to the far superior original version will probably find this show entertaining. But everyone who has scene the original and prefers this is either kidding themselves, letting their American pride overwhelm their intelligence or is simply just in denial.

Where's the humiliation? The Hilux clearly was better then any of the POS's they brought with them.

The problem I had with this show was the constant American chest thumping. The best episode of Top Gear U.S. pales in comparison to the worst of Top Gear UK. I'm done with this show and will gladly never watch another episode of it. The hosts are terrible, the cars are horrible. The challenges are worse then the originals.

The one good thing I will say is that the majority of Americans who watch this and are ignorant to the far superior original version will probably find this show entertaining. But everyone who has scene the original and prefers this is either kidding themselves, letting their American pride overwhelm their intelligence or is simply just in denial.

then why the hell are you in the first place? you're nothing more than a pathetic troll who has nothing better to do than bad mouth a show online and thinking that you have "original input".you may think you're a "Top Gear" fan, but really you are blind to the fact that any version of Top Gear appeals to anyone, and this episode clearly represents what Top Gear truly is.

if you don't like the US version, that's fine. but your input is clearly invalid on a forum that's way above your intellect. i suggest you log off here for good before you just get banned.

I think you'll find that not only Americans are watching this show but even if they do, what's your problem with that? TGUS was created for American viewers in the first place, hence why it's called TGUS.

Not gonna be as harsh as grossman but he does have a point. It felt a bit awkward to see the Hilux roaring in the background as a threat when most people know that it's clearly superior. I do get the point though, that it's humiliating to have to switch to a import, but it clearly is the better car so it wasn't much of a humiliation.

Reactions: JCE
I highly doubt that it was blind "America Fuck Yeah" that was behind them them putting the Toyota in the background as the forfeit car. Heck, it may have even been a tongue in cheek (yes, we have that here in America too) dig at the Big 3 about their threatened superiority in the truck market. Awkward? More like knowing.

The intentions might have been playful, but still, the moral was: "If you fail, you get a better car."
Not much motivation for not failing..

The intentions might have been playful, but still, the moral was: "If you fail, you get a better car."

More like "If you fail, America fails." They're not exactly game show contestants with real motivations backing them.

the point of the challenge is simple. to find America's toughest truck. i'm sure they have nothing personal against the Toyota (Hilux) Pick-Up, but they wanted to prove that the States can do something well. and what we are known to do the best are trucks...not so much Dodge, but the thing we do trucks well back in the day, as Tanner has already proved.

i honestly thought that Adam and the Ford would of taken the title, but it was simply to old and worn down. it kinda reminded me of the "Bolivia Special" and Hammond's Land Cruiser. i'm sure most of us thought that the Land Cruiser would of easily conquered that challenge but we were proven wrong.

still, those Chevys are very solid and a better choice for those who don't want to go the Toyota route.

Last edited:
Both zoink and torrage are down. Any other site to download torrent?
I had the same problem, still watching it on Xfinity On-Demand....now onto the show.....

I have to make a retraction from what I said when TopGear US was first announced. I always said that I wanted it the way the NBC pilot was shot, with Adam Carolla, Tanner Faust, and Eric Stromer.

I have to say that Rutledge has grown on me like a Georgia rash, I can't get enough of his accent and southernly ways......but Adam Ferrara has always been and will always be one hell of a stand-up comic, but he isn't right for TopGear.

Tanner was born to be behind the wheel, and Rut definitely knows his stuff, but Adam F. needs to be an occasional guest presenter at the most. I loved when he aired that Caddy out in the moonshine ep, and loved when he went the fastest in the Lambos......2 bits in 10 shows means just like everyone else has said, he is the weakest link.

That being said.....now I have to give my recommendation. Replace Adam Ferrara with Adam Carolla and you will have merciless ridicule from all 3 presenters, not to mention Adam C. has several classic Datsun 510's, which he races, so he can actually drive. Nuff said, I gave it a 10.....

Reactions: JCE
I enjoyed the episode, just wish it was longer. The guys are getting better with each episode.

60 Minutes would be better for TGA. They would be able to fit in a lot more funny, witty bits, that it seems to be missing. Overall I really liked this Alaska/Truck Challenge (I was secretly rooting for the Toyo). Rut and Tanner are great for the show, but Adam F is just not cutting it, he's funny, but not TG material. I give this episode a 9.

I knew those trucks were in for a beating when I saw the roll cages installed in all 3.
This was truly an AMERICAN episode of TG. I'd rank it even with any of the TGUK epic challenges of the past few years....even comparing this one with (gasp) the South American episode.
Also, many great one liners within it. Had to laugh at the 'Gnome' reference.

9/10

Solid episode by all rights the hosts are showing some character and its developing really well.

There is a problem with the length of the show. Alaska should have been worthy of a special. It needed more time to develop and to play with the locals and the trucks. The abridged format just doesn't work.

I see three solutions.

1) Some episodes need to be split as epics
2) Some episodes need to be longer than a single hour slot
3) Full episode online and abridged on air (The Daily Show)

I think this needs a 90 minute slot to work properly and do what the UK edition has been able to do. I see the potential I see the chemistry and I'd keep all three hosts right where they are. I also see the strong improvement in the camera work and production. I can forgive that the studio bits being first season tacked in.

Like others have said, it was a national pride sort of thing. And to be fair, TopGear UK does the same thing with British cars often enough.

Fact is, that Toyota was probably worth at least $5k if you ask me. It was heavily modified with a solid front axle swap and a full lift kit, wheels/tires, etc. That was a serious trail rig. Meanwhile the 3 American trucks were a lot closer to stock (besides the lift on the Ram and the Chevy's motor) and their value was much much lower. And on TopGear UK, often times the punishment/failure vehicle is better than anything the presenters bought, it's just not as flashy. At least here in America, with big lifted trucks, bigger is usually seen as better. A little Toyota with a 4 banger is not always as well received, depending on the type of truck owners you're hanging out with.

Last edited:
Wow, I think I'm gonna have to watch this again because I really did think it was one of the weaker episodes. I figured this was one of the first segments to be filmed because it didn't seem genuine at all :blink:

Still looking forward to the next season!

Things get just better! I gave it 7 because I don't see many challenges out there in terms of offroading. I don't like the way that Dodge and Ford were easily out. I like the beautiful shots of Alaska - as good as TGUK.