[02x01] July 24, 2011

[02x01] July 24, 2011

• Total voters
I think they should ditch the large studio and crowds and change it to a dirty garage/toolshed, with tools and car parts scattered around, racing posters, a muscle car opened like they were just working on it before going on air, Rutledge leaning on the car, Tanner sitting on a workbench, and Adam sitting on an old couch while drinking something (coffee or beer, depends on broadcasting laws).

Y'know, one of those "Men's weekend heaven" so common to many of us :)

(Or they could present the show while sitting on the bed of a large Pick-up truck :D)

Last edited:
Hmmm... Anyone else notice the different interior color and sudden lack of a manual mirror-adjustment lever in Adam's jacked-up Maverick? Or the re-appearing and then quickly-re-disappearing BMW kidneys on the Monster E30? Looks like they called ahead to find some coupes-turned-trucks and then just bought the cheapos to match. I could be wrong, and I'm definitely being picky (commence "car show vs. entertainment show" argument now), but I feel cheated. "We modified our cars overnight" is enough of a stretch, but I really hope they do at least buy the cars and then modify them for the show.

I should note that I don't actually "study" the shows, but with no cable I watch PC-screen Top Gear reruns a lot.

All that said, I liked it. I gave it a 7, but that's because 9 and 10 are reserved for TGUK. Unfair to the 'Murrican boys, I know, but I watched the original, originally. Give me another season and these guys will be standing alone, I think.

I personally find it interesting that many of my fellow America Brothers and Sisters are happier with the US version over the UK version.
I have yet to learn why, are they watching the UK version on TV or downloading the UK version? I am American; I feel like watching the US version is like watching a bird try to fly with a broken wing. All the mechanics are there, the broken wing just holds it to the ground flopping around and you just feel bad for it.

Rut and Adam are starting to gap Foust with on screen personality. Tanner needs to open up more, Im sure he has it, he is just too mannequin like. I did like the whole round-up thing though.

I wouldn't say I'm happier with TGUS over TGUK. They're different experiences.

I discovered TG when a friend sent me the clip of the Reliant Robin Space Shuttle on Youtube. I thought it was pretty good and read about the show online. At about the same time, BBC America played a marathon of Top Gear, so I got to watch several episodes. After that I realized I wanted more of that, so Pirate Bay helped me with that. I enjoy many things about the show, the fast cars (many of which never seem to cross over here to America), the challenges, the epic-length films like Botswana, but most especially I enjoy the three guys screwing around and being car guys. So they bash America, Americans and American cars, so what? Every car person I know has favorites and stuff they don't like just on general principles (Ford vs Chevy anyone?).

But I like TGUS too. I liked the first episode race between the Viper and the Cobra; what town in England would let that happen on their streets? The parts that were most like TGUK were the disappointing ones, because I'd seen that already and it didn't really fit the theme of the show, which was three competitive friends having fun with cars (TGUK on the other hand is obviously three guys who don't care much for each other and one of them is clearly dominant over the others - Clarkson). Other things from season one impressed me too, such as the used car salesman idea; it was brilliant! And the truck challenge in Alaska really went to the heart of American car culture with its Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge theme (and all of them shunning the Toyota).

So, yeah, if TGUS was just supposed to be a clone of TGUK, then it is obviously broken. But its not a clone. Its an American car show with the Top Gear brand name attached and I think its doing a pretty damn good job. Its light years better than TGUK was at the same time in its lifespan.

Watched this after 2x01 (torrents finished weirdly). Overall I thought 2x02 was better, but this was still okay.

This is the first TG episode (US or UK) were I've actually lol'd watching. I dont know why but Adam's gay jokes and Tanner's reaction made me crack up.

Letting them on the highway with all that crap flying everywhere seemed really irresponsible though. That could've potentially done some real damage/caused an accident.

The overnight modifications were obviously staged, theres no way they couldve done all that by themselves in 8 hours.

The new intro blows. I dont mind them changing it from the UK version but make it something decent. Its awful now.

Gave it a 7/10.

Watched this after 2x01 (torrents finished weirdly). Overall I thought 2x02 was better, but this was still okay.

This is the first TG episode (US or UK) were I've actually lol'd watching. I dont know why but Adam's gay jokes and Tanner's reaction made me crack up.

Letting them on the highway with all that crap flying everywhere seemed really irresponsible though. That could've potentially done some real damage/caused an accident.

The overnight modifications were obviously staged, theres no way they couldve done all that by themselves in 8 hours.

The new intro blows. I dont mind them changing it from the UK version but make it something decent. Its awful now.

Gave it a 7/10.

You didn't really watch it. Tell the truth. If your eyes had actually been open, you would have seen the police motorcycles behind the shit dropping cars. Permits were obtained, and police overtime paid.

Since you didn't actually see this episode, your opinion is null and void.

You didn't really watch it. Tell the truth. If your eyes had actually been open, you would have seen the police motorcycles behind the shit dropping cars. Permits were obtained, and police overtime paid.

Since you didn't actually see this episode, your opinion is null and void.

Sk%2525C3%2525A4rmbild-1.png

Yeah those dont look like police motorcycles. No lightbars, wrong colored paint, etc. Thanks for not acting like an asshole about it though.

Any proof they had permits or are you just making shit up?

Sk%2525C3%2525A4rmbild-1.png

Yeah those dont look like police motorcycles. No lightbars, wrong colored paint, etc. Thanks for not acting like an asshole about it though.

Get your Swedish ass down to Texas and fill your Volvo with cow shit. Spread cow shit on highways and roads. There are only two possibilities:

1. Texas residents will shoot the herring and gravlax out of your ass.

2. Texas Highway Patrolmen or local police will throw your ass in jail where a guy named Bubba will introduce you to a diet comprised entirely of alternate protein.

3. Pray that number 2 happens before number 1.

Last edited:
Sandy, while Beech wasn't polite about it, he's right. There really isn't any such thing as unscripted TV in America. They let everyone concerned know about it ahead of time, did the paperwork etc.

By the way, I see you have an S8. I fell in love with that car thanks to the Transporter movies. Please PM me with your opinion of the car, concerns, that sort of thing.

Beech, use the Golden Rule please. Surely your parents taught you that.

don't schools us on what you painfully don't know, or else, you'd be working in California public schools.

can't win...

this was kinda retarded to me, echo replacement for pick-up trucks.... PICK-UP TRUCKS!! meaning carrying big loads! little 2 door cars is not even close to being a replacement!
a little MX5... a little 1.6 or 1.8, that needs revs to move, no torque, Maveric... not even echonomical...
and a e30... 325e... a 2.7 I6 with 120hp... probably even more useless than the rest
they should have found 3 pick-up trucks that are echo friendly, not old cars that's nothing to do with what they're trying to do.
TGUK, usually at least TRY to find a car in their challenges, that is meant somewhat for that task, not trying to buy a 2 seater to replace a bus, or buying a bus to replace formula 1 cars.

Finally got around to watching the first two episodes. I gave this one an 8, by far the highest I've ever given an episode of TGUSA. As some of you know, I HATED Season 1, but this was really good. The new intro is great, the less studio bits (in the first two epioseds anyway) is an improvement, and dare I say it the presenters are building a repoire. And best of all, they did an orginal challenge, not a rehash of a TGUK bit. Rut is still the weak one in my opinion (not sure what he's an expert of exactly?) but he's much better than in Season 1. All in all, this show is starting to live up to the hype.

Rate a 1. Extremely stupid and bad start to the season.

Also, Rutledge forgets another aspect of Miatas: They are really gay cars.