[02x01] May 11th, 2009

[02x01] May 11th, 2009

• Total voters
These things always happen. Your about to type a decent reply and the words leave your head. Anyway, I did think that this new episode was a far better effort. In the first series, they spent too much time trying to imitate the UK hosts and failed quite badly. As a previous comment mentioned, you were essentially forcing yourself to watch it, which is no good. This one though still quite loyal to the original in its set-up made a good effort to be innovative. This series (based on the first episode) makes the last one look like a lost cause. Now all they need to do is refine and improve from here as all shows do. I think I generally gave the previous series episodes a 7 (from this perspective I was probably too kind) so this one gets a 8/10 but in hindsight its far more then 1 point above the previous series.

I was very impressed! Much better than last year. 9/10
I enjoyed the bit where they were trying to re-create the ad where they were chucking stuff in the car and bouncing it off the mini trampoline.
And the reaction of Skaife when he heard the first time that James read out was golden! :D

Really?

That'd hurt it too.

I demand a gif of the Shark Cage Moke crushing the WWTT? Wall.

Warren's face was hilarious when it happened.

I thought it was a massive improvement over the first season, and after watching a bit it kept me glued to the screen rather than previous season where i kept watching in the hope it would get better.

Good to see Warren getting more of a head presenter role because i felt he was the most natural at presenting the show. also good that Charlie has calmed down a bit now and doesnt seem like he is acting all the time.

camera angles getting better also

BTW what were they thinking part for whoever asked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuh_C2IuPr0

Last edited:
Looks better, more interesting. Not sure how the two non-cars guys thing is going to go. Its clear who the real gearhead on the show is. I'd really rather a more informed position, but its entertainment isn't it.

it's shitloads better! and the race went through my actual hometown! The evo and BMW were good too, James isn't a bad presenter after all, just needs to relax into his place a bit more. I'm glad the WWTT board is gone (in a spectacular way) and doing Car Ad Mythbusting was cool too. (I can't believe the ice worked) Skaifey was good too (and the look of his face, lol) and also the explanation of the track too (Since when did Clarkson Corner look like the shape of his head?).

8/10 -1 for some corny bits, -1 for Steve not picking a faster route. He should've gone to the freeways or eastlink since no one uses them.

it's shitloads better! and the race went through my actual hometown! The evo and BMW were good too, James isn't a bad presenter after all, just needs to relax into his place a bit more. I'm glad the WWTT board is gone (in a spectacular way) and doing Car Ad Mythbusting was cool too. (I can't believe the ice worked) Skaifey was good too (and the look of his face, lol) and also the explanation of the track too (Since when did Clarkson Corner look like the shape of his head?).

8/10 -1 for some corny bits, -1 for Steve not picking a faster route. He should've gone to the freeways or eastlink since no one uses them.

yes apparently steves trip shouldnt have taken more than 2 1/2 hours max rather than 4 1/2

I though it would have been nice to let them debate the 135 and the Evo a bit more. That segment didn't have much of a conclusion. Though, their choice of Oran Park was good since it's closing IIRC.

I thought the race was utterly wasted. They should have used a more normal, relevant car. The Lambo was completely wasted, they didn't talk about it much.

I found the commercial and trampoline segments rather weird... would have preferred some witty news instead, but I'm not Aussie so maybe I'm missing something.

Compared to the last series, looking good. Still off the mark, but definitely improving much faster than Top Gear UK did in their second season. James seems like a good presenter, he's pretty classy and he offsets the loonyness of Warren and Steve fairly well. He just needs to warm up a bit.

7/10, solid.

Last edited:
I though it would have been nice to let them debate the 135 and the Evo a bit more. That segment didn't have much of a conclusion. Though, their choice of Oran Park was good since it's closing IIRC.

I thought the race was utterly wasted. They should have used a more normal, relevant car. The Lambo was completely wasted, they didn't talk about it much.

I found the commercial and trampoline segments rather weird... would have preferred some witty news instead, but I'm not Aussie so maybe I'm missing something.

Compared to the last series, looking good. Still off the mark, but definitely improving much faster than Top Gear UK did in their second season. James seems like a good presenter, he's pretty classy and he offsets the loonyness of Warren and Steve fairly well. He just needs to warm up a bit.

7/10, solid.

to fully understand the ad test bit you needed to have seen this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXCacfMUa-U[/YOUTUBE]

Personally I was hoping to see James more in a host role where as it appears that that role is being shared amoungest the three of them.

It was bloody brilliant.

~ They don't seem like they are reading off an autocue.
~ Morrison suits the others well. Makes Steve and Warren look like the good blokes they are.
~ The stories have time to be shown properly.
~ The challenges look good.

They actually listened to the veiwers and put together a great show. It will hopefully get better from here making it a good all round car show.

Two thumbs up!

The only enjoyable segments are near the end of the Lambo race, and walking through of the track. Still needs a lot of improvement. The studio segments are pretty bad, I didn't even like the V8 juicer in the original TG, I really hope they cut down on the stupid stunts a bit.

The only enjoyable segments are near the end of the Lambo race, and walking through of the track. Still needs a lot of improvement. The studio segments are pretty bad, I didn't even like the V8 juicer in the original TG, I really hope they cut down on the stupid stunts a bit.

There's this show called Fifth Gear, you might like that :p

Well, I'm a bit late to the party but I think that episode was a vast improvement over last season too. Steve and Warren seemed more at ease and James fitted in much better (with them) than Charlie Cox did. James seemed to be enjoying himself, which is something Charlie never really seemed to do.

The test between the Evo and BMW was the highlight for me. The camera work was great, with plenty of good angles .. looked more polished than last years reviews. Editing was better too.

The challenge was good in concept and more modest and achievable than some of the stuff they did last year, but it still seemed to peter out at the end.

Liked the in studio stunt segment .. hopefully, they can find enough material to keep that up for a few more episodes.

I will miss the news segment, but "What were they thinking?" got an appropriate send off. Hopefully, they will have some news in episodes recorded closer to the airing date.

I think the ratings might be affected by the lack of publicity.

I only found out about season 2 starting when I went on my casual Final Gear visit and noticed the ticker saying the episode was starting in an hour! Either way the Media Centre would've recorded it for me :)

I never had a massive problem with Charlie asides from his me too isms but I think that it's now sort of got that feeling of Top Gear but not Top Gear - eg it's kinda got it's own feel now

There's this show called Fifth Gear, you might like that :p

I do watch Fifth Gear. For the last few seasons FG tried to copy TG's style (and fails horribly), but from the last season it seems like they are back to their usually informative reviews now.