[02x01] May 11th, 2009

[02x01] May 11th, 2009

• Total voters
OK, on it's OWN merits, I gave it a 6. My girlfriend has never watched any Top Gear before and she was bored shitless, as was I.

A really boring episode. Mark Skaife and destroying WWTT saved it.

Great great episode. I'm glad they finally don't only have one guy commenting on the shots all the time. alternation is good.

The ad recreation wasn't too bad despite the camera angles being a little awkward. Who'd have thought a thawed out chicken could bounce that high! :D

OMG I know! That chicken frigging flew. I do not envy whatever lowly work experience kid had to wipe down the Proton after that. The look on James and Warrens' faces when they were poised to drop the double bass was pretty hilarious too.

and after watching a bit of it again tonight, I never realised how bad Charlie Cox was...I think I'm going to go back and watch a season one episode and cringe though. Especially the SIABSC interview.

I like it very much. Especially the flying chicken. Be free, fly chicken XD

Yes, i sat here and defended the show all last season saying things like "give it time to come into its own", al the while thinking how bad it stank. i wanted so hard to give it a good honest chance. people were ripping it because it was nothing like the UK version and so on. i was hoping so much that they would be better this season, well, they are. i gave it an 8/10 simply because of potential. it was natural, it flowed ok and it was entertaining. i saw someone write earlier how they only tested one car, well, thats the point of the show. i know im in america and i dont know of all the car shows you have in Australia, but, the Top Gear concept is 3 friends screwing around and talking about cars and, well, guy stuff. this show has been refined to what it should be, i didnt ever see them trying to be Jezza, hammond or may, they were just themselves. awsome job, this will be Great! now, with that said, there are a few things i hope to see fixed in the near future.

1) the race challenge. i love that the UK show always has a point to the race such as the truffle race. everyone knows traffic sucks and i hope they were just trying to relate the race concept to the audiance. i want to see the car start at the same point as the challenge. i want to feel that someone has challenged the other two guys because he found a car that he thinks can beat them. i know its set up in the UK to feel that way, but, it works. loved the race though!

2) the segments. they were much better, i was actually laughing during the first segment, they did a great job. "lets break in the new boy" was funny, however, it wasnt as seamless as it will be in the future.

3) missing element! look, there are 4 things that you MUST have for a show to be called Top Gear. the challenges, the stig, the star in some kind of car and the NEWS. where was the NEWS!

so, again 8 out of 10. great great great improvment. its onlygonna get better!

A well presented episode and a solid 8 for me.

Jame's maniacal laughter on the waverunner during the middle of the challenge had me giggling like crazy, even if he did choose the sucky Evo X. Go the manual if you want to drag rwd cars as then you can at least do a 4wd launch! Skaifes interview was good, esp the bit about upside down in the GT-R in Adelaide (darm him and his Nissan destroying ways!).

I liked the ad reproduction and I was more fearful that stuff was going to hit the studio audience (though that would have been hilarious) and the retro ads are comedy gold in the current climate of Politically Correct Advertising, bring em on ;)

I hope each new episode is a step up from here, because they certainly are approaching the standard of 5th Gear, which would leave them 2nd only to the Original TG Team, which is perfectly understandable.

It was a huge improvement compared to season 1. Well done!!

However, I'm a bit annoyed by Steve's nasal voice...

And can I just say? James looks completely like Mr. Magoo!!

0,,11075900,00_000.jpg

James_000.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, what an improvement over season 1. It seems any version of Top Gear needs to replace the presenter no-one liked in season 1 with a musician named James.

On its own merits, this was very watchable, especially the Skaife interview as I'm a huge fan of his. I think given another season or so this could become a good replacement for the original Top Gear while that's in between series.

A solid 7 from me. James is way better than Charlie, and they seem to get along with each other well. TG Au also seems to be coming up with their own ideas for once such as the throwing things into a car bit (which I highly enjoyed.) I liked how they straightened all of the Stig confusion up, and I even LOL'ed at the "Made in China" joke.

Overall a big improvement over Season 1.

Now, If you'll all excuse me, I'm off to watch some TG UK. :)

Huge improvement over S1.

No Charlie, and I think in a couple of episodes, James will start coming into his own.

Whole show seems to be finding it's own legs now.

Solid 8 from me.

Z

It was good, no it was very good.
I really enjoyed the show.

Nice review of the Evo, Test Track explained, SIABSC interesting, bouncing chooks & grannies, funny race across the bay.

Great! :)

7/10

Meh, I gave it a 7. It was better than most TG.Au's, but still wasn't great. The race especially was rather boring. So slow and kinda rigged (i.e. the truck).

solid 7 out of 10 i would say. better than wha it was. because they had segment to introduce track, host and stig, they would catch up on segments in the next episodes i think
crowd was great. better than last series. track filming has improved. probably need chopper shooting at the areas of hills.
best part of the show was that advertisement reproduction. couldnt stop laughing.

I think BIG improvement. I didn't really like the show a whole lot, but I didn't gag even once.

I think the camera work was improved over last season and James beats Charlie dead.

Now they just need to come up with something that is really fun.

Excellent, compared to last year. Something I may watch again later. :)

Last year - three guys trying to look like they were having fun.

This year - three guys having fun.

Much, much better effort this time! Better chemistry, better pacing of the program, and a little more lighthearted as well. I'm really looking forward to the next one.

This was a huge improvement over series 1. One thing that stood out for me was that they stopped trying to sound Australian (or what people around the world think an Australian sounds like - we don't all say 'bonza mate'...)

The flow was quite good too, but i did feel that the old ad felt a little bit tacked on.

10 points on the filming of the test track!! I could actually see that there was a car going around this time, plus the walkthrough was good - i didn't know about all the elevation changes.

All we can hope for is further improvement from the team - i'm giving it an 8/10 :)

It was true what people posted on the first pages of this thread. Much more dynamic and "laidback" than the first season. So much more fun when watching still not TG UK but who would have thinked so. :D

I enjoyed it too. I waited a couple of nights after I'd downloaded it to watch it, but next time I might even watch it the next night :). James' physical appearance seems a little bit out of place compared to the other two, but I'm sure that is only because he is new. Once the producers understand his strengths and "characterise" him, he will be fine.

Looking forward to next week.

great first episode! way way better than cock cox :)

A little OT: Im in Sydney right now and will be for the next few weeks. Where can I get TGA studio tickets? and how much would that set me back? :) I mean if they're not yet done filming. If they are, I just wanted to know where so that I could grab a few for next season :)